Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/11/2006

Who Cares?

Someone named john made this comment to Master's post (Recent Troubling Issues) about the disclosures of dishonesty on another Blog : "Isn't it the great work that only counts. And not a couple of stupid people giving money she didn't even wanted ?Who cares ?"

I guess the point of that comment is that there really isn't any reason to hold someone accountable for behavior online; no grounds for expecting people who write in this vein to hold themselves to any standards, and really no basis for us as a "community" to have any kind of ethical code by which we measure ourselves or each other.

I find that sort of thinking to be sad at the very least and dangerous for our "corporate" well-being in general.

My thinking about this falls into a number of different categories. Let me see if I can break it down...

As a first principle, it is my belief that what we put forward publicly here has impact beyond our own lives. This medium takes our words beyond what mere private journaling might do, and sends them out into the public realm. Whatever disclaimers we might make, we all write, at some level, for a public audience. I don't believe public speech ought to be censored by outside entities. I do think that it ought to be understood that it carries with it certain responsibilities. When we speak in public, we are responsible for what it is we say, and we ought to consider the ramifications of that on those who will "hear" what it is that we communicate.

I remember very vividly my own first tentative steps into the arena of BDSM. When I began tryng to find the answers to the basic questions about what this was and who I was in relationship to it, I had no models and no measures by which to gague any of the information I was able to gather. I found some good advisors and informants, and I found a few terrible crackpots. Often they looked a lot alike. The latter crowd, with their foolishness and fantasy, made my journey toward self-discovery very much more difficult than it needed to be as they diverted me into side streets and byways that I need not have traveled.

Always, when I sit down to write of my own experiences, I try to remember that at any given moment, there may be someone who is reading my words and trying to use what I have written to construct a map of their own for their own first journey into unknown territory. That is an awesome responsibility. I can't imagine that what I have to offer is of any use to anyone, but at least I believe that what I put out is as truthful as I can make it. Pick it up and carry it off at your peril, but know that it is the real thing.

Too, I am convinced that each of us, in our personal conduct, reflects on our relationships. How we comport ourselves shows who we are and how we are. My conduct in this part of my life, as in all my other interactions, reflects not only on me, but on the One who owns me. For me to put less than my very best out here dishonors us both. What I write here is at His command. It is my own truth. If there are to be stories of any sort here, then they will be clearly labeled as such, and I'd hope I'd do that well enough to entertain you and honor Him in the doing.

Then there is the business of how we are perceived in the wider community, and how we view ourselves. Are we people of honor? Integrity? Honesty? Can we be trusted? Do we keep our word? Are we good, open, straightforward folks that can be relied upon? There are enough biases about kinky people already. I don't think we need to lay on a patina of dishonesty and subterfuge over the top of that already skewed view. If we are, as a group of people with alternative lifestyle orientations, ever to gain places of acceptance and tolerance in the wider society, we need to understand that we have some responsibility for identifying and correcting errors in our own ranks. To mislead and defraud others for whatever personal motivations is simply wrong, and we ought to have the guts to say so. Likewise, we ought to have the grace to then back off and allow for whatever "rehabilitation" there might be for the culprit.

Finally, part of the reason for doing this, at least for some of us -- at least for me, is the need to create connection with other like minded people. This is a vehicle for making social network. I come to rely on some of the people that I encounter in this exercise to be "friends." Perhaps I will never meet any of my readers and correspondents in real life, but I value the linkages just the same. I don't maintain a vast list of contacts, but the ones I do keep in touch with are important to me. I want to believe that those that have presented themselves in this way are at least to some degree what they say they are. If we cannot believe in and trust one another at some intrinsic level, then the fabric of our relatedness is fundamentally jeopardized, and the whole basis for this sort of interaction begins to fray. For those of us who must, necessarily, live rather hidden lives, that is a great loss. To say that deliberate dishonesty on the part of some does no harm, is simply not true.

So... I will not pile on. I made my judgement about the Blog in question long ago, and elected not to join in the throng that worshipped at that altar. I'll not deny the great talent in the writing and the art that pours forth there. I'll simply deny that the inherent dishonesty is a thing that has effected no harm. That is not reality. We will never be able to measure the extent to which the lies and subterfuge have damaged the net that links us all... I care about that. I care a very great deal.

swan

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:12 PM

    I entered the online community of people via IRC. On IRC everyone and everything was perfect. So you knew that everyone was. well, less than honest shall we say. That and the whole 'I never trust people till they prove themselves worthy of it' thing I have going on...

    I accept things at face value, but rarely put a great deal of stock in it till proved otherwise. It has served me well. The Blog in question is not one I read. I read a post or two, but did not care for the writers style and the air of perfection about it so I didn't read it regularly. I can make no informed comment upon the recent posts of the author because of that.

    Isn't it like buyer beware all over again though? Without knowing, I mean really knowing, then shouldn't one be wary to some extent of accepting everything as truth?

    When I went through a bout of frustration over every other slave blog being wine and roses all the time I reminded myself (and was reminded by many others) that people want others to think well of them and so portray themselves in a good light. I don't usually care what others think about me and so I don't display constant perfection. *shrugs* It's the ones that seem real who are real usually.

    Of course it is entirely possible that I am a 50 year old man who lives in his mother's basement too. But that possibility is highly unlikely. I never forget that any given blog I read on any given day could actually be that man though...


    Just a few rambling thoughts from the resident cynic :)

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:30 PM

    I've read both your and the blog in question for the better part of a year, having stumbled upon both at about the same time.

    I have no problem with someone writing fiction. I have no problem with someone editing a life or lifestyle. I believe that anyone can say just about anything on the Internet and in print, and there is very little that can be done about it, hence tabloid journalism and websites that propagate hate. And yes, this hurts the community, but the community isn't exactly an open-minded group of people. I've often found that the community can be harder on one of its own than those on the outside.

    I often felt that there was something idealized about her depictions, and as we know now, most was invented, and the idealization is what I find problematic. Another problem is the idea that based on some of the more encouraging comments, she is to continue to post fictional accounts of a life that doesn't exist; there are people out there that believe the life to be real.

    So, if she chooses to lie, so be it. I wish she wouldn't because the unrealistic image presented is unhealthy, but that is not what truly irks me.

    What gets on my nerves is the fact that with all that has been revealed, there are so many people saying that they have been helped and guided through a difficult process from her words. She has then used these comments to justify the continuation of a completely fabricated life. There is nothing inspirational about living life vicariously through imaginary characters and it is an act of utter stupidity for these people to encourage such behavior to continue.

    If her claims of alcohol and Internet dependencies are accurate, anyone encouraging this woman to continue this charade is essentially encouraging a heroine addict to shoot up again. The last thing she needs for a full recovery is to be posting anything, true or otherwise, on the Internet.

    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:49 AM

    swan,

    What an excellent post! I am soooo going to share this with a couple people who I was just ruminating this over with just today. You've directly and gracefully hit it right on the head.

    Actually, I had come over late last night to comment to the prior post "Making Peace with Reality."

    Seeing the comment by John made me abruptly leave and go offline as I try hard to ascribe to the idea that "if I don't have anything nice to say, best shut the hell up." I left because it irked me, that line of thinking, justifying what is not defensible.

    My reply to Tom on my blog today reflects that.

    Thank you for digging past the surface to voice the more important issues that remain after the 'shock' of all this is done: as one other sentient blogger phrased, there is a social covenant that exists amongst all of us. We need to honor that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:21 AM

    Thanks for your reply. Didn't mean to offend but I have a "no nonsence" feeling about this.Something was wrong,you said yourself. Much demanding glamerous job, so much time for all this,the reaction on the blog to (nasty comments). 4 feet of beautiful hair after cancer. Such a person doesn't need money,he or she IS wealthy. You're stupid if you give money to an unknown person. And the sexlife,on and on 4 hours,do you believe? Certainly,there is some basic true. You can see most of the stories were written years before. People are so angry because they believed they were REAL family. And because it's someone from the Community. That hurts and more if it's your "relative". Now those (Internet) relatives are picking the flesh like vultures on a carcass. Let me say it more friendly. Do you think that's wise? Certainly not acting as a Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. magdala -- I, like you, am slow to trust. I keep my radar moving, and when I detect "bullshit" I am not shy about calling it just that. That's precisely what has gotten me in trouble on more than one listserve along the way, and on the Blog that is now causing all the ruckus. Oh well... Too damn bad! I'll still maintain that for us as a "kinky community" to simply say something akin to "let the buyer beware" is hardly fair to those just dipping their newbie toes in the water. It's pretty tough to beware when you have no clue what it is you should beware of. I know I got caught up in the Vickie Blue, Polly Peachum, and "Fondly and Firmly" nets in my beginning forays into the life. It wasn't pretty. It is true the Internet is a big, unregulated place, and I think it ought to stay that way. We, however can and should regulate our own ranks. We can and should identify those who prey on the unsuspecting. We ought to be on the lookout for the creeps and crackpots and post warning signs as we can for the unwary and uninitiated. To do less is to abrogate our responsibilities in my view.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. poiesia, thank you. I am not sure that Master and I see this in exactly the same way. He does not seem to have nearly the same sense of "doneness" with patty as I do. Ah well. I was done with her long ago, and am not surprised either by the falseness of the whole business or by the rabidness of her following. I will simply have none of it.

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.