Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/25/2006

About dignity; About grace; About integrity

I've come to the conclusion, and not for the first time, that finding your way into this lifestyle in public gives one an unalterably different point of view than if you "learn the ropes" in the cyber realms. There are just somethings that can only be learned (I am convinced) in the actual presence of real humans -- face to face. It has to be seen, absorbed, watched carefully, heard, felt, modeled, pondered for awhile -- and then absorbed, watched carefully, heard, felt, modeled, and pondered again and again.

I was lucky to meet Master and T very early in my explorations, and then to be quickly introduced by them to the public scene. When I left them after that first headlong dive into the deep waters of the real live, public, practicing, BDSM community, and traveled back to my home in Denver, I worked hard to find others who would help me learn and grow in my understanding and knowledge of my budding self-awareness. I learned more than could ever be written in a whole library of books by simply spending time with those who "did" BDSM in a variety of ways. I came to know many, many people (in many walks of life) who identified as Tops/Dominants/Masters, or bottoms/submissives/slaves, and some switches -- both male and female. Most were happy to share and guide and teach and mentor. Even those with whom I had no direct conversation, taught me by the fact that I was able to watch and learn from the way they conducted themselves.

I learned about dignity; about grace; about integrity. I learned about how those on both sides of the power exchange dynamic ensure that the bridge between them is crossed with intention and understanding, so that they arrive at their mutual destination with awareness and agreement and consent, not abuse. I learned that one can bend and bow, endure excruciating pain, submit to all sorts of torment and humiliation, and remain entirely noble and self-contained if the spirit knows the truth of who it is. I learned that service, done well can be art, I learned that slavery is not "just" any one thing -- not just sex, not just pain, not just fetish. It is connection, committment, growing in knowledge of what is pleasing and helpful and needed and wanted. I also learned a whole lexicon for the "critters" that come to the life with broken personalities and immature value systems who only want what it is they want -- the would be's and the wannabe's and the won't-ever be's; the lookie-loo's (who only want to watch), and those who come to "stand and model" in all their fancy fetish wear. One of the most interesting of all these is the do-me queen. A "do-me queen" is someone who usually claims to be submissive, but who is generally exceedingly needy and demanding. They have to be "done" on a regular, and usually escalating schedule, or they get unhappy, pouty, and bratty. A do-me queen can wear a Dominant out in short order. Talk about topping from the bottom! Whoever and however they showed up in all their glorious variety, they taught me and helped me grow. I've come to value their various contributions to my path, and know just how rare that part of my education really was.

These days, isolated in the conservative hell that is Cincinnati, Ohio, I miss that thriving public, real-life, community. To be sure, there are a few of you here in the cyber realm, who have come to be such good and valued friends, but you are a rare treasure. So many others, in this odd "universe" don't share the culture that I just assume is part of this life. There is no common ground of protocol, manners, dignity, grace. I find it disconcerting and frankly baffling. Somedays, I just feel old. And then again, maybe I just miss my friends, Dear Gabriel and kaylem, and His wry observation that it wasn't all about "blow jobs and butt sex." How very, very true.

swan

5 comments:

  1. OH MY !!! i had completely forgotten about Gabriel and kaylem swan!! So many have come and gone.. i thought i remembered the names of the ones i cared about .. but i forgot them :(

    if you hear anything of/from them please give them my best........

    and you.. dear lady.. as i have said before.. oh how i wish we lived closer!! well who knows ??? maybe one day you will travel north - to the Great White North.. or Sir and i will travel south to Ohio..

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:16 PM

    Sometimes I wonder if people crawl into my head and pull out all the little things that bother me about myself and then in the heat of finding them, in order to save me the disgrace, they use a sample or generic application of their knowledge in order to make me find my ground. In the seven years in this lifestyle, I, as a Dominate AND as a bottom, have found little want or need to be put on display in a public venue.

    As a bottom, I found that there was nothiing you could say that could convince me that there was anyone in that room, other than Master that earned the right to see me in a vulnerable state let alone nude.

    As a Top, my techniques and my intense personal time with my submissives was just exactly that. PERSONAL, and I would be darned if anyone was going to cheapen that with rude conversation or leering eyes in order to bond with my submissive.

    Now, here, you have given me a totally new way of seeing things.

    Swan, you are one of the few eloquent voices who have hit my heart with a shock of reality. Now, if I could just change my way of thinking, I think I might be a commodity that is in high demand such as yourself. Such grace and eloquence... I consider myself lucky to be able to read your words of wisdom.

    Thank you...

    (not sure if I am) His one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:08 PM

    "I learned that one can bend and bow, endure excruciating pain, submit to all sorts of torment and humiliation, and remain entirely noble and self-contained if the spirit knows the truth of who it is"
    GOOD STUFF. I found you on kaya's site, and I really truly enjoy reading your thoughts. I belong to a wonderful Master here in Colorado Springs (You, having lived in Denver, MUST know how conservative THIS town is) and as He was the one who found me, one could say I am relatively new to this life, having had no experience before Him.

    I love what I learn, from what you write, Swan. Thank you.

    ~magpie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, dear morningstar -- I too wish we lived closer, or at least were able to travel to be together somehow. Our hearts seem to sing the same song so often... Perhaps in time, as you say. Until then, please know how dear you truly are to me.

    swan

    His one -- As I have written before, there is (for me at least) great joy and great validation in the larger community. It is not solely (as so many assume, about being on display. It is about being WITH others who truly know and understand and DO what it is we do, and living for a few shining days or hours as "not other." There is nothing more glorious or affirming.

    swan

    magpie -- Welcome! I do indeed know the conservatism of Colorado Springs. The only saving grace there is that it is not a terribly long drive into Denver. I wish you well in your explorations and growth. Please visit again.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. *nods nods* as always relating. There is no "community" here in Grand Junction. And even though we do get to Denver, our time is usually taken up with business and family. I feel oh so very isolated often. I sink into myself and distant myself from the blogworld as well because it hard to maintain any type of friendships when slavery and service to Him is my priority...and many can't understand that.

    I wrote I think last week...that SM isn't the end all be all for us as Master/slave. Take it away and we still are Master/slave. And unfortunately lately SM is very rare as there is just not time for it. So I totally understand that is not all blowjobs and butt sex....damn!

    I miss Gabriel and kaylem too. But I am glad to read your words swan and so often relate to them and not feel so alone. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.