Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/07/2007

This is What I Do!

Some "person" over at kaya's left this comment, and try as I might, I just cannot shake the place where it chaps my hide... My father, curmudgeonly old so and so that he was, said the same thing all my life. It never stopped me from wanting to teach. As long as I've been teaching, I've heard uninformed and arrogant people who wouldn't survive two hours in a busy classroom (let alone make a success of it for the kids that were given into their care) spout that nonsense. I've had it. I understand that there are lousy teachers out there -- people who should never be allowed near a classroom or a child who is trying to learn. But the same can be said for people in every occupation. There are lousy doctors, lawyers, plumbers, accountants, politicians -- you name it, and you can find someone who sucks at doing it. I believe that this ignorant comment gets made because the perception is that teachers make less than they could "out in the corporate world" applying their knowledge there (if they were any good). You know what? That's true. I worked in corporate America for 17 years before I made the move to teaching. I made a six-figure income, and I gave it up and left it behind so that I COULD do what I'd always dreamed of, and teach. I wanted to not just make money -- I wanted to make a difference. I'll never, ever make the kind of money that I once did, because we don't value teachers the way we do other things. But that's the choice our society makes. Anyway, school starts in again in a few weeks and, I'm OVER it with the sluggo's of the world... but I'm not nearly as eloquent about it as this guy... Check it out. He speaks for so many of us who labor in classrooms to MAKE something really valuable:
swan

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM

    WOOHOO!! You go swan! Loved the clip by Taylor also. Thanks for sharing and thank you for your blog. I never comment but just had to for this. So thank you.
    Shy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:18 AM

    That video is awesome. I loved it.

    I've always said to my kids that it's the biggest shame that a person who can throw a football is paid more than those who educate our children. I say that because I don't want them to equate money with importance, or fame with heroism. I want them to understand that society puts people on pedestals for very wrong reasons, I want them to think about why someone should be iodlized.

    Am wants to be a teacher (and an author on the side :D). History and social studies are her passion. I hope she does. I can't think of anything I'd be more proud of.

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  3. kaya -- how wonderful that you've raised a teacher in waiting. It is the most amazing "calling!" I hope she finds it the kind of joyful work that I do. We so need good, talented, creative, dedicated people to take up that path and make it happen for them... Give her a hug for me.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shy... glad to "meet" you.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swan, thanks, my teachers made such a difference in my life, at seventy plus, I still thank god for my teachers.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the daughter of a teacher and sister to a teacher, that phrase has never been allowed in our home.

    Although I loved the career I used to have, and it took a lot of training and specialized skills (and was a very necessary public service job), it always seemed a little wrong to me that I made the same income without a bachelor's degree as my mom was making with 17 years in that district (plus 10 years in another), head of department, site council president, etc etc.

    Now that my B has his Master's in a teaching field, he seems to hear that "joke" often. It's not ok with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:33 AM

    Great video, and I couldn't agree with him or you more. I still remember the passionate teachers through every stage of my school life....they really DID make a difference, teaching us as much about ourselves and who we could become, as the subjects they inspired us to become interested in.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:50 PM

    I loved the video and have passed it on to the many teachers in my life. Both of my parents were teachers and I never saw two people work harder in my life. In fact, I chose a different path and a different kind of teaching because I just didn't feel that I had the right stuff to teach all day every day in a way that respected what I found to be the very difference in people. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.