Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/17/2012

Spiritual Backpacking and Shamanism

Last weekend was our two-day "Way of the Shaman" workshop.  It was a full weekend, packed with new experiences and new information.  I ended each day feeling drained, weary, and a little punchy.  The torrent of information left me unable to make much sense of what I'd learned.  I knew that it was going to take me some time to process and sort.

We learned and practiced a number of techniques, and while I understand that listing them here will not mean much to our readers, I feel like I need to acknowledge what was offered by the presenters as a beginning point for my own practice.  We learned and practiced:

  • EXTRACTION
  • POWER RETRIEVAL 
  • DIVINATION
  • JOURNEYING (Upper and Lower worlds) 
  • POWER PRACTICE
It is all very interesting, and I found myself alternately diving deeply into the awareness of this bit of reality that I am sometimes only peripherally aware of... and then falling into an analytical frame of mind, evaluating each experience like the science geek I can sometimes be.  From time to time, as the workshop progressed, and I listened to others describe the intricacies of their fantastic visions, I wondered if I was perhaps not "doing it right."  Where some described journeys full of talking wolves and beautiful, strong, young Native American "teachers," I saw simple stone fountains and plates of sweet grapes.  Standing out in the parking lot of the hotel where the workshop was held, singing the morning sun song, seemed a lot like public humiliation play, and trying to "dance my power animal," was only difficult because I had to try not to giggle hysterically. 

OK.  I'll admit it -- I am and earthbound, skeptical, prosaic, old woman. 

I appreciated the instruction in techniques for accessing that "other" reality, but I am not interested in living life there.  I am glad for tools and practices that help me live better, day by day -- but I expect to do the vast majority of that living right here in this world; this reality.  Power animals and spirit helpers / teachers are welcome to the party that goes on in my head.  I'll take all the help I can get.  In the final analysis, however, I am responsible for me and I'll make my decisions as best I can.  

The best, and most useful parts of the weekend for me?  I "heard" quite distinctly that I need to relax; to avoid rigid patterns; to keep my heart light; to go with the currents and tides; to listen more deeply; to keep myself grounded and steady and stable; to practice simplicity; to approach others with gentleness and compassion.  

Rattles and drums?  Soul songs?  Spirit canoes?  Rock divination?  Spirit guides and power animals?  Talismans?  All of that seems like infrastructure to me -- bridges across the gap between here and "not here."  I am glad to have been shown another way to move between the realities, but I find I am not absorbed or enthralled.  Intrigued, yes.   Open to the possibilities, yes.  I am.  I think all of this can just fold into my days and my nights; add another dimension to my experience of my world; enrich my life.  I am not interested in living in the realm of "non-ordinary" reality.  I want to learn to be fully present and engaged with this reality.  The days are each precious.  Life is truly a good gift.  I don't need a spirit ally to convince me of that one.

swan  

2 comments:

  1. dance my power animal," was only difficult because I had to try not to giggle hysterically.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Honestly swan - that bit had me laughing out loud!! ohhhhhhhhhhhh i so understand what you are saying..........

    i remember a workshop the teachers had to take on reality therapy (many years ago)

    most of it I could swallow and even participate in - BUT - when they asked us to scream primeval screams - I found myself fidgeting - watching/listening to others taking part with great enthusiasm. When the animators approached me and told me to scream - I sat for maybe 2 minutes looking at them - running a number of answers around in my head - but finally - stood and quietly left the group, I discovered I had no screams inside - and could not /would not participate in the humiliation of trying to find one... shrug...

    You at least stuck it out and tried :) good for you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you went and learned a bit more...you take the parts that are useful to you now and dismiss the rest (is that possible or frowned upon?).

    Hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.