Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/01/2010

Joy and Laughter and Fun

It seems that my last post was one of those that evokes deep and thunderous silence in most of our readers.  I understand, I think.  The convoluted internal wanderings of my mind are interesting to me, but probably not to most other people.  For me, it is precisely the sort of post that works because it helps me to learn and grow and understand myself and my life as His slave.  I imagine, however, that learning about philosophy and "stuff" is not the driving force behind our daily hit numbers. 

The comments, though, seemed a little strained, as if people were "reaching" to comprehend or somehow frame what I said in some other context.  I'll address the "reframing" in another post.  For now, I'm wanting to try to respond to my friend, morningstar who wondered...

"i was bothered by this "stoic attitude" and your acceptance of it...what about joy and laughter and fun ..."
It is a fair question. I am as interested as anyone in the things that make life enjoyable. There isn't a single thing wrong with joy and laughter and fun. So, perhaps there is value in considering the ways in which we form our lives in order to bring us those things that make our days full and rich and meaningful and pleasurable.


My lifestyle choices are very different than those of most other people, and they are very different than what I once imagined for myself.  I didn't grow up dreaming of a future that would revolve around BDSM and intimate power exchange.  I don't know anyone who did.  One of the difficulties with talking about our lives is that there are very few people who do what it is that we do.  Even within the BDSM lifestyle community, I find it very rare to find people who really understand the dynamic within which I live.  It is hard to find common vocabulary and harder to find those with shared experience.  I suspect that, even when people think they "get it," there's a disconnect between what I think I am saying and what people actually understand.

I like to laugh and I like to have fun.  We laugh a lot.  With each other and at each other.  We enjoy one another and we enjoy the time we spend together.  The simple daily events that we share are sometimes prosaic and mundane, but too they are sometimes just delightful and often quite funny.  Living life with joy seems far better than the alternative.  So, I think that the real question is "how can you be joyful when confronted with events and circumstances that do not necessarily make you happy?" 

I think that there is some component of joyfulness that we are born with.  Some people seem to be lighthearted and positive by nature and others seem just naturally dour and gloomy.  Garrison Keilor, classically, makes fun of Lutherans as people who are on the dour and gloomy side of that balance:

...we were not brought up to experience pleasure. It doesn't register on us. It's like trying to write on glass with a pencil...
I'm not Lutheran. I can and do rejoice in the coming of spring, the light in the eyes of one of my kids when they triumph over mixed numbers, the warm blend of flavors in a well made pan of lasagna, the goofy antics of the cat, the comfort and safety of being snuggled into bed next to Master... So, I think that I have a fair natural capacity for joyfulness.


For the rest, living in joy is learned.  It comes out of our habits and our thought patterns and our perceptions and our interpretations of the world around us.  Aside from those events and losses that might reasonably be expected to plunge any one of us into a period of sadness -- the places where we must navigate the pathways of grief and mourning -- life can be joyful if we agree to allow it.  I know that I can choose what to think about, and how to think about it. I can choose what to remember and I can choose the terms I use to frame those memories. I can choose whether to be happy or unhappy, and I can choose whether to focus on the good or the bad.

I choose to cede my personal control to Master.  There is no way to do that while insisting that He do everything the way I would do it -- no way to give up control and simultaneously maintain control.  Sometimes, He makes decisions and choices that are contrary to what I want.  Big meanie!  I could, and sometimes I do, get angry about that.  Pout.  Get sullen and bent out of shape until He gives in and changes course to make me happy -- except that it never works that way.  He's DOMINANT.  In His bones.  He won't be pushed around or bullied or manipulated.  Certainly, not by me -- that is not at all acceptable within the context of our relationship. 

He does love me.  He wants me to be happy.  He is happy with our life together, and it distresses Him when I seem sad and angry -- I know.  So... the "stoic attitude" and my acceptance of that is a path for me to tap into the things that are good about my life and our life together.  It is a pathway to my framing those decisions that cause me distress in ways that allow me to let them go -- leave them in His hands, and dwell in joy.

swan

8 comments:

  1. In the time I've been involved in blogging, I've gotten used to posts like the one you wrote yesterday attracting little comment. Definitely happens to me too!

    I think there are a variety of reasons....from some readers only liking either the 'pink and fluffy' and/or titillating stuff to, as often happens to me, the more serious pieces touching something quite deeply inside us and leaving us feeling almost'vulnerable' somehow in our response. We've talked in the past how sometimes these posts can be like someone holding up a mirror for us.

    I know your piece on 'stoic' touched me...had me nodding along because you're right, accepting the dynamic we live in means accepting all of it and, just like life in general, there will be joyful elements of it and others where we just have to knuckle down and get on with it.

    Finding a way to deal with the less than joyful moments is essential if we are to avoid carrying the emotions associated with them forward, or we risk diluting our joyful moments for us and for others with our distress.

    Bless you for being someone who always writes from the heart....for, through your words, to me you are friend, teacher and fellow student all rolled into one.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear M:e -- thank you for affirming the work of writing deeply and honestly here. I know that you know it isn't easy. These posts that seem to create silence always cause me to have a dichotomous view of the whole business of blogging...because when I write of who I am and receive that muted sort of response -- I am inclined to judge what is going on and react to that. So, even there, I have had to learn that "stoic" attitude of indifference, and go on with what I have to say and offer.

    Thank you for joining with me, over these years, in learning and growing together. I am so glad to have you in my life.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish111:08 AM

    The thundering silence from me came from the fact that it touched me deeply in place where I am currently still struggly, fighting for my sanity, a step or two behind you. All the same feelings, but a different subject entirely. Mental health issues of one of the parents have us under constant attack as we try to care for all, and try to find the correct behavior modification for that one. Trying to employ all my usual stress limiting techniques for myself is not working very well. I guess your post was just a little too spot on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwe, Impish! I know you have been in a full on battle for an awfully long time. Is there no respite for you and yours? How long can you keep this up? I know that we all do what we have to as long as we have to ... but still!

    Hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to add my two cents: I'm with Impish and M:e...Your post was totally 'spot on' and it just touched something too deep in me this weekend for me to comment.

    Lol, did that make sense? I know what I meant to say, hopefully you can make it out too. :)

    butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  6. butterfly, impish, and M:e -- you have made my day by simply "feeling" with me. It is good to know that I am not alone in walking this particular path.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Acceptance of what we can't change is crucial, yes, but I'm not too sure how well I vibe with the idea of stoicism. I'm a firm believer in finding, keeping, magnifying, and projecting joy, passion, etc. (All the good stuff, anyway.) As I've experienced over the last few years, the best way to get it (it being pretty much anything) and keep it is to focus on it - even the bad so be wary! (Magnetic thought)

    Perhaps you're locked into the 'this is going to suck' (sorry, I'm young!) mindset - so it does? Acceptance is a good enough start, to an extent, but do you think you'd be capable of actually enjoying it if you were to look at it in that light (enjoying the intimate time with your Master - the attention he gives, passion he holds, etc) instead of focusing on not enjoying past experiences (for whatever reason) or worrying about what will come when it's time? I'd almost be willing to hazard a guess these last couple of rounds haven't been so bad because you went in with the mindset of 'I'm really going to try not to freak out, here...'

    Might be way off but nobody ever said I was the sharpest. ;) Take from it what you will, though I do think you should try putting it into practice - even if it's not in this particular kind of situation - might be surprised what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As soon as i read the post 'stoic' i knew i wanted to write a response in my blog, so that was the reason for my silence - i needed to work out exactly what i wanted to say (and it ended up completely different from what i expected). But i really appreciate posts like that that make me think and consider.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.