Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/26/2009

Bleeding Hearts

On a pretty regular basis, people who hear that I relocated from Denver to Cincinnati, ask me if I don't miss Denver. After all, they will commonly observe, Denver is beautiful, and Cincinnati is -- well... Cincinnati.

Cincinnati is the Rodney Dangerfield of American cities... Remember his signature line -- "I don't get no respect."

I tend to answer that question with a series of observations about the differences between the two places. It is my way to point out that there are charms and delights to be found here, even as there were in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

One of the things that I love about this place, is that there is springtime here. Dependably. The winter will fade away and the warmth and light will come flooding back and the earth blooms in an ever-changing palette of color and texture. It is like watching a slowly unfolding, and enormous, impressionist painting.

There are things that grow here, and flowers that bloom here that I just love. I have bleeding hearts in my garden. I have always loved these delicate and lovely little plants. My grandmother called them "pocket book plants," and her garden was the first place I ever saw them when I was a child of perhaps five or six years.

You cannot grow bleeding hearts in Denver. It is simply too dry and too hot and the season comes too late. In Denver, spring blooms routinely get flattened by those notorious late spring snow storms. Far better to stick to the hardy, and sun-loving summer bloomers. If you live in the foothills, it is best to put a painting of bleeding hearts on your living room wall.

My bleeding hearts come up each spring, and I am always surprised. I have not had them long enough to take them for granted. They come poking through the warming soil in the early spring, and I look at them and ask myself what that plant is... and then they burst into bloom, and I am once again delighted and enraptured and enchanted.

And so it is that I have come to put down roots, literally and figuratively, in this place I now call home. There are no soaring peaks and very few of the stunning vistas that were my joy in my Colorado home, but here there are lovely colors and a warm and musical springtime and bleeding hearts in my garden.

swan

6 comments:

  1. swan - those photos are beautiful. I have always loved bleeding hearts, and mine have just popped up. No flowers yet, but it won't be long.

    I also have a variety with white flowers, and one with chartreuse foliage, but I like the traditional ones best.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring is right up there with Fall as my favourite season but what i love best from this post is your reminder to us ALL to look for beauty ... that special, unique beauty, that can be found everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish15:53 PM

    Oh, Swan, I so agree. I love my bleeding hearts, so delicate and lovely. I think they are my favorite. The bluebells are a close second because they are so lovely as well, and each year I'm so afraid they won't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally agree, bleeding hearts are so pretty.
    Swan is it ok if i use one of these for my desktop wallpaper?

    Big Hugs
    His mija~

    ReplyDelete
  5. mija -- Of course! If you want my poor little photos on your desktop, you are surely welcome to them.

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. #3 is on my desktop as we speak. I love it.

    Big Hugs
    His mija~

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.