Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/26/2008

Are You Happy?

I asked that question just yesterday.


Someone I've resumed a conversation with, after a gap of several years, seems continually beleaguered by responsibilities, committments, resentments, and a pent up torrent of unmet needs. It feels to me as if there is almost nothing that happens in this person's life that brings the sort of simple, unburdened joy that might point to being happy.


It caused me to think.
I've been unhappy. I've battled anger and frustration, and I've sunken into depression in the last couple of years. I know what it feels like to come awake in the morning, look at the coming day, and find no particular reason to rejoice -- over and over and over. I'm better now; good even, but I was there. I remember.


I remember, that through all those very dark days, He told me that I could choose to be happy. At the time, I felt as if He had no clue what I was dealing with, but I know now that He was precisely right. That is the problem with depression; what you believe to be true is so distorted that you can't see through all the muck you are swimming in to understand that all the world is not muck. If anything is going to change about how the world looks to you, then you have to get your head out of the muck and look at a less clouded view.


Easy to say. Hard to do.


I finally realized that I would have to change me if I was going to change the way I experienced the world. If where I was didn't "work" then what made sense was to find some way to change that. My fear, in the beginning, was that I would (again) have to leave my whole life behind and strike out on my own -- all alone. There were so-called professionals that pretty much endorsed that line of thinking. They told me in sometimes very direct ways, that the life I was living was the entire cause of my unhappiness, and that if I didn't "get out," I'd never ever be happy. I was perhaps just stubborn, but I refused to believe that. I decided that there was no one "out there" who would "fix" my problems. If I was going to save myself and save my "life," I had to take my courage in my hands and make the choices that would bring me to the place where I could live, once again, in joy.


I had support. I had people who loved me. I had the backing of His indomitable will. AND, I still needed to choose. For myself. To be happy. It hasn't come all at once, or smoothly. I don't think that I am completely "there" yet. On balance, though, I am able today to say that I am happy.


It is a choice. Daily. It takes action and focus. It is so very worth it -- to come to the quiet places in the daily rush, and notice how very good and lovely things are.
swan

3 comments:

  1. Nice soft color on the background today. *smiles*

    I like this question about happiness. I had a spiritual teacher who used to ask me about this all the time. Drove me nuts.

    It took me awhile to arrive at the conclusion that happiness is a choice and an action...but there's another part to it.

    Happiness is an expression of soul...so to me, the choice and action is not a full effort unless they take me to my soul, its purpose and all that goes with living soulfully.

    Terrific post...guess its obvious I totally agree with you. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:32 AM

    thanks for this swan. i liked the message a lot and hope i will remember it.

    you have written some very interesting posts lately. 'yes sir' also spoke to me. it seemed to distill the problem down to its very essence. very easy to understand and keep in mind.

    melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. nodding.. i was going to say you have been busy writing this week... and i am most definitely playing catch up !!

    i think we wouldn't be human if we didn't have periods in our lives where the black clouds hung low over our heads and life was more challenging than ever........

    and i tend to shut up when in those moods.. the bad ones.. the really deep ones.. shut up.. not write not talk ... i pull deep deep into myself .. and lick my wounds..

    but always there is a tiny wee bit of myself that says "smarten up.. give yourself a boot in the ass... move on from here" and eventually that wee tiny voice gets louder and i do..... manage to move on... and come back to writing and smiling and laughter.........

    (damn i seem to have forgotten exactly where i was going with this..... and ya know i had this 'brilliant' point to make - cheeky grin)

    If we didn't have black gloomy days we would never really truly appreciate the happier days... we do have a choice to be happy or not.. just some times we take a little longer to choice happy..

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.