Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/30/2008

Friends

I've spent some time in the last few weeks on a relatively new social networking site for BDSM practitioners and other "kinky" people. The place is called Fetlife, and it is an exceptionally well-designed, multi-featured, networking space that is growing and improving, in terms of function, everyday.

Today, however, I have initiated the process of withdrawing from the site. The reasons for that decision are complicated. In simple terms, I have come to feel very overwhelmed, and somewhat out of place there. Partly, that is because of my own way of being in the world, the things I value in my relations with others, and the importance to me of deep, thoughtful conversation about the things that I care about. Partly, my urge to disentangle myself from the Fetlife milieu has to do with the energy, time, and focus that it takes. I don't find that participation there supports my continued growth and development as a slave, it does not enhance my understanding of my role or my place. The time and energy that I have to invest to keep up with people on the site detracts from what I really should be doing.





One of the biggest problems, for me, is the speed of every Fetlife conversation. On most of my days, I am unable to even access the place until I am home, and settled with the computer for the evening. The sheer volume of material that accumulates in the groups that I am connected to is almost always overwhelming, but if I manage to tumble onto some topic that I could engage in the conversation with, I find I hardly ever have time to make a considered and thoughtful comment. In most cases, before I can get there and think what I might say, people have already said everything they are interested in saying and have moved on. In the few instances where I've gone ahead and put up some comment, there has been no response at all. It is clear that the group gallops on and never looks back.





It really is probably just me. I am not a text messager. I don't live in a "Bluetooth" world. I am simply not interested in being that "in touch" with the rest of the world all the time. I want to converse. That implies something very specific to me. I "talk with" and "talk to" people all the time. Talking is the way we get the business of civil life done. So, throughout the day, I'll talk with the store clerk, the repair person, the customer support representative, the paper delivery kid, the receptionist at the doctor's office, and a host of others. I am also "talked at" by radio and TV and the like. My world can be full of all kinds of words. Most of them are not particularly evocative, and they generally don't create much of a response in me. Conversation, on the other hand, is cordial, and social, and connective. I like to meander along conversational pathways with interesting companions. For me, at least, that kind of shared thinking and verbal exploring happens best with spaces and quiet places in between the lines. Good conversation is a slow-moving dance where the participants need time to fully react and respond to whatever is posited by their partner or partners.




Then there is the business of collecting "friends." I understand (sort of) that the whole point is to create webs of people that one is linked to -- and that each of these linkages is a "friend." A cursory look around the place will turn up people who have dozens, and even hundreds of "friends." And, as in the days when I was a teenager, the number and quality of your "friends," as measured by some mysterious criterion which only those "in the know" understand, defines a person's social capital. The class system is alive and well in the social networking realm of cyberspace.





And that's OK. It just isn't how I understand things. In my view, a friend is someone I have known for awhile. I have a real affinity for my friends. I understand them, and they understand me. We can trust each other, and we genuinely care about what happens in each other's lives. My father was prone to emphasize to us as we grew up, that while we might have lots of acquaintances, we'd be lucky to find a few good friends. That seems to be still true for me. There are lots of people that I "know" in some fashion, but that hardly makes them friends. I might even genuinely like those people, find them interesting or admirable or entertaining, but that does not qualify them as genuine friends. Friends tell you the truth, listen to you whine, pick you up when you crash, and love you through whatever stupidity or calamity you encounter.



I've been writing in this weblog format for several years now. The intent of this place was to help reduce a sense of isolation, and it was meant to bring me into contact and community with others who could be part of a circle of support for my lifestyle choices and struggles and questions. Too, it was intended as a place for me to think out loud, about whatever was going on in my world, and therefore, in my mind. In the final analysis, the reason this Blog exists is because it serves to support my life and development as His slave. It serves that purpose well. The connections are ones that have formed over time. The conversations are largely driven by my own mental pondering Here, we don't move to the next topic until I'm ready to move. Here, I don't have to justify or qualify my existence. I don't have to provide any sort of credentials. What you see here is what you get. If you want to be part of the group that gathers to visit, then please join right in, but there's no requirement for anyone to participate if they choose otherwise. There's no great "social capital" to hanging out with me or with us. We are not inclined to the roles of diva, guru, expert, or even "cool kid on the playground."



I honestly don't know how many there are who would count themselves a "friend" of this place if we were counting that way. The blogroll shifts and evolves as people emerge into our vision. We don't feel like the list of sites that we link to is anything other than an easy way to reach the people that we read on some regular basis. If we happen to become interested in a site, they are likely to end up in the blogroll. We don't engage in "link-whoring," and we don't try to sell the place. It is what it is. The statistics tell us that people come and go. It seems likely that there is a pretty regular core of visitors -- most of whom remain anonymous and silent. Perhaps their conversational engagement happens where we cannot see it.



In the end, I think there is value to online social networking models like Fetlife. I think, if it works for you, that is a great thing. I won't be spending time there anymore. For me, it is like the choice between vacationing in Glacier National Park, and vacationing in Las Vegas. Both places have their fans, but I hope to live and die and never, ever set foot in Las Vegas.



swan

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:36 PM

    Hello swan,
    hmmm, your comments state so eloquently my feelings about spaces such as My Space & LinkedIn. Oh, i am not a great conversationalist (Geminis talk a lot but aren't always thoughtful nor polite enough to wait for a response), but i just don't understand this entire "friend" thing. As if trollers could be considered friends.

    Thanks to your comments, i am able to avoid still another instance of this "online community" phenomena.

    Sir's pet

    PS: i also have trouble with the professional networking idea of those organizations we join to keep up with the "new" in whatever field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:18 AM

    Swan,

    Many thanks for this posting. I'd been asked to find out a little about Fetlife, but its been difficult to do so without knowing anyone who has actually experienced it.

    From your description, I'm not sure it would be for us. You may remember when I wrote publicly how I always used to say I'd rather curl up on the sofa with a few good friends for a quiet chat than be in a 'busy bar' with lots of people and noisy chatter....that still holds true.

    When I visit here each day, I always feel it IS like looking in on a friend, though I am conscious of not commenting much at the moment. Events at home (mostly good ones) have made me quiet, reflective, for some time now. The places I visit have been reduced to literally a handful, where I can 'kick off my shoes', relax for a while, and listen to some good and often thought provoking 'conversation'

    Every part of this community has its place, as you say its own value. Thank you for continuing to provide the 'soft sofa, coffee and chat' I find here.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. swan..

    i don't know if you know this.. but Sir and i actually know the chap who started fet life.. and were invited to do a test run of the site before it went public..(so to speak)...

    i tried to beg out because i am not a facebook / fetlife sort of person.. but i finally agreed (with some insistence on Sir's part) to do this dry run.....

    i didn't go back on for months after that.. wasn't that interested.. then those here in our part of the Great White North were singing the praises of Fet life.. so i thought.. heck why not go back.. maybe it is different from all those other meat markets...

    It isn't...

    and like you.. i was overwhelmed by the amount of discussion (if one can call it that) that goes on in one day!! and then just poof disappears...

    There are "real" folks on there.. people who actually practice and live the lifestyle.. but my gut feeling says there are a whole lot of posers.... anyway.. one of the real folk is a friend and she contacted me and suggested we try and organize a munch from all the local folks on Fetlife..

    we did..
    it was Saturday..
    and it was packed .. much like Fetlife is packed..
    and there wasn't ONE decent conversation or discussion - that i heard - in the 4 hours or so we were there.. (Unless of course you count the chatter at our end of the table.. LOL)

    Personally i believe sites like Fetlife are a bit of a meat market.. filled with kinetic motion and chatter.. it tires me.. i don't need it......

    Maybe i am too old to get excited over sites like that.. too accustomed to the way Sir and i do things.. too tired of giving advise .. the same advise.. over and over.. let someone else take up the gauntlet and run with it....

    like you .. i will snuggle into my blog and be content with my / our quiet way of life ........


    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. m:e!!! I am so glad to see you! It has been too long, but I am glad you are well. I do remember you writing about your preferences in terms of socializing.
    I don't really think Fetlife is bad necessarily. In fact, I think it is reall very well designed. It just doesn't match my life or my needs.

    Sir's Pet -- Both T and I are "German girls," so I understand what you are talking about. I know that our "Irishman" is sometimes completely baffled by the way our minds work. But then, we are as often amazed at His as well.

    Morningstar, I knew you were around on Fetlife. Saw you in a few places. I did see that you were arranging the munch. It sounds like the group that gathered was about like the people we've met at PEER here in Cincinnati. They are part of the "community," but not people we'd choose to hang out with. Sigh.
    I do hope your remodelling is moving along well, and that all can be in readiness for the upcoming weddings.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. swan, I totally understand it being FAST paced. It is! And I understand it not being the way you communicate. I am sorry to see you leave but totally understand.

    I am going to be in the minority I know. I don't get much time to interact with other like minded folks - face to face or even online. And it has been one of going issue for my depression. I am a person who loves to curl up with a good book and cup of tea. But I also need friends to laugh and just discuss things with - I need that interaction. And I don't get that here locally.

    Livejournal does the whole "friends" thing too. And I don't like that they call it friending for many of the reasons you stated but understand for those kind for those kind of sites "friend" doesn't take on the meaning it does for me personally.

    I will say though in "friending" a few people I met through communities on LJ - I have people I can call dear true friends. They have been there for me through hard times. We talk on the phone and laugh. We just have good friendships. And I guess that is how I make it different in my mind. There are "friends" on social networking but friendships when it is the meaningful connection and bond.

    Fetlife is face paced but for me right now that seems to work as my time is just so little -- that I participate when I can and let the rest go by. I still am getting interaction - I just don't comment on groups as much as others probably because I don't have the time. But I am still getting something from some of the discussions.

    Mainly the thing I am liking about Fetlife -- is that it isn't seeming like bondage.com or collarme.com. Yes it could turn that way and might have quite a few hng's there now. But right now I am enjoying that when I sign on to fetlife I am not messaged 10 times with "get on your knees bitch" type comments within moments of logging in. I had to stop signing into bondage and collarme for those reason. I don't like their discussion boards for the same reason -- I seem to get hit on more when I use them. So I stopped.

    Right now it is a good interaction for me. But if it starts getting like other sites I have been on -- I know I will need to step aside from it too. Again I totally understand your reasons. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. Not really my place either for all the same reasons. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi danae -- I absolutely understand that longing for companionship and some sort of interaction with people who "get it." I don't think Fetlife is a bad vehicle for that if it works for you. I just think I am too old to really get into all that frenetic chatter. So, I'll keep plugging along the slower path, but will be glad to visit with you whenever you have the time or inclination.

    Hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree too. The whole 'friends' thing just makes me feel like I did at school. Not part of the 'in crowd'.

    I like coming here.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree too. The whole 'friends' thing just makes me feel like I did at school. Not part of the 'in crowd'.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.