Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

2/14/2008

Control and Submission


In 1996, John Travolta starred in a light-hearted, funny little film called "Michael." He played a cigarette smoking, cookie-sniffing, sugar-eating, bull-charging, womanizing, slob of an angel with an awfully big heart. The film irritated the heck out of some folks. Others called it "Capra-esque." There was a tag-line of sorts that proclaimed that "He's an angel; not a saint." I remember there was one point in the movie where Michael was engaged in some remarkably un-angel-like behavior. When this was pointed out to him, he simply declared that he wasn't THAT kind of angel.

So, what's the point? Well, like Michael, I embody a "type" that people believe they recognize. I self-identify as submissive and slave within the BDSM lifestyle community, and most people who are reasonably conversant with the "in" vocabulary understand what that language implies. I've been at this long enough to have read probably millions upon millions of words about "true" submission, the submissive personality, submissive nature, and all the rest. I've known (on-line and in person) a fair number of people who lay claim to the submissive label, some of whom have lots more "experience" in the lifestyle than I do. There are plenty of people who are way more accomplished and graceful at this "submission" business than I am -- or likely ever will be. When it comes right down to it, I am sorely tempted to go right to a variation of that movie line: "I'm not THAT kind of submissive."
Because. I'm a controller. By my nature, and by lifelong habit. It is my inclination and instinctive response to move to assume control in any situation where it is possible for me to do that. If control is within my grasp, or if it is placed within my grasp, I will take it. It isn't always good for me to do that, but if no one else has hold of the reins, I will pick them up and hold onto them for all I'm worth. And not just hold on, but actively drive the whole contraption.
I'm better off, emotionally, physically, sexually, spiritually when I can submit to someone that I can trust to take the control and allow me to let it go. It isn't good for me to orchestrate absolutely everything in the world around me. I've done it and I know what it costs me. That doesn't change the nature that lives inside my psyche.

Submission is something that I do. It is a practice that I undertake; a personal discipline that leads me into a condition of internal peacefulness, calmness, and emotional wellness. It brings me to my center, and, when I manage to find my way into some kind of balance point with it, it fulfills me as a sexually vibrant, healthy, free and happy woman.

It is finding that balance point that is the trick for me -- because I tend to analyze, and mutter away inside my head, and ascribe motivations where none exist. I watch every move and every facial expression and every gesture, and I "read" great meanings into it all. I hear every nuance of voice and expression, and believe I perceive entire unspoken (mental or subvocalized) conversations that really never happened. Simultaneously, I miss things that get said "in passing, " or perhaps even directly, because I'm caught up in my own internal script. I wonder about what I do not know or understand -- actually, I may even verge on the obssessive edge of that by times.
I want to be all the things that I know, logically and intellectually, I SHOULD be as a submissive and a slave. I really do strive for perfect obedience, and perfect calm, and perfect patience, and perfect trust, and all the rest. I understand that He owns me, and that I DO NOT own Him -- so I "get" that I am without anyplace to stand when the voices begin to push me to the place where I plot and plan to get what I sometimes believe I want from Him, or even (more insidious in some ways) just unconsciously behave in ways that passively move the dynamic in directions that I define. I am a "piece of work." Still. Even after all this time. It makes me wonder about people who lay claim to years of lifestyle experience (and therefore expertise), because I've got years, and I continue to fall far short of any sort of reasonable mark or level of achievement or expertise...

I am lucky. I belong to One who is completely comfortable in His own skin, and utterly sure of who He is. For Him, the question of who is in control within our dynamic doesn't come up at all. He knows the answer. He doesn't invest a lot of effort or energy into "controlling" me. I think, by now, that He understands that I do this wild gyrating spin every now and then. When I get too far out of bounds for His taste, He tightens things back up and puts me back where He thinks I belong. It isn't something that makes Him particularly "happy," but it also doesn't present Him with huge angst or emotional issues either. He seems to tackle it as some sort of needed, routine maintanance; like changing the oil in the car...

He's begun to talk in ways that indicate that we are probably coming into that kind of cycle here. I know enough to know what that will mean (in general terms). Almost certainly (as life settles a bit), there will be more intense, higher end SM play -- and most certainly that will be styled in ways that He enjoys. Other subtle and perhaps not so subtle shifts in our daily lives may show up as well. I expect there will be far less effort or attention invested in doing things that are aimed at "making me happy," because, as He has noted, "That doesn't really seem to work for us anyway." There's just a hint of exasperation and accusation in that comment. Really, though, I think it is mostly Him talking to Himself about what He sees and what He will be doing about it all.

I feel open and fearful and eager and quiet and focused and somehow calmer than I've been for a very long time. I am aware of the heaviness that I've been carrying around with me, and of the promise of being able to lay it down soon.
It isn't time yet. We are still working on recovering and grieving. The pace of our lives has dropped into an odd timeless place where everything is driven by the subtle and not so subtle ebbing and flowing of grief. That has its own schedule. There is really no way to predict what it will be from day to day. No way for any of us to control that.
Waiting. Breathing. Being in place to serve as needed for now.
swan

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Excellent post, swan. Simply excellent. I nodded my head thru all of it!

    Carrie
    A View from the Floor

    ReplyDelete
  2. i get my version of what you mean about control & submission. for me, the desire to submit is a part of my craving to let go of all the control the rest of me seems to think it needs to feel safe in the world. for me, the impulse to submit is part of me seeking level and healing balance with the overachieving impulse to take control.

    i understand the profound reluctance and hope for relief that comes from anticipating that loss of control. the line is mighty thin sometimes, the paradox mighty heavy.

    also, please accept my condolences to the whole Heron Clan for the loss of His mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. swan...... i needed to read this today.. more than any other day ....

    thank you for your words.. they have touched me in a way no one can understand..

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:00 AM

    Good heavens dear swan.... were you inside my (and probably others) heads when you wrote this!!

    Like Carrie Ann, I found myself nodding all the way through it...and wanting to show it to M so that he knows he isn't the only one with a slave like this.

    Like Raheretic, M doesn't invest huge amounts of time and energy into controlling me... and most of the time that works fine for us. We're both learning that its mostly when things are wrong in the rest of my world, in the things which maybe are outside both of our control, when I need the control from him to be a little tighter, because it gives me the strength to cope with the rest. As you said, it becomes the one area where we can truly 'let go and be safe'.

    Thank you dear friend for this post... it is, as always, beautifully and powerfully written, and has come at a very opportune moment.

    my love and hugs to all of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:57 PM

    Kudo's, kudo's! Could not have been better expressed...everyone always feels better when someone decides to lead. Why is it that us control types seem to land in so many of those situations? I have learned there is a natural place for that control freak, and am desperately seeking a partner that is willing to take the rest! You are very blessed, and I'm glad you have peace in that right now.

    Be good to each other. Grief is an animal all of it's own. Everyone grieves differently, in different stages, in different ways. The challenges is to respect those differences for the other while acknowledging your right to hold yours as well. Grief doesn't end, it's like a leaky faucet. It can go weeks on end and be fine, and all of a sudden, here it comes, drip - drip - drip, and you have no say in the matter whatsoever. Yes, my friend, I'd say "control" will be your life lesson through this part of the journey.

    Blessings to each of you, and again, thank you for your posts. Refreshingly honest. I just found your blog, and am enjoying it tremendously.

    Hugs from GA,
    ~T

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.