Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/29/2006

Nothing is Simple

I was awake early this morning -- 3:45, and unable to get back to sleep. Often in the last year, those wakeful, quiet, dark hours have given rise to spiraling and swirling sadness. This morning was calmer and more contemplative, as I looked back to the hours exactly a year ago when I was preparing for the surgery that has set me on the long path of struggle and discovery that has comprised this last twelve months.

I look back and I find it hard to sort and sift:

The things that happened because of the very real and very serious health concerns that created the move to seek out and agree to the hysterectomy in the first place -- and that continued even beyond the surgery itself, complicating and prolonging the recovery.

The initial lack of any sort of hormonal support or monitoring (on the part of my doctor) for potential hormonal impacts of the surgery. That left me completely unprepared for the disappointment that I encountered when I did finally get through the long recovery phase and then encountered the reality of a vastly diminished sexual response. It was at that point that I also discovered my doctor's lack of preparedness and/or willingness to address those issues.

So much "life" going on while all of that was happening: work stresses all around, health worries that just seem to keep on creeping into our lives in ever more insidious and increasingly tenacious ways, parents with all their various difficulties and needs and demands and issues, all the adult and nearly adult children -- don't we get to quit worrying about them eventually???, cars, clothes, teeth, plumbing, electrical, appliances, finances... Oh good grief!!!

We noted, pretty quietly and sort of in passing this month, that we've reached the 4-1/2 year mark of real time, full time, living together as a family. We've gotten "accustomed to" each other. There's a lot to be said for that. It is comfortable and mostly easy and predictable and mostly safe and secure. We understand each other and we know the rules and the expectations and the routines. There are more places where we are easier where each other. I suppose that seems odd to those who would imagine that BDSM (and M/s in particular) should not BE easy.

Perhaps they are right. I know He has left a very great deal of leeway for me this year. I'm surely not spanked like I might have been before. I know He is afraid for my well-being, both physical and emotional. He simply does not believe that I am sturdy. I've not been in the stocks for over a year. Not once. Perhaps in time. I miss it by times, but I'm afraid, too. If He doesn't believe in me, I don't believe in myself either. We spar more with each other emotionally, and verbally. I test more. I'm not as sure. I know that I am suspicious in a way that I never used to be. That is an artifact of our encounter with outsiders who, because we trusted and were open, were able to come into our lives in a very difficult and ultimately destructive way. It has made me afraid to seek contact with others, and that has led to further isolation.

I've come to the end of the year with a whole lot of new prescriptions. I am determined to end some of that as soon as I possibly can.

I've got myself a passle of paradoxes: woman without feminine sexual responses -- slave with an awful lot of choices -- mother without children -- spouse without marriage -- masochist who struggles with pain -- lonely wanting to avoid contact with other people...

Just not simple... not anymore. Maybe never was.

swan

3 comments:

  1. I’m reminded of that old story of the poor fellow who was struggling along through life enduring one disaster after another. He finally reached the point where he knew he had nothing left. He was just about to give up when he heard a voice out of heaven saying: “Cheer up! Things could be worse.!’ So he did –
    and they were.”

    One thing about being a masochist Swan, is you can find at least as much pleasure in a whack in the ass as there is in a kiss on the cheek. You just gotta look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Perhaps they are right."

    I wonder.. "They" generally never are, in my experience.

    The trials and tribulations your family has gone through in the past two years from Knee, through Bad Experience, through your operation, and the results of that, and ..sundries.. would be enough to break up any household that is less..well centered.

    From his rare posts, your Husband shows real and genuine care for your well-being, and an utter and resolute love for you.
    I simply have the feeling he's not "holding back" or "giving leeway", but simply having to "feel" his way into new territory, with everything that's changed.

    After all "BDSM is not just laying about with a flogger", and a good Master tries to get it right.
    Which is hard enough even at the best of times..

    Then again, I might be completely missing the boat here. Only the Heretic knows his own mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grumblin, I doubt very much that you are missing the boat. This has not been an easy road for any of us. I've always thought that the most difficult position in the whole power exchange dynamic is that of Dominant or Master. The responsibility of taking on so much power is enormous. When this comes to be "life" and not simply something done for pleasure of for play, the realities and vagaries of life DO impinge, and they must be accounted for. He takes very god care of all of us.

    Thank you for "knowing," from so far away, the truth of that.

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.