Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

9/09/2007

We're Not in Kansas Anymore

We've been navigating a whole series of difficult, or at least challenging, passages lately. This business of making the transition to "later life" relatedness in a polyamorous/BDSM relational dynamic is feeling as complex as just about anything I've ever tried to learn how to do. That could be (probably is) just because I tend to overthink absolutely everything, but I really do think that between the physical parts and the emotional parts and the financial parts, there is way more to balance here than there was just a few years ago. I believe that I am up to it when I'm "at my best" -- when my mind is functioning clearly, and I'm not in the grip of some hormonal lunacy, and I am not physically half dead, and I'm not making myself nuts about just paying this month's bills -- so how the hell are we ever going to retire and how are we ever going to keep on doing this until we are all in our nineties...


I am appreciative of the time and sincere concern and caring that people invested in responses to my last "identity crisis" post. I probably really do need to "embrace" the new realities of the shifted and diminished responsiveness that is a fact and result of the hysterectomy, and I need to stop or finish or complete the mourning for what has been lost and get over the last bits of my anger at that whole passage. I think I've made progress on that front. I am not nearly as desperate or as angry as I was. Not nearly as obsessively wrapped up in it all as I was a year ago. But I haven't completely forgotten that there has been a loss either, and I haven't gotten to a place of being "happy" with the change. As for the "depression" issue, I will "give" you all the acknowlegement that I tend toward the depressive side. I did a couple of different anti-depressant medications last winter/spring. There was some improvement in mood -- I was less emotionally "volatile" I think. I also felt generally crappy, and (with medical guidance) I ended that medical intervention. I did a course of "therapy" with a therapist (the whole "talk therapy" thing). He was kink friendly (Master found him), and I'm sure he was good and competent. The reality was simply that the things he was poking at were things that are simply not changeable/negotiable in my life. I am not willing or able to be more open about my lifestyle, and hence the likelihood of creating a wider "friendship" circle is nil. I am unable/unwilling to make any real changes in the power structure of my life, and so the things that cause me to be incredibly anxious are not going to go away. Continuing to make regular trips to the therapist to chat about all of that seemed like a waste of time, energy, and money. It still does. I know the limits of what I can/will change to reduce my discomfort. As for a low-GI diet, our diet is tailored to manage type II diabetes in both Master and T. We control very carefully for carbohydrates, fats, and sodium. In terms of diet, I am eating better -- with more care and awareness -- than probably 95% of the people I know. A more intensive exercise regimen is probably a good prescription. When I walked regularly, I was better. And -- I know the parameters of the childhood abuse. I know the who and the how and I know that there is no recovering the parents I wish I'd had. I have given myself permission to not deal with my mother who remains mean, nasty, hateful with me to this day. I have reconstructed the memories of the abuse. I have walked the path. I'm done.


I do continue to scrabble and claw my way into some kind of place of reasonable comfort with my SM orientation. The shift in my "capacity" from five years ago is apparent to me, continually in my awareness, a source of real anxiety for me, something that I worry about in terms of how I "measure up." I know that Roy recommends that we simply lay off the heavy stuff, and do "mental" dominantion, but it really isn't that simple. For one thing, it only takes a very few days before I'm climbing the walls, needing to be spanked. Pain is part of my sexual expression. So even as I struggle to cope with it, I still crave it physically and emotionally. Having lost the "other," I cannot fathom what losing that too would mean... As for "mental" dominantion, I know there are partners who play that way, but it really isn't a big part of our dynamic. He is a spanker, not a talker. We don't do rules and protocols and fancy games. I'm doing good to get "language" during a session, or verbal feedback afterwards (unless I ask for it, and even then it is likely to sound like, "you were fine."). This is not going to go "soft."

One of the tricky passages that we are navigating our way through is the NEED He has to spank other people. It is the way He is. The way He has always been. I knew that about Him in the very beginning. There were no secrets, and it isn't a surprise, although for awhile, it sort of stayed out of the picture because it just did. I don't know what the reasons for that were or are. It doesn't matter. It is probably too bad, as I look back at it, that things happened that way, because I came to feel secure in the absence of those "other people," and I forgot that they were really out there.

Now, we are "poly." I've written a lot about how our family works, about how we make things go, about our dynamics. Still, it is a "closed" kind of poly-ness that feels safe to me. I know who is here, and I know what to expect, and I know who will be around the dinner table and in the bedroom each night. I know, when I make a call, home who to expect to answer the phone. I know who handles which things. I like that. I'm shy. I don't like strangers, and I don't meet people easily, and mostly, I don't really trust people very easily. The "fact" of the matter is that HE is poly. I'm poly because I am here; because I fell into this relationship and poly made this work. Everything beyond the edge of that "little" comfortable (although alternative) world we've carved out scares the living crap out of me.

However, after five years, He is not willing to limit Himself to "just me" any longer. So there will be others. There is already one on the way. He's been careful to manage that in ways that He felt would not threaten me. Love for me has driven Him to constrain His drives in ways that He probably would not choose to otherwise. Intellectually, I understand His need and desire. Emotioanlly, I have a very difficult time not feeling as if I've been judged and found wanting. I find it very hard not to get into "if only" mode -- "if only I'd play harder, cry less, respond better, like it more..." He tells me that none of that is true, and I believe Him, but I FEEL the other response anyway.

So, I understand that I am afraid, and we are moving ahead anyway. He will spank other people. He will be happier, and I will become less afraid with time. We will put up metaphorical signs out in front of the place that direct the "BUTTS" to form one line, wait quietly, deposit their trash in the appropriate containers, and not park on the street (it's against the rules of the condo complex). I'll get over my squickiness about who's blood and whatever is on which toys. I'll stop wondering (I hope) about who is better at it than me. We'll get through this and I hope I'll grow some. That's the next part of the path.

Part of me (the little, whiny, coniving, passive-aggressive, bitchy part) wants to use all of that to negotiate. I find myself thinking, "Yeah, that's all great forYou, but what do I get out of it? You get to go out and sample the spanking wonders of the world, and I'm going to be right here 'owned' just like always, waiting patiently for You to be done with whoever. There won't be any need or drive for You to explore further with me, and even less chance that we will ever find the keys that set me free to 'enjoy' and fly again." Morningstar wrote this great piece recently in response to a question about what helps her to handle pain. She could have been in my head for a good part of what she wrote, but this section was like a recipe for a dream session:
Things that help me get past the BAD pain.. despite the time of day.. or my
mind set.. is when Sir spends a goodly amount of time connecting to my body with
touches.. it helps me relax and feel there is something out there more than just
a flogger or cane causing pain......... See when Sir touches me.. rubs against
me.. or caresses me.. i feel Him and know i am not alone.. that we are doing
this together.. for the pleasure of both..........Another thing that really
helps me get over the top .. and this is just me..... is if Sir pushes my legs
far apart and fucks me from behind.. giving me orgasms upon orgasms in between
the floggings....... my mind starts to associate the pain with sexual
pleasure... or the orgasms release the much needed endorphins to get me over the
top......
Sigh. I've watched people play like that -- Dominant alternating between giving pain and giving pleasure... until the submissive partner is literally panting, swaying, flying, floating -- until it is all a blend of sensation. It is like a marvelous dance or a dream. It takes time and focus and patience and I can't imagine anyone ever having that much time for me. Or that much patience. For me, and for us, there is that much faster, much more driving sort of session that rarely even acknowledges that I might have "sexual" parts. Afterwards, then, there is the call to fucking, but even then, I'm often playing catch up. I wish I was the sort of masochist that converted pain directly to erotic pleasure. That would make it all simpler. I very rarely achieve that level of "wonderfulness."

Anyway, we are onto a new phase. He told me last night that it was time to stop writing about poly and start really doing it. So. There will be new people in "our" life. They will bring Him great joy I hope. I'm going to focus on not being "crazy" or acting "crazy." Then, with practice, maybe this will all get easy. Easy would be an improvement. Dorothy, after the cyclone had deposited her in Oz, told her dog, Toto, that she was pretty sure that they weren't in Kansas anymore. I imagine I haven't been in "Kansas" for a very long time. I suppose it is time to pick up my stuff and wander off down the yellow brick road and see what is out there. There are people to meet and places to see. Wish me luck. I'll be watching out for the flying monkeys.

swan

8 comments:

  1. Hello Swan,
    I have never commented here before, but your blog has fascinated me for a long time.

    I understand your concern about T's need to spank other people and how it makes you feel judged. My boyfriend and I are not poly, but there are times when I think he would prefer another play partner, a partner who enjoyed taking more intense spankings than I like. It makes me sad sometimes because I know he would like to play more intensely, but I don't enjoy that kind of play, at least while we are both so busy and stressed. I think you are handling this situation better than I ever could and I hope it works out that you are all happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sparked many thoughts in me, but some of them I need to think about more, because my own stuff gets in the way, and then the lines blur between you and me.

    BUT, the one thing that really caught my attention was thought of Him using Your mutual toys on others...Is there not a way around this? Special things to you and Him remain between the two of you?

    Besides just the unwanted energy from another there are the actual blood and fluid issues sharing toys...Of course I realize that ultimately all this is up to Him...but this seems an unnecessary issue for (the two of) you to have to deal with.

    Poly is hard enough as it is, but to have things in the mix that are very likely to trigger problems in your primary relationship will just make the road more bumpy.

    Tt

    ReplyDelete
  3. swan.. i have so many thoughts swirling around in my head right now.... i thought i knew what to say.. till i read the quote from my blog...... it kinda set me back on my heels.......

    Sometimes when i write a blog entry i think to myself.. ohhhhh i hope this doesn't upset swan... (honest true!!) like my ability to take pain (not always but a lot of the time) and make that pain the best foreplay on earth..... BUT as you know from reading me .. it isn't always like that.... and i too struggle often about the levels of pain i used to take compared to what i take now........ i wonder from time to time why that is... but i do try and just accept the fact that some days i just plain wimp out.........

    as for the poly.... well you know it is something i struggle with immensely....... by nature i am a possessive jealous creature (something i am NOT proud of)

    i have in the past encouraged Sir to find others to play with.. especially for the bondage part.. seeing as i can no longer tolerate long periods bound .. nor can i ever be hog tied again... these are all things i know Sir misses.... Fortunately for me the opportunity has not presented itself for a few years........

    i do remember though a time when Sir did play with another submissive.. i remember (and am still embarrassed by my behaviour) the temper tantrum that erupted from a session He had with her......and the bloody ropes that were brought home to me to wash.

    Once and only once did i put my foot down...... no way no how were the ropes to be used on me again.. no way no how were the toys to be used on me again.....

    i was spoiled.. Sir began the process of replacing the ropes and the toys so that i had my own set. i couldn't have faced the fear of shared body fluids.. and Sir understood that....

    i hope that you and Raheretic will come to some understanding especially about the toys........ there is just something wrong about shared toys...... i can't help myself.... but there is an intimacy in the toys that i can't / won't share with anyone else........

    sending you BIG hugs to help you on this journey down the yellow brick road.......

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:26 PM

    always deeper, always more to the core of it ... bless you.

    shared toys, shared blood, shared lovers, shared love, shared beds, shared intimacies, shared attention, where is the line between expressing the truest self and reaching past real love? i sure as hell don't know the answers, but here in my little poly corner, i sure do ponder seriously.

    here you state the sum total poly quandary in a neat nutshell:
    "Intellectually, I understand His need and desire. Emotioanlly, I have a very difficult time not feeling as if I've been judged and found wanting. I find it very hard not to get into "if only" mode -- "if only I'd play harder, cry less, respond better, like it more..." He tells me that none of that is true, and I believe Him, but I FEEL the other response anyway."

    no matter the compelling arguments in my head, some days my tender heart fears love expressed in multiples amounts to love divided and weakened in every case. on good days, love is a never-ending fountain that enriches all it touches. when am i right? when am i wrong?

    morningstar's quote speaks eloquently, i think, to what we all want, regardless of the details: to be seen at our most vulnerable clearly, to be attended there with sensitivity and masterful mindfulness, to be taken into and through places we crave and fear with committed presence & love. tall freakin' order, but necessary to seek when we seek to be our truest selves.

    dear swan, i do want you to know that your challenges, while personally yours, echo the challenges of us all, poly or not, BDSM or not. and so, the value of your honesty touches many more than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:57 PM

    On the flip side, it is because of the fact that He loves you so much that He trusts you to be able to understand His needs. It is still you that He owns, still you in His bed each night regardless of His being there or not. It is still you that He considers before He spends time with another. He is that secure in your (and T's) love and service that He can be Himself.

    It is because of having you NOT in spite of having you that He can do this.

    As to the shared toys, I agree with the others, seperate toys. Been there, done that have the t-shirt and lost the rabbit in the process (and I LOVED the rabbit!)

    And you aren't that shy! I found you to be charming, gracious and a joy to meet :)

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been trying to figure out just what I wanted to tell you, but was having trouble getting it to make any sense. Magdala did it for me. She's a very wise woman; my personal suggestion is to listen to her. Since she has more experience in this area than I, what she has to say is much more important.

    Huggggs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. We are here. We are "fine." We are working our way through the emotions and feelings and uncertainties and shifts. If anyone ever said that power exchange or poly or aging were (any of them) easy or simple they were simply lying their butt off. This is all sometimes difficult, but worth the effort. We keep on keeping on.

    As for the business of using toys for "others," that is an issue that I have that He feels is largely "manipulative" on my part. I think He used many of those toys on others before me, and sees no reason to not go right on using them on others now. It isn't that He is not aware of the potential "risks." I believe He evaluates that risk as not particularly significant or relevant. So... I will try not to think too much about it, and we will go on...

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swan,

    Feel free to tell me to "Butt Out" (pun intended). I have let your comment sit for a couple of days, but there is something here that is still bothering me around the issue of "toys".

    I don't know you or the situation all that well, so take the comment for what it's worth. But it seems to me there are a few tenets of poly; certainly the open and honest part, and the multiple partner part are big. But another very important part of poly is the "boundaries and agreements" part which helps everybody feel okay, or at least better about what is going on outside the primary relationship.

    So this toy issues seems a small thing that could be easily addressed and make the process easier for you to bear.

    It bothers you. It just does. So why not have another set of toys for the SBs? The toys that were his before you were together can still be his to use with either you or others. The things that are special to you (two) should stay between you. Or whatever you guys work out.

    Are you being manipulative? Only you know in your heart what truth is here. But it seems to me, if reasonable people would be upset at the toy sharing thing, than it has some validity. Many who took time to respond agreed that this sharing issue would be a tough thing.

    Perhaps the most important part of poly for me is the way my partner and I work out agreements with one another. It certainly doesn't mean that I always get my way, or he always get his. Usually, there is a fair amount of compromise for both...but it's doing the things that make it easier for the other person, that make us feel cared about and help us through those times when the other is out with someone else.

    I know that in being a slave that you probably don't get to ask for things that would make it easier, with any hope of them happening. Or maybe psychological torture is a part your masochism collar. But if certain sessions are already quite difficult (and I would say they are), then you don't need to lose your focus by wondering who's energy is being pounded into your ass. Or what her butt looked like when it was hit with that paddle...or wherever you might go in your thoughts.

    That is all I will say on this, and I respect what you and Tom work out...but I totally support your feelings here as being reasonable, and not an underhanded way to take away some of his fun.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.