Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/12/2007

Not Going "Public"

I am torn.

This afternoon, we will pack up the car with some snacks and the toy bag and whatever luggage we need to make it through a couple of days and head off to the Central Ohio Perversion Excursion for a couple of days of kinky workshops, vendor shopping, and play parties. It will be for us and opportunity to socialize and play with other people who are "like us" for a couple of days -- to drop the facade we maintain and relax into being among like-minded folks.

It will most likely for me, be a trip that is both pleasure and challenge. I have, as long as I've followed this path, felt affirmed and supported in the public scene. I have also struggled with my ability to "perform" well within that environment. It is always a concern in my mind that my actions in public bring honor to Master, and that I not act or react in ways that create disappointment or embarrasment. I worry. Still, we will go and interact and play and learn and socialize. For a few days, we will behave as if "OUR" way is "THE" way -- as if our lifestyle were perfectly normal and entirely within the realm of the everyday and the ordinary. We'll pretend that we are the "norm."


When it is all over with, we will pack it all up, get back into our "civilian" costumes, and head back into the life we live during all the rest of the year. We'll go back to hiding in plain sight.

And all of that will occur against the backdrop of the current buzz about Idaho Senator Larry Craig's escapade in the airport bathroom...

To be honest, I've taken my share of gleeful pleasure in the oh-so-public fall from grace of one of the self-righteous "family values" crowd, but there is that niggling sense of uneasiness about it all in the back of my mind. Whatever the truth of Senator Craig's conduct, the reality is that it is the perceived need for the "hiddeness" of his behavior that created the issue in the first place. And on that level, he and I are kindred somehow. That bothers me. Because, I too, hide my truth. I too, "sneak" off to second rate hotels to have stolen weekends away so that I can be (for just a little while) my true self. Part of me justifies that as the necessity forced by a judgemental and unfair society, and part of me cringes at the fact that I don't act to change the injustice. It is true that there is unfairness here. It is also true that I am too afraid, too attached to my comforts to act affirmatively to change it.

Perhaps I shouldn't be quite so quick to laugh at the Senator.

swan

8 comments:

  1. RE: Sen. Craig...Have you tried to pass laws banning D/s? Have you publicly spoken out denouncing those those who deviate from the monogamous norm? Have you called others "naughty boys" who have been caught in a public scandal while holding yourself up as a moral arbitrator?

    I really don't think many people care at this point is someone is gay or not. It's the hypocrisy of putting down others who are, or who follow a different sexual drummer, in this case.

    You are supportive of your community. Yes, society hasn't caught up with you yet, but I think one day they will.

    "I know Senator Craig. You are no Senator Craig."

    Have a great weekend, all. I'll look for your account when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:55 AM

    does T go as well to these things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... of course T goes! We go. Together. T does not get "beaten" in public. She does act as our "guardian of the space" and fierce protector in the dungeon. We are a family at "these things."
    swan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I have to say that I am envious of your ability to 'go public.' For years, I have not been able to allow myself to enjoy that part of this life, and for the most part the community here is not the most upstanding in the world, so therefore making it even more difficult to feel 'comfortable' with 'being myself.'

    I will live vicariously through you Swan, as again, I have grown to admire you and your situation even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. swan ..

    safe trip... do have a glorious time.. i am a wee bit jealous (considering my flu bug that stopped us going to "our"event in August)

    fill us in when you get home....

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:14 PM

    I tend to wonder if life would be all that better for you if Polygamy was the norm in society and you had a myriad of close friends that believed in, and practised, sexual slavery.

    No doubt you would shock these friends if you expressed any doubts about your master’s desire to exercise his God given right to expand his harem whenever he felt like it. I imagine you would set tongues wagging if you wondered out loud if he was being fair to you and T.

    You folks are trying to build a life for yourself. It ain’t easy but it is what you choose to do. You don’t need the approval of others – Not even me!

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swan,
    I agree totally with Tangerine. What sets you apart from him is not that you are not willing to go public, but that you are not hypocritically telling others that they must be monogamous, that they must not participate in D/s, and m/s play. Where he was wrong, was in setting himself up as judge over those whose behaviour was identical to his own...
    I can't every imagine you doing that.

    I hope you all had a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:32 AM

    dear swan & family,
    i hope you all had a fabulous time this weekend & i look forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.