Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/25/2008

Submitting Can Be...

Greenwoman left an interesting and evocative comment on my "Yes, Sir" post. She wrote:

*I have a hard time being told to stop whining and having unreasonable expectations when I'm feeling hurt. *That's when I feel the most rebellious and have the most difficulty with getting to "Yes Sir."...*Submission is the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. *I am not that great at it. *I fear it alot sometimes when I feel particularly vulnerable and he's really fed up about something and feeling angry and impatient.

Let's see. I'd respond:
*Me too.
*I know.
*No kidding.
*Neither am I.
*So Do I.

There. That wasn't so hard.

I absolutely believe that anyone who is doing this kind of relating with any level of seriousness, and with honest intent, runs into all those kinds of reactions and responses. It is just that there are an awful lot of people who never tell the truth about it. They set us all up for feeling inadequate because, "if we were as good as those other submissives," life would be sunshiney all the time. It is a load of crap, but hard not to get taken in by.

The honest truth is that there isn't a one of us that likes to be told to suck it up and get over it when we are feeling hurt or sad or afraid or misunderstood. That label of "submissive" or "slave" doesn't change a thing -- we are still human, with human feelings and reactions. So, of course, I want someone to empathize and sympathize with my feelings. I am lucky, and probably indulged, because Master does give my feelings a good deal of credence and lee-way much of the time. Still, I can act the "drama-queen" to the point where He WILL end the hystrionics and make it clear that it is done. That is never easy, but it is the way of things. If I don't recognize the lines, He is more than capable of reminding me. As it should be.

The honest truth is that, while sometimes submitting to His will for my life is simple and joyous and fulfilling, sometimes it is blazingly difficult. I have a strong will of my own, and I can, if allowed to do so, exert control over most things. Not Him. It frustrates the heck out of me sometimes. So, that "Yes, Sir" doesn't always come easily. No one ever promised it would. The point is, it does come.

The honest truth is that the path of submission is not always smooth or simple or easy. It can be all of those things, but it can also be very challenging -- like almost any other life-way that one follows with great passion. Challenges are not necessarily a negative.

The honest truth is that I don't know that I am all that "great" at submitting. I whine and fuss and obssess over things I never should. I grab for control anytime He puts it within my reach. I struggle and resist and carry on. And in all of that, He loves me and guides me and holds me up -- and I learn. I am not "great." I am getting better, I think.

The truth is that, if you are sane and thoughtful and not a total blooming idiot, the notion of taking your life and putting it in the hands of another IS scary. Fear is utterly reasonable. Trust is a decision -- an investment in a vision of what could be. It is not without risks, and reasonable people understand that there is a place to be fearful in the face of real risk. I want to never, ever be ashamed of my fear. I want to always be proud of my courage in the face of it.

swan

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:40 PM

    "The truth is that, if you are sane and thoughtful and not a total blooming idiot, the notion of taking your life and putting it in the hands of another IS scary. Fear is utterly reasonable. Trust is a decision -- an investment in a vision of what could be."

    Now THAT is well said. I am not sure that being "good" at submission is really the point. In some things in life, it is the journey, the effort that counts as much as the win. Yes, Trust is a decision. Sometimes it requires putting emotions aside, and deciding to do what you intellectually know is the smart or right thing to do. Personally, that takes a great effort and I am for sure not at 100%! Some women are naturally more "submissive" but then my husband was not attracted to them. I am who I am, and we work to meld our needs, as I think most couples do. You call it a "vision of what could be" I really like that. I have called it keeping your eye on the ball. Realizing the priorities in the relationship, not getting carried away by passing fears, worries, or anger. Remembering what is important and acting as if you do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Swan,

    I had an interesting experience with that 'good submissive' idea. I spent some time exploring the 'could we share this together' dance with a possible Dom. We experimented on the phone a couple times so that he could make some points with me that I was feeling nervous about.

    When the phone call was nearly over, he told me that I was a good submissive. I was blinking inwardly, because between these phone calls, I irritated him enough that he moved on.

    So...? Which was it?

    As I've thought about it over the past month or so since that happened. I guess that the truth is both are a fact of who I am. I'm irritating and I'm a terrific submissive. When I am feeling safe, I'm pliant and arousing...when I'm not, I'm an utter pain in the ass. LOL!

    KNow what I mean. *grins*

    I've thought as I've read these past couple posts, read Sara's comment and thought about my own response here that the guy was an impatient bone head. Had he taken a little more time to earn my trust, he'd have had alot of fun with me.

    Ah well...guess it worked out as he wanted it to....guess that's all there is to say about that. Except that in thinking about this, I realized that my remark about not being such a good submissive was only partially true. I hadn't given myself just due.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.