Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/19/2008

McCain and Humiliation Play?

Fair warning. My political attitudes will be clearly displayed in what follows. If you don't want to get into political "stuff," or if you are offended by the expression of definite liberal views, you may just want to move along your reading list.

I know that there are those in our lifestyle who take part in "humiliation play." Consensually, these folks "play" with words, names, and activities that are intended to push the psychological envelope. Danae went out and rounded up this list of definitions:

  • to reduce to a lower position in one's own eyes or others' eyes : mortify

  • to make someone feel ashamed or lose their respect for themselves

  • loss of dignity: the feeling or condition of being lessened in dignity or pride

  • lessening of somebody's dignity: the act of damaging somebody's dignity or pride

  • The state of being humiliated, humbled or reduced to lowliness or submission

  • state of disgrace or loss of self-respect* strong feelings of embarrassment


For those who play this way, name calling and the use of words that might be considered vulgar otherwise, can be a source of great eroticism.

It makes me wonder if perhaps, that is what John McCain, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee was up to when he referred to his wife, Cindy, as a "cunt" in 1992. It is interesting that most of us never, ever heard about it, even though it was done in a press conference, right in front of the press and broadcast media folks. Maybe it is just that McCain was at the cutting edge of bringing our lifestyle into the public eye and attempting to de-stigmatize what it is that we do. Do you think?

Here's a funny bit, done by Public Service Administration, that parodies the way the news media MIGHT have handled that incident:







Hehehehehehe!
swan

4 comments:

  1. You know...that's a really good point...WHY DID THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA NOT PICK THIS UP? Calling your wife that word in public shows poor judgment at the least, but is so absurdly inappropriate, tasteless and crude.

    If Obama had referred to Michelle this way there would have been public outrage of behalf of Michelle and a huge turning of the tide against Obama. And no doubt, they would have found a way to saturate the airwaves with it.

    I am furious, and I have some choice words for John McCain...however I do not believe in using these types of words in public and certainly not in a friend's journal.

    The video is certainly funny, but it uncovers a deeper issue in the way the press treats this candidate.

    (I realize I miss the entire point of your post, but of course I am caught by the politics of the matter...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yanno....I have NEVER been a fan of McCan't. But I came across this article about how he left his disabled FIRST wife for a monied Mistress and I dislike him even more....

    Read it for yourself...

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1024927/The-wife-John-McCain-callously-left-behind.html

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sighs....* Its just better that I sputter wordlessly. Really. *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tangerine -- No. I think you get the point exactly. You and I may go at the discussion from different perspectives, but in spite of my ornery, tongue-in-cheek take on this business, I think you and I would agree that John McCain is NOT one of "ours." He is so not one of ours that I cannot imagine any scenario that would result in this man being elected to the presidency. I listen to the various news media opinions that hold that former Hilary Clinton supporters might vote for McCain (or even just not vote), and I am stunned. I can understand disappointment. I can understand sadness. I can understand anger. What I cannot understand is that there is anybody who would be willing to actively or passively act in such a way as to put McCain into the White House. Do these people not have daughters, granddaughters, sisters, friends? Do they not have friends and relatives who are gay or lesbian? How can anyone possibly contemplate giving John McCain an opportunity to shape laws, to name Supreme Court justices, to bring his warped, strange, totally unethical set of values into the shaping of our national course?

    I don't agree with Barack Obama on everything, but I have read his books. I absolutely believe that he is a thoughtful and intelligent man who can be talked to and who listens and learns. He is not a person who believes he is right no matter what. He is not someone who makes up his mind and then discounts every contrary opinion. I believe that he has the skills and character to lead us all, and lead us well.

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.