Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/07/2006

Vanilla Immersion


We have periods of time when the "unique" nature of our relationship creates some interesting opportunities and dilemmas for us.

I am "not wife" in the eyes of the world. Therefore, there are capacities related to Master's work where T is prohibited from serving precisely because she is "wife" but I am not. We take advantage of that technicality to a degree, and I serve as a volunteer with His agency in a role where it would be viewed as "inappropriate" for His wife to do so. Conversely, there are some public events where the attendance of "wife" is expected, and where I am "extra" and therefore my attendance needs to be (at a minimum) explained.

It is "banquet" season in the public policy/advocacy arena. T and I sometimes bemoan this as "girlie clothes" season -- also sometimes referred to as "foundation garment torture." There is a seemingly unending series of dinners and awards banquets to attend at this time of the year, all of them requiring fancy dress, and smiling faced "wifeliness."

As might be imagined, this sort of thing presents some challenges for our family. T attends many of these as her work schedule allows, in the role of "wife." I attend just as many in the role of "agency volunteer" -- an interesting balancing act, given that there are many in the circle of political folks around us who wonder at our connection but cannot possibly conceive of the reality. We go blithely on, letting the gossips wag their tongues -- hiding in plain sight.

Still it can be wearing when done in heavy doses. It requires us to behave as "neighbors," "colleagues," "friends," "professional associates," with no personal or intimate connection or relatedness beyond our technical/formal association of the moment. We have to watch our actions, conversations, and responses to one another with extreme care in these settings. We walk a tight rope out in public so that our secret remains a secret...

To be honest, after awhile, when I've had a bit of the masquerading, I start to get annoyed. The fact is that the rules that make all the secrecy and hiding and denial of our reality necessary are grounded on a societal bias that is so deeply ingrained and so unshakeable that it is an assumed "right" that becomes a threat to all who would question or challenge it. That's us. Even those who would argue for same gender marriage or civil unions or domestic partner laws, most often will react negatively when the subject of multiple partners comes up. Our sort of lifestyle choice scares the willies out of everybody. And that's before you add the BDSM dynamic to the mix...

Makes a person downright grumpy. We are living in a culture that is awash in vanilla monogamous righteous self-delusion, and the pervasiveness of that social dishonesty forms the foundation of a tacit agreement that it is OK to leave a segment of the society out of the game: to declare open season on our families, our right to work, our choices about where we live, our very lives.

I spend a lot of my days immersed in a vanilla culture -- pretending to be "just like everybody else," keeping the secrets about who I am and how I live. I know the reasons for doing it. I admire and envy those who choose not to do that, or who do not have to do that. And sometimes, like now, when I'm dressing up and smiling sweetly at vanilla folks who just think they have it "right" somehow, I find that the whole vanilla world annoys the crap out of me for their smugness...

swan

5 comments:

  1. Me too swan, me too. *hugs*

    I get tired of having to bite my tongue when I'm talking about my Master in vanilla public. I have to be careful how I word things to the point that most often I just don't say anything.

    There are days that I'd love to buy my own island where close-minded people aren't allowed. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I hit send before I was ready! I wanted to add that I rarely, if ever, talk to others about my lover. I think my loved ones would accept the BDSM before they'd accept that I have a lover with my Master's blessing.

    It's really a shame because we are very blessed in having so much love in our lives and no one can see that. Instead they focus on how "abnormal" it all is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. swan...... all i can add to your post is a heartfelt HERE HERE!!!

    morningstar (owned by Warren)
    http://wtsubbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:52 PM

    Dear swan, such is the fate of those who dare.
    Yes it's very frustrating not to be able to tell it as it is.
    But some of us appreciate and admire you.
    Hugs.
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the "rant" here may be off target, as kaylem points out. I very well may not be able to see others who are just as "undercover" as we are. Some of the frustration is a reaction to the sort of public smack down that is being handed out as the political scene heats up and candidates test the waters with promises to push forward with "marriage" amendments and laws to make homosexuality punishable by death and... The continued attacks on all things alternative and different, the continued efforts to censor consensual adult speech and discourse, the continued assumption (completely unfounded) that this is a "Christian" nation and therefore rightly must be pushed to adhere to some fundamentalist view of "morality" is making me ever more angry at those who just assume that their way is the ONLY way.

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.