Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/21/2007

Polyamory Observations # 7


I had occasion through a good part of my adult life to participate in many, many potluck meals. Potlucks are a common social phenomenon among Quakers (at least the ones with whom I spent time).


Over the years, I came to develop some interesting sociological theories about potlucks and human behavior. One thing that I came to believe quite strongly was that there is an inverse relationship between the quality of a potluck meal and the number of participants. To put it plainly, people seem to feel a diminishing level of responsibility to provide a quality contribution when they know there will be a plethora of food on the table. If there are likely to be 150 different dishes brought to a gathering, then the effort invested in many of them will be less than can be expected if there are only going to be 8-12 participants at the event. I believe it is about how visible people feel. That single factor changes the level of investment.

Some people like those great, big, random, sort of sloppy, not too interesting, nothing to write home about kind of potlucks. They enjoy that sort of meal where you can count of five varieties of brownies, and a half dozen bags of chips, and a whole mess of pasta salads, and more pans of lasagna than you can shake a stick at. For me, I'd rather have eight or ten dishes that people have considered carefully and invested some effort and energy into. The sort of unique and interesting offerings you get when friends are actually sharing with one another on a level where they know that everyone knows who brought what.


Which is a long, meandering way of bringing me to where I need to be to talk about where my mind has been these last few days in terms of my thinking about polyamory, and the way that we do it -- or at least the way that it seems that I do it.



Because, I do think that it is clearer to me than it used to be that there are levels to polyamory practice: there is the macro-level where we can see poly groups doing whatever it is that they are doing. People tend to describe these dynamics in terms of their geometry, or in terms of how the whole group relates together. Hence we get descriptives like "quad," "triad," "web," "clan," etc. Then there is a relational level that relates to how partners interact. Sometimes these dynamics are labeled as primary, secondary, tertiary, etc. The one level that gets very little attention, and about which I've found hardly any information is the individual level. No matter how else we talk about it, polyamory involves individuals, and each and every one of those human persons is going to bring to the practice of poly a set of wants and needs and desires -- as well as a whole range of style and personality factors that will impact how they do poly.


I know there are people who approach polyamory in much the same way that some people do potluck suppers -- the more the merrier. They gather up various relationships and form connections every which way. When you try to get a fix on the connections and interwoven relationships, it is a little like browsing the groaning tables -- a little of this and a bit of that. There are wives and husbands and boyfriends and girlfriends and primaries, secondaries, and tertiaries all over the place. The social calendars for these folks have to be something to behold.


I'll be honest, I get uncomfortable even thinking about that kind of polyamory. I'm too shy. Too slow to connect. I like to get to know the people around me and then I like it to stay that way. I don't like change and I don't like strangers and I don't like uncertainty. I know, with a pure, clear, unwavering certainty, that anyone who comes into the relational dynamic from outside is going to make things unstable and messy. The minute a new person appears on the horizon, I can feel the energy shift, and I get edgy -- like a cat in a thunderstorm.



That's me -- just the way I am. I am prone to swirling doubts. That's where I ended up this last weekend. And, when I am in that place, I am painfully aware of how far my reactions fall from the "ideal" of "more love makes more love" poly that is SOLD in the happily ever after books that get written on the subject.


It isn't that poly is "bad," or that I'm bad at it. It is just that there are times when it is difficult, challenging, scary. Whatever they tell you in those cleverly written books on the subject, it is very rare that everyone in a poly relationship falls in love with a new partner at the same time, feels the same intensity of affection for everyone involved in a relationship, is as secure about every part of every relationship, is as interested in forming new connections as everyone else, feels as secure about themselves as everyone else does, etc... All those "mismatches" can make poly feel less than "wonderful" on any given outing. It doesn't mean that poly is a bad idea or that I'm bad at doing it. That's the thing that I have to remember... because when I'm feeling shaky and scared, it is easy to get into believing that I'm the one who is out of place, doing it wrong, needing to rethink.


As Himself tells me, if we were doing monogamy, and things were tough or stressful or challenging, I'd probably never question "monogamy" or its underlying validity. I'd likely simply suck it up and tough it out because, after all, it is the way it is done. Poly doesn't have that same status, so it is easy to question it; blame it; know with a guilty certainty that it must be the reason that things feel difficult.


It is hard. To do this in front of so many eyes. It feels like whatever I say, however I experience this carries weight far beyond my personal sense of it all. When I get the jitters, I end up feeling like a fraud, a failure, a fake. In those moments, I desperately want to go hide. To not have to struggle and stretch and reach for whatever is coming next while I am so aware of having an "audience." Maybe, once I figure it all out, it will all feel better.


swan

7 comments:

  1. I know that no path in life is easy, but poly is certainly one of the more difficult paths one can choose. It's the "grad school" of relationships and requires a high level of emotional maturity, boundaries, love, respect, and trust. It can be wonderful, of course, but it can also be extremely tough.

    I really appreciate hearing your truth. It's is similar to mine, and it's helpful to know I am not alone is my struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's what I'm doing wrong!

    I need to change our ad to "looking for someone who will bring to the table brazed lamb in a raspberry glaze" because we usually get those with an armful of sweaty "drive-thru" burgers...and without condiment packets.

    All joking aside, you are right and I say that merely from the standpoint of a couple who patiently pursue's an organically grown poly relationship and not at all inside of one.

    I love your posts on this topic and hold them very valuable.

    Thank you for that.

    TOH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:26 PM

    I wrote some comments on one of your less recent posts that were – quite properly – ignored.

    I guess my question was prompted by my curiosity of how a person in a polyamoris relationship gets bent all out of shape over the possible addition of another member in the group.

    I think you answered my question very clearly.

    I’m presently caught in the middle of two very prominent heart doctors as to how long I will live without heart surgery. (It is a question of ‘how long’ because there is no way the surgery is going to happen. - Even the test to help them decide if surgery is possible is ‘high risk’ and likely to put me on dialysis for the rest of my life.) My youngest son is extremely upset because he feels that my dying of kidney failure or heart failure is unjust. - He thinks it should be the liver.

    The situation has prompted considerable thought about Heaven. Unlike most Christians I strongly believe there is sex in Heaven. (If not I want to go somewhere else.) Also, unlike most Christians, I believe Heaven in chock a block full of Muslims and Mormons. – There may even be a few Quakers (lol). I also strongly believe that the central love of heaven is the love of one man for one woman. I am kind of looking forward to finding out how that is going to work.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:42 PM

    this is such a fascinating series of observations - thank you again for bringing a clear, present and real voice to all this.

    this last post makes me wonder, what is the other side of the shaky, fraud, doubting times? what balances the stretch marks? i guess i find myself hoping that as time passes, the waves of doubt and uncertainties might quiet, even still. it is terribly tempting to think & feel that the insecurity is some cosmic indicator that the behavior is Wrong. i think it is very wise of Tom to note that in a monogamous situation, the same feelings would not feed so readily on the basic relationship structure. i guess fear wants something outside itself to blame, with the closest, most novel being the first & best targets. hmmmm.

    thank you so much for the good thinking material!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:48 AM

    Grrrr...Blogger seems to have eaten my comment again!! (smiles and sighs)

    I like to get to know the people around me and then I like it to stay that way. I don't like change .........and I don't like uncertainty.

    I can relate to this completely. In the end, it was the opposite of this situation which ended things on a D/s level for R and I.

    I haven't forgotten I still have to write the summary of that writing assignment on poly/mono, but my head's just not been in the right place for the words to come out properly.

    love and hugs to you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got this comment through in my email from LynLass -- apparently she's having some issue with Blogger... So, I'll put it here for her. swan

    For some reason, I can't even connect to Blogger to add a comment. So here it is.

    I think you just explained why I have been both fascinated and unable to wrap my head around polyamory. I agree with you about potlucks. But even better is a very small dinner party with only a few people. I tend to end up with the least interesting person (for me) whenever the group exceeds six or so.

    But truly, the other piece is that it has only been in the last few years that I have felt able to trust other women. I still haven't figured out exactly why that is, but it is true. I've noted that it seems that the more established "clans" are headed by and male with additional females. Now maybe if I'd been able to have two men!

    And I, like you, want a relationship that is more and deeper than I would be able to find with many partners. So instead, I have a wonderful relationship that satisfies most of my needs and listen and learn from your writings. Thank you so much for your openness and willingness to let us peek into your life.

    LynLass


    My ex-husband had an esophogeal spasm several years ago. It was one of the scariest things I've ever had to deal with in a partner. I'm so glad both you and T are OK. I hadn't commented earlier as I've been "off-line" for a couple of months. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. tangerine -- I imagine that you and I would sit and talk for hours and hours should that opportunity present itself... In fact, perhaps we ought to make a date and see if we don't find that to be the case.

    jack -- I've not tried to ignore you. It's been incredibly busy here. I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell again, and wish you all the best. My guess is that, for each of us, "heaven" is precisely whatever will be experienced as "heavenly."

    traveler -- There are not all "stretchy" and "doubt-filled" days. I have long periods where I cruise along feeling fine and stable and sane and secure. It is just the business of sensing a newcomer on the horizon that makes me crazy. I don't like people that much, and newcomers (even if they are just social acquaintances) take me out of my comfort levels. That makes me nuts.

    m:e -- I haven't really had time to completely understand the nature of your relational webs, or what really brought your one D/s relationship to an end, but I do sense that it is somehow reflective of our dynamics at the emotional level. Thank you for sharing.

    LynLass -- I, too, share your inherent mistrust of women. Perhaps it was growing up with all those brothers. Whatever it is, I tend to view other women coming toward us with suspcion. THAT particular reaction was not lessened by the experience with "the other one."

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.