Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

11/18/2006

Bird Day for a Bird Clan

We have probably posted about Thanksgiving before, but for new peepers it bears repeating. When you live in a Poly household, or any blended family for that matter, holidays can become the 3-headed monster wailing in the corner! Swan's family is in Colorado. My family is about 1 hour north of us. Our Ex (what I call Tom's ex-wife, because she is my ex-wife too, after all) is in town with our son. Tom's parents live here in a Senior Care facility. Tom's daughter and her SO live over an hour north. There are logistics whenever we plan an event. Tom's Mom cannot travel, so we cook, haul, and travel to her with all the various elements for whatever Holiday we are celebrating. There will be 9 of us coming from 4 directions. Swan will do the bird, stuffing, potatoes and gravy. The Ex will do her special potatoes, green bean casserole, and champagne. The daughter and SO will haul from the SO's family as quickly as possible, usually bearing flowers for Swan, Ex, and Grandma and some silly item for Moi (last year it was a stuffed turkey that gobbled and sang). And I will do the prep, sides, breads, and pies. Tom, son, SO, and Grandpa will try to stay out of our way. Grandma will try to appear less confused than she truly is. And we will all be thankful that we are all together again, praying that we have another year. And when it is all over and we have been able to haul all our dirties to our respective homes, Tom, Swan, and I will be ever so thankful that we are a family and that we have each other....... and that we don't have to do that for another month!

........ Until the next day..... My family is 1 hour north. It is just too hard to do Bird Day Deux so we usually go up to my Mom's 1 day that weekend for a big blow-out Mexican dinner. Nope, no one is Latino. We just have had enough Bird and fixings and all love Mexican food, so we just make it a "thing". My brother's wife does several items. My Mom does her thing. Swan and I make some stuff and we all converge at Mom's. Usually about 12 or so people and it is as loud and crazy as the previous meal was calm. My Mom is the Mom-of-All. She just scoops people up. It's always been her way. And Swan is not just "T's friend", she is treated as family at Mom's. My brother's kids treat her as another Aunt. She is included in everything, there is never a question of her not being at a family event.....why?......well....cuz she IS family. We have never discussed the Poly-thing with the family. It's just not necessary. They all know that Swan is a valued part of Tom's and my life and that is good enough.

So wherever, however, whenever you give Thanks this week. Remember to "Give Thanks" for family. I have a bunch. But the one I am most thankful for is the one I get to come home to every night. Tom & Swan. They are the best. They are my heart.

Have a great Holiday!

T

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:17 PM

    very nice entry, T! It sounds like wonderful way to spend holidays...with family. As I said in a previous comment...I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.