Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/09/2007

Ownership and Being Owned

I've been following an intense discussion going on in the last few days. The whole exchange has been lengthy and complex and interesting on a lot of different levels, and I've not been an active participant. I do think that magdala summarizes a lot of the salient points well in this post and the one that follows it. The discussion has been wide ranging, and it is interesting because it is being carried on by a number of people who are involved in living the life.

I've been watching and thinking about it. Wondering what there was for me to say. As usual, I've been struck by the enormous surface differences between my life, and magdala's, and kaya's. Surely, there is very little that makes their paths and mine look the same. Yet each of us self-define as "slave." Perhaps that is important. Perhaps not.

I agree with kaya that words do mean something. It is valuable to define our terms. If we simply say that "slavery" in the sense that we use it within the lifestyle means whatever people say it means "for them," then it very quickly comes to mean nothing at all, and we lose the ability to use it to convey anything by the words. If, when we speak of power exchange, or "power forfeiture," it doesn't denote something that, at least in general terms, we can all point to and say, "that is it," then we have no way to speak to our lives at all.

With that said, I want to take a different approach to this discussion here. Rather than posit the extremes, let me paint the notion that in ownership dynamics -- which is what we are discussing, there is the necessity of focusing on the core member of the dynamic: the Owner. Almost always, when I hear/read discussions of what would or would not be "OK" within these relationships; what would be what magdala refers to as a "deal breaker," things usually devolve to the point of where would it have to go for the "owned" partner to say "no." In my view, the more critical issue, from the outset (and always), is what path or vision does the Owner have in mind. Within ownership driven relationships, the real operative issue is does the Owner have the right/power to envision an outcome, and then move toward bringing forth that creation.

Given that definition, kaya lives within a "real" and valid ownership dynamic where the One who owns her has the right and power to implement His vision in bringing forth the creation of His slave as He sees that reality. So does Magdala. So do I. The fact that kaya may spend most of her time locked in a small basement room while I am sent out to "mold and shape young minds" is a comparison that is perhaps analogous to the differences in techniques used by DaVinci and Picasso -- different Owners with different ultimate creative outcomes in mind. Tomorrow, kaya could find herself trudging off to classes to learn how to teach, and I could find myself locked in the closet. Each of us would likely experience some significant "property" style cognitive-whiplash should that actually happen, but it is within the realm of possibility. Each of us have Owners who could see a different vision with the sunrise.

I will argue that the driving force in "ownership dynamic" relationships must be the Owner. Under that model, all the fussing about which slave is the most slave-like (based on who handles the highest levels of pain, or spends the most time chained to the bedpost, or has the fewest choices with regards to clothing or hair style or employment, etc.) becomes academic, because the real question in each case is, "what does the particular Owner choose or want from the slave?" Just as, in other arenas, some might choose to own Fords, or Hondas, or BMW's, so in the realm of lifestyle slavery, Owners will make decisions about how to model/shape the nature of the dynamic with their individual slaves.

Like magdala, I find kaya's declarations that she has no "deal-breakers" disquieting, and disturbing. I understand the depth of committment and passion and trust that drives that statement. I think I even understand what it means to come to a point in your life where you simply decide to stop equivocating and say something definitive. So, I believe that what is really going on here is an attempt to state that the point of entering into an Ownership dynamic relationship is that the consent to becoming "property" is a one-time thing. Done. Over with. It is not an on-going negotiation. So quit asking, or operating on some other set of assumptions. Fair enough.

Still.

I do not entirely believe that there is no breaking point. No point where there would be "too far." No limit. AND, I do not believe it even has to get as horrific as the sort of life and death, taboo, sort of scenarios that magdala proposes. I believe, in my heart, that those of us who enter into ownership dynamics do so with a certain and sure understanding of those with whom we create those bonds. We trust that the earth will not shift radically under our feet; that the Master will not change the definitions totally so that the world that we find ourselves living in "down the road" is entirely outside the realm of what we anticipated.

But, since we are engaging in hypotheticals, let's play "what if." Owners have the power to create their world's the way they want them to be. This is hot and squishy and intriguing when it is titillating. However this isn't always sexy. What if we take the future, hypothetical shifting of "Ownership" demand out of the sexy realm? What if any or each of us were to get this sort of direction from the One to whom we have pledged our obedience?

I've had a revelation.
I've been on the wrong path.
I understand that SM is "bad, sick, and abusive."
So, the first thing that you must do is pack up and discard all of the paddles, whips, clamps, clips, and other "toys."
Dismantle all of the restraints and bondage gear.
From now on, I want our relationship to contribute to the well-being of mankind and the earth, so each day your "tasks" will be as follows:
Monday -- volunteer at the homeless shelter
Tuesday -- voulnteer for a local agency for people with developmental disabilities
Wednesday -- volunteer for an agency that works for the environment
Thursday -- volunteer for the local Headstart
Friday -- volunteer for a local agency for the aging/elderly
I expect you to journal about each of your daily activities just as you have been doing.

Oh yes, I've also decided that as part of my ongoing spiritual quest, I am adopting the practice of celibacy, so please dispose of the bed and purchase two simple twin beds for the bedroom."

Which of us, slaves, would stand by that "no deal-breakers" stance?

swan






5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:23 PM

    There is one theory that states that if a Master ceases behaving as a Master, then all bets are off. A Master who chooses to go vanilla, which by any standards of bdsm vs. vanilla your account of the 'new relationship' is vanilla, by default loses his status as Master and therefore, the slave is also no longer a slave.

    Of course I think that's a crock of shit because I do believe the 'power exchange' was a one time deal, and being owned is permanent, and not based on whether or not He's scratching my itch on any given day.

    Though I won't even pretend that I would do those things with any amount of enthusiasm, nor would I pretend that my very soul wasn't dying in the process of following those instruction, follow them I would. That is what I agreed to in the very beginning of "this" and it wasn't with conditions. It wasn't "only if I like it" and it wasn't "don't you dare ask me to do something I don't want to do".

    Trust is the key. I trust that what Master wants is a whole and complete slave. Following any of those ghastly scenarios presented would not leave me whole or complete, or, in His opinion, worth 'finishing'. So I am very secure in knowing what will be expected of me or what I will be required to do.

    I think it's just easier for people to equate the two. Some people have deal-breakers and I'm confident that the deal-breakers will never happen. Maybe it's one and the same, maybe it isn't.

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:33 PM

    Yes. Yes. yes. To both the post and the comment. That's all, just yes.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knows what the future can hold?

    When I tell people that I am a slave, and that I consider this to be lifetime commitment to a life of service, dedication and no limits, I often get these kinds of scenarios thrown at me.

    While they are at times useful food for thought, I think that they often ignore the core of slavery (at least my slavery). That I have committed to following Sir's path, to doing her bidding and obeying her whims is a big part of my every day and very often the reason I get up each morning. And keeping in mind that I have made this to be a lifetime committment helps me through the tough times, the times I am asked to stretch myself. If there is no way out, then I just have to cope with it, don't I? It is not that I don't have a way out, it is that I approach each day with the idea that I don't. This is a powerful tool and makes me stronger in my service to Sir.

    Is it possible that Sir could one day give all the S/M up? Sure. Is it possible that one day she will go crazy and make it so that obeying her would be a harm to myself or her? Anything is possible. But that I approach each day with the idea that there is no way out, no breaking the commitment we have together makes us strong, makes me strong, pushes me to deal with what she puts in front of me.

    That I feel that I must obey and that there is no other choice makes me a better servant. I will deal with the what-ifs when they come.

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking from the perspective of one who is not outright owned, I think kaya's got it right, in a lot of ways. It's that that deal-breakers don't exist. It's that there is a level of trust between Owner and owned that allows one to be confident that those true deal-breakers won't happen.

    The relationship will definitely evolve, but I would posit that there couldn't be a relationship at all if there weren't the assumption that it will not change drastically and suddenly at the will of one of the people in it.

    Also, I can't get your captcha to work in Firefox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:09 PM

    Hi swan,

    like everyone else, i read kaya and have been following this same discussion on various blogs too and doing a lot of thinking about it.

    i couldn't help but chuckle at your example of what you thought a slave might consider a deal breaker though. My Master has never bound me with anything other than His will and never used anything but His hands to hurt me for his pleasure or my punishment when we are together in person. (At least not yet, that is.)

    My in person time with my Master is very limited (i usually get somewhere between 5 - 12 hours with Him once every couple of months) so the way i serve my Master at least 98% of the time is to take care of His property (myself) for Him and that includes things such as volunteering in the local community and helping others in other venues such as online. i.e., by living a life that makes Him proud to own me.

    i am not trying to say that being my Master's slave is the easiest thing i have ever done by any means though. For example, among the many lessons that i am being taught are that a slave must not have expectations and she must be patient. Thus, for example, i have been allowed no contact with my Master since a brief (10 minutes) online training session He did with me Thursday night (today is Sunday) in which He gave me a number of things to think about/learn more about. i have no idea when i will be allowed contact with Him again nor in what format it will be or how long it will be for. i know only that (1) i must not in any way push for contact, (2) when i am again allowed contact with Him, i must thank Him for the contact so that He knows i know it is a privilege He allows me, not a right that i am entitled to and (3) i must not do or say anything to make Him feel that it was wrong of Him to have been out of contact with me.

    That is not easy for me just as many other things that my Master requires of me are not easy for me. My Master never promised me a fun, exciting relationship. He promised to train me to be the slave that He wants to own and that is what He is doing in His own way.

    So no whips and chains or many of the other outward trappings that one often thinks of as a Master/slave relationship for us, just a simple power exchange ... He makes the decisions, and i obey them.

    As to deal breakers, yes, just one ... if my Master ever gave me reason to seriously question His judgement such as ordering me to go shoot someone, have sex with a child, etc. i.e., things that my Master (whose spiritual beliefs i know well) would never order me to do if in His right mind, that would be a deal breaker.

    angel

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.