Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/02/2006

Thinking about Blogging

There have been two entries at two different blogs in the last few days that have had me feeling "pensive."

One was a piece that lenora put up about an unknown, and now probably unknowable writer, who came and stayed in the world of blogging about "what it is that we do" -- and then (apparently feeling discouraged) left again. It has that lingering sense of I was here but no one really noticed me feel to it. Makes me want to go, "but wait..." And of course, there isn't anyone to say, "but wait..." to. Part of me knows that it is extremely unlikely that the invisible explorer who leaves that whisper behind will really vanish permanently. I know, as lenora puts it, that the toothpaste cannot be put back into the tube. Still, the days of trying to pull that trick off can be painful and lonely... I wonder WHY the blog was begun; what hopes imbued that reaching out -- and what hurting caused the drawing back. And part of me feels sad and sorry and a little bit ashamed. I never found this one I don't think. But if I did, I doubt I'd have invested much time or energy. Not the overly friendly sort. As I look around the circle, I know there are far more friendly ones than me; and I know that I annoy the heck out of even those who do put up with me... way too blunt and way too opinionated and not nearly interesting enough. It's far more likely that this one would have been drawn to the brighter lights of the BDSM blogging circle. I just wonder how that must be when you are new and scared and tentative and trying to figure it all out.

Then there's this bit of uncertainty from kaya about why she continues to write her own online journal at this point. Her life and mine couldn't be more different, and yet we sometimes find congruence in our thinking -- although I think I've stepped on her toes here recently without intending to. Still, I fully understand the dichotomy that comes with the business of writing what lies within while knowing it is read by those who are "outside." To stay open and honest while keeping your balance in the face of that is a difficult and delicate thing. She balances a much bigger and much more demanding fan club than I do -- with more grace.

So, why write? Why write this way? I think for each of us the answer is different.

For me, the first and enduring answer is because He told me to -- has not told me I can stop. What I write has never been defined or dictated, so I just write: my thinking, my feelings, our lives. There are surely more intense blogs. I know this. There are blogs that get far higher readership and many more comments. There are times when what I think annoys people, or baffles people, or simply bores people. There have been times when people have been angry with me, or angry with Him, or critical of us. I've just kept writing. There have been people, along the way, that I've come to feel close to. Some have stayed for the long haul -- some have vanished and are deeply missed. I don't think I've ever deleted a comment that wasn't one of ours (deleted comments are usually one of the ones that one of us puts up, finds a typo in, and then takes down and re-posts with corrections).

I also write because it helps me think, helps me sort, helps me settle. I talk to myself here. Sometimes it feels like talking in an empty room. Sometimes that feels frustrating. Sometimes not. I try to remember I'm not (primarily) writing for an audience, although my statistics tell me there is one. It isn't that kind of blog. Sometimes, what gets written here gets conversations going. That can be good.

I don't know. I still am not sure what THIS is. It really isn't a community in any real sense. Not a neighborhood. Not a gathering place. I wanted it to be that, but it really is an odd sort of empty sort of concert hall -- or collection of concert halls, where each of us comes to sing our particular song. I do wonder if all of us are well suited for concert halls...

swan

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Maybe you should consider that some of us like you because you are blunt and opinionated rather than in spite of it.

    In my extended family, we don't see each other often. There's loads of them, but we rarely cross paths. However, when something happens...a death for example, the entire family is at hand. You know in an instant that you can call Great Aunt Ida and the ball starts rolling from there. Then it is as if we are all togehter all the time. A few wistfully remark that it should always be like that, but it never happens till the next family emergency. Sometimes, families are like that. As are communities. I know with certainty that I could call any one of a dozen people within my community should I have an emergency and need help with the lil'ones, but I do not interact with these people every day.
    In blogging, only a handful remark to posts or say something or email, yet when something dire happens, bloggers rally like any other extended family or community. Sometimes for the greater good, sometimes forf the not so good, but it never fails to rouse a few into action.

    If you are hired for example, to teach a class for a weekend and you arrive and instead of the 300+ promised people only 3 show up...do you do less of a good job of teaching because there are only three people or do you do just as good of a job as you would have for 300?

    Just my thoughts, random and scattered as usual.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:32 PM

    "because He told me to -- has not told me I can stop."

    And just that simply, no matter how different our lives are, we connect.

    Whether you stepped on my toes once really doesn't matter. Maybe I just have big feet. Maybe I need my toes stepped on so I remember to keep them on the ground where they belong.

    :-)

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with magdala.

    But I think at times it's more art gallery. Stepping in, looking, relating, chatting with the person next to you about the picture. Distant with a touch of loving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i also agree with magdala?? she said it oh so well....

    i wonder sometimes why i write my blog.. especially the fictional one Sir now has me doing.. i honestly am not enjoying it... but then.. shrug.. i will write till He tells me to stop.

    My original one (as i have come to call it) spews forth whatever the devil is on my mind that particular day/moment. i try very hard to close my eyes to who comes to visit and who doesn't... who comments and who doesn't... i try very hard to stay focused on the writing.. on the clearing the air.. on the reflection.. on the whatever it is that day i am spewing about. (and yeah some days it is just spewing !!)

    god i didn't mean to ramble so..

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think about My own case, where I read any number of blogs -- of the posts I read, perhaps 1/10 I think about commenting upon. Of those 1/10, perhaps 1/10 of the time I actually DO end up leaving a comment. So perhaps 1 post out of 100 ends up with a commnet from Me.

    But those 99 posts haven't ceased to exist for Me; they have, to varying degrees, stayed with Me. And so I have to assume that at least some of My posts simlilarly have created some "traction" in others, reagrdless of the number of comments or lack thereof.

    So, it's not a "community" in any traditional sense . . . not the virtual neighborhood bar one might hope a blog could become. But it's more than an emnpty concert hall, too. It's a concert hall, better-attended at some times than at others, where all the visitors absorb the echoes of the songs sung there. Sometimes they leave a note on their way out, usually they don't. But those echoes are with them.

    --Lenora

    ReplyDelete
  6. -raising hand.... new and scared and tentative and trying to figure it all out here.

    And enjoying all the galleries!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:50 AM

    I for one, “new and scared and tentative and trying to figure it all out,” would be absolutely lost without the handful of blogs I visit on a daily basis. I have learned so much from you and others who take the time to share your thoughts. And because of these blogs, I have finally come to accept myself – that side of myself I’ve repressed for many, many years – as okay. Unique and different, yes, but not sick, twisted or immoral.

    Your post is very timely for me, for I have been giving much thought to starting my own blog. Not a blog detailing my lifestye, for I’ve barely dipped my toe into the water, but a place, for now, where I can work out a better understanding of what I read and hear. Oftentimes the act of writing, especially when one envisions an audience (albeit a small one), can encourage better thinking and create a commitment to reason something out to the point of conclusion. If I do decide to begin an online journal, I hope I can contribute something meaningful to the discussions in which you and others so generously and intelligently engage your readers.

    ~rdmk

    ReplyDelete
  8. swan I visit daily, I don't always comment as I often don't know the subject or have anything sensible to say.
    I read you because you write well and intelligently and cause me to think.
    I love it that you and a few like you are breaking the mold and expanding our horizons, by ours I mean the human race.
    Hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:20 PM

    i think we all have a desire to be seen, to be known in progressively more open and accepted ways, to be responded to in meaningful ways, to connect & find patterns that are pleasing. we are (mostly) hard-wired for love and for community, whatever forms suit us.

    write on, sister! it is generally a pleasure to crawl into your thoughtspace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:28 AM

    I read you because you're eloquent and elegant and I can slip into the way you formulate with ease and understanding. I learn from reading you, although your life and mine could not be farther apart.

    In the past I've blogged for therapeutic reasons, in a quest for understanding and kinship, to be "heard". Now I write because writing is my favourite mode of expression, but first and foremost to celebrate my relationship with a remarkable man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:05 PM

    I like your concert hall. In fact, over the last 5 years, while I’ve explored WIITWD, this is one of only three blogs that have remained constant since the time I discovered each.

    I started reading here to discover something about the poly life style and see if it might be for me. It isn’t. However, the high level of thought that appears to go into what you write has continued to keep me reading. I have frequently been challenged, but I have never been truly angry about anything I have read here.

    I am truly glad that your Master has directed you to write and never ordered that you cease. That would truly create a major loss in my circle of regular reading. Thank you both for what you write and who you are.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.