Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

2/01/2006

Correcting Assumptions

My inclination was to not address this comment from the previous post at all, because the tone was "ugly," but this section makes assumptions that, for me at least, are just inaccurate:

"It strikes me that one of the pluses of turning yourself over to the absolute authority of another is the shedding of responsibility for your own behaviour and activities. (A return to the innocence and the supposed joy of childhood.) I am convinced that my own desire to be under the control of a stern feminine authority figure is prompted, at least in part, by a desire to return to the security of a childlike state. (I must also admit to a fascination with the sexual implications of being "spanked".)I see nothing wrong with wanting this state of affairs. Can you tell me Swan, if this is not an important part of what you term "Power exchange".

This commenter has followed me around cyberspace for years, dogging me to "repent" while simultaneously salaciously following my every "misadventure." I think that this comment represents a non participant's penchant to fall into the habit of projection. Projection is an interesting thing because it carries with it both positive and negative valance -- the onlooker's own sense of "good" and "evil."

BDSM is a very broad label for a wide set of practices. Knowing that someone engages in BDSM is like knowing that they eat. It doesn't tell you very much about their particular appetites. To assume that you know someone's particular drives or passions or motivations simply because they tell you that they are "into" BDSM; or to assume that their own proclivities might match yours is a very great leap, but again, projection is a funny thing.

I do not slave because it gives me a route to "childlike" innocence, or ability to abandon the responsibility for my behavior or actions. I slave because it is who I am. In submitting my own will to that of another, I answer a need that is an essential part of who I am. In assuming that relationship, I take on a great many responsibilities. My obligations are to make His world run as smoothly as I possibly can. His needs and desires and wishes become my focus. Even when it might appear that I am doing "my" job, paying "my" bills, planning "my" day, I am doing those things with an eye to what is pleasing and important to Him. I serve His well being and His vision. All else is secondary. My work has become to make His work and His life proceed well and smoothly.

As for the "sexual implications of being spanked." That is the talk of one who mostly understands this from a fantasy point of view. I entertained such fantasies for years before I was able to bring the reality to fruition in my life. In fantasy, spanking is sexy as hell. In real life, spanking hurts like hell. I am a masochist. Unfortunately, I am not the sort of masochist who transposes painful stimuli to erotic pleasure. It is very rare that I manage to grab the wave that takes me to a place of transcending the suffering of SM play. My masochism is of the sort that derives from the loss of control, from the knowledge that I am pleasing the One who is my Master, from His pleasure in my suffering.

Power exchange is just that. I am not powerless. I have great power. I take it in my hands and give it to Him to use for our mutual pleasure and benefit. It is a balance that we maintain between us. If I had no power, we'd have nothing to exchange and no reason to interact. The corollary is that He must use His power to hold me and Him and "us" in place. He must find the direction and maintain the momentum and guard our boundaries. I am, in His care as long as He holds the power between us. His is the trust. That is the "exchange."

swan

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Very lucid swan, I wondered how long it would be before you addressed this.
    The question of responsibility can be complex, I was H o H for many years, to suggest that I had all the responsibility would have been very insulting to my beloved Mel and to me.
    Yes looking in from the outside, with no sensitivity at all.
    All your readers are, to a degree, outsiders, most of us are seeking to learn and understand, reading with interest and hopefully some compassion.
    I hope that you continue to improve dear girl.
    Hugs.
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:50 PM

    Sorry about the “dogging” Sue. I just didn’t understand that you found me ugly and a fraud.

    All I can say in my own defence is that I grow restless in the presence of the grand dame, surrounded by fawning sycophants. I find myself overwhelmed by the desire to “stick a pin” in someone. Doing so, in the end, tends to get to the root of a matter and prompts an honest and open response from the “pinee”.

    It amazes me how hurt I am when the pinee fetched me with a cuff across the side of the head.

    I assure you that I have never had any salacious interest in you or in your chosen “kink”. I have, I will admit, always been attracted to your wit and eloquence. I have an overwhelming incest taboo and, since you are exactly my daughter’s age, my regard for you has always been platonic. That does not deny me the right to worry about you.

    I have the feeling that, to you, your most damming condemnation was when you “outed” me as a NON PARTICIPENT. There is nothing one can say to divert this kind of censure

    I will try to resist “dogging” you in the future but, with your permission, I will continue to follow you with interest and with affection.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swan,

    Perfect. I can say nothing else. Simply, perfect. Your comments and explinations were perfect.

    We'll just hold off on saying anything about Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack, dear man, you are neither ugly nor a fraud. However you fell into a simple error that some folks make when dealing with those of us who declare ourselves "submissive." It shows up in your response here-- "since you are exactly my daughter’s age, my regard for you has always been platonic. That does not deny me the right to worry about you." While I understand the tendency to equate me with your daughter because of the similarity of our ages, I am NOT your child, and I in no way belong to you, hence you have no inherent "right" to worry about me. That right belongs to Master. Like those you label "fawning sycophants," I consider you a friend. You are welcome to follow along and read here, and offer whatever opinions you may have. Worry if you must. Celebrate when you can. Be assured however, that when you come off sounding curmudgeonly and nasty, I WILL notice and respond accordingly.

    In the meantime, I hope that your public "spanking" at my hand was not too dreadful.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:58 PM

    Dear angry Swan,

    I honestly don’t feel like I have been “spanked” in public. However much this may appeal to the impotent fantasy life you chose to accuse me of. I would rather think of it as a consensual agreement to express very strong differences of opinion. (I know I whined to Searabbit about having salt rubbed up my ass but I don’t, in any way, equate the two experiences.)

    I think what troubles me most, Sue, is your describing me as someone who “has followed me around cyberspace for years, dogging me to "repent" while simultaneously salaciously following my every "misadventure."”

    What do you mean by this, Sue? Am I some kind of puppy dog? (A canine sycophant?) Or am I some kind of sick stalker? I can assure you, I am neither.

    The accusation that I want you to “repent” is purely a figment of the sick Christianity you were raised in and have always accused me of embracing.

    I care about you and that, dam it, gives me the right to worry about you.

    Why do I want to end this missive with a resounding – Nya Nya Nan Nan Yya? - I guess there is a little bit of the child in all of us.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  6. jack wrote: "I find myself overwhelmed by the desire to “stick a pin” in someone. Doing so, in the end, tends to get to the root of a matter and prompts an honest and open response from the “pinee”."

    Yet you hem and haw, turn condescending to the point of tantrum, and give a new twist to the meaning of "patronising" if you don't like the reaction of the "pinee", and you get [rimshot]...needled...

    Although I like the analogy, really, given that in the BDSM scene sticking pins into someone without their consent, submissive or not, will tend to end with the pinner leaving the premise in a flat trajectory.

    As for speaking of "rights" while standing in a ladies' boudoir....
    Tsk. tsk.
    What happened to the oldfashioned "Your rights end in my backyard?" A rather universal rule of polite conduct someone of your claimed age should certainly have been able to learn by now?

    Ooops... Sycophants aren't supposed to bite , aren't they?
    My bad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:32 AM

    Dear Grumblin,

    Loved your post. It’s exactly the kind of thing one hopes for when they choose to state an opinion or a feeling that isn’t universally subscribed to by the group. A little bit of controversy adds life to a Blog but the trick is to get a lively discussion going without having it deteriorate into the kind of flaming that causes so much grief in some of the discussion groups.

    Not to sure I “got” everything you were trying to say or understand exactly what you were referring to but that is beside the point. As for my tendency to “hem and haw, turn condescending to the point of tantrum, and give a new twist to the meaning of "patronizing" if you don't like the reaction of the "pinee", and you get [rimshot]...needled.” – I can only assume that either I expressed myself very poorly or my Sycophants
    barb struck a little too close to home.

    As for “your rights ending in my backyard” - I can hardly express the contempt such a concept deserves.
    I have a right to my opinion wherever I am and the right to care about whomever I please. I may not get invited back but you would be surprised how many backyards welcome and value me.

    Jack

    PS. I think I have let my “opinions” get out of hand. I will not take up any more space on Swans’ blog spouting out my week attempts to defend myself. I look forward, however, to reading anything you “Sycophants” want to through at me..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Throw. I meant throw. - No spears or javelins please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe, I just have to thank you all for this controversy! It's very fascinating for the voyeur.

    I intended to post about a similarity I observed in the original post: Both Jack and Swan ascribed to a psychodynamic interpretation of each other's comments. Jack suggested Swan's submissive desires are attributed to a longing for the "security of a childlike state" (as if childhood is anything but insecure and unpredictable). Swan's reply is to claim Jack in experiencing "projection"- both very Freudian ideas. There are other ways to view these comments. I see them more as constructions or narratives of each person's worldview. Clearly, Jack finds submissiveness a copout and Swan sees it as inseperable from her identity. To each her own.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.