Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/16/2006

Strange Conversations

Sometimes it gets lonely. One of the realities of this life is that there is often a shortage of "outside the family" folks to talk with. The people that I interact with socially and professionally must, necessarily, be kept entirely in the dark about the truth of my life. It is not that I am ashamed, but revealing the facts of how I live would jeopardize us financially and perhaps legally. So isolation is the price we pay for safety. I am not a social butterfly, but I do, by times, long for conversation and companionship -- for the simple comfort of talking with others who understand what it is to live life as we do.

Lately, I've been spending time in a BDSM chat room. I've never really done the chat room thing before. It has been an interesting experience.

For starters, I'm generally one of the oldest people in the room, if not THE oldest. Sometimes that means that no one talks with me at all. Sometimes. When that happens, it gives me the opportunity to observe the goings on.

I understand that the majority of participants in the room at any point are probably not there, as I am, simply for the sake of companionship and conversation, but good grief! The place is not a "chat room" -- it is a meat market where those who are nominally dominant and submissive are clambering (in a cyber sense) over one another to get to each other. That's just fine, if that's your thing, but I find it oddly distracting and disturbing somehow.

A couple of examples of the exchanges I've been involved in during the bit of time I've spent --

One young woman, who claimed to be submissive, and who stated that she "had" a Dominant, was all over the place, making over every would be "Master" in the room. Most were more than glad to "play" with her -- an interesting phenomenon, but she seemed to not mind it in the least and cavorted gaily from one to another. Finally one enquired if her Master did not mind such antics. she replied that He was not a master -- "just a DOM." I was stunned. No one else seemed to question the logic of her statement, but I wondered at the devaluing of the D/s relationship that she had entered into with the person to whom she referred as "just a DOM."

On another occasion, I was hanging out, just observing. Most of those who were in the room were male. Eventually one of them asked if I were male or female and I replied that I was female. Then he asked if I were submissive. I told him I was The Heretic's slave. He wondered if I had permission to play with others, and I told him, "no -- that I enjoyed talking and came for the companionship." I thanked him, politely for asking. He was accepting of that and did not make an issue of it. Shortly someone else came into the room, and essentially the same conversation was repeated. And then there was a third repetition of the same gambit. This time however, the fellow was not at all accepting of my polite declining of his wish to play. He became angry and beligerant -- "why was it that everyone in the room was already attached and not available?" The room would soon fall to ruin; people would get bored and stop coming, yada, yada, yada... I chose to simply have no further conversation with him -- seemed no point. One other man in the room did comment to me that he had a slave of his own who would have behaved the same way. He told me that he admired my sense of faithfulness and decorum.

It is strange. I don't find it bad or wrong or inappropriate so much as just disappointing and shallow. When I did finally find my way to the BDSM lifestyle subculture, I found (very quickly) people who were living it in real life. I found people who went to public dungeons; or more correctly, private clubs and practiced the arts and disciplines and techniques of the life WITH other people. There were protocols and there were acceptable norms and there were expectations. I "grew up" with a community understanding of decorum that suffused everything. We understood that what we did was sexual and erotic and alternative. We also knew that it was social and interpersonal and communal -- that we relied on and needed one another and that the rules that governed our interactions were important and protected us all. Top, bottom, Dominant, submissive, Master, slave, switch, male, female, gay, lesbian, transgendered -- each of us honored who we were, and we honored one another. In my experience, that is still mostly true in the public scene. Cyber seems to lessen people's sense need for rules or norms. I think we are poorer for it.

swan

6 comments:

  1. i will try and hide my "soap box" swan for the topic of on line chat rooms can and DOES from time to time get me going....

    a few years ago.. like you i was desperate for some real interaction with real people who believed in real BDSM... i felt like some nomad roaming the desert - going from one chat room to another.. from one chat program to another.. until i landed up - god only knows how - on something called paltalk.

    Back then there were a couple of serious "rooms" for serious people who were "real".. mostly from the states but i did find a male sub who landed up living not 10 minutes from me... there were discussion groups held every Tuesday evening (if memory serves me right) and the topic would be posted .. along with appropriate urls for reading material prior to the night... it was a time and place that did much to renew my belief in the possibility of life on line.......

    i went back to paltalk - last summer.. briefly.. to see if anyone from those days was still around.. it amazed me - it shouldn't have but it did - that the only ones still frequenting the rooms were the ones who only played on line. only lived on line.... i deleted the program from my hard drive......

    life on line - as i have said many times before - to multitudes of people - is a life of smoke and mirrors........... sadly.

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:37 AM

    All I can think to say is 'yes'. Yes yes and yes.

    I gave up on chat rooms a long time ago, finding myself getting angry more than anything else. Now, I have a few "real" people on msn and that's all I'm allowed for interaction.

    Though I do sometimes long for someone new to talk to; new advice, new experience, new things to share, I'm much too jaded to find that person in a chat room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:38 AM

    That was me, kaya, up there. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. swan: I'd like to respond privately, but can't find an e-mail address for you on the blog or profile. Could you e-mail Me at Mistress@ratemydays.com ? I'd appreacite it if you could. Thanks and best wishes.

    --Lenora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree. I also have lived in chat rooms for a few years, it was my way of being introduced to it all. Now i hate going there, am striving to bring it all offline as much as possible. It's shallow and distressing, only rarely can you find someone who's willing to discuss genuine issues.

    --{milla}

    ReplyDelete
  6. morningstar, kaya -- thank goodness for you both. You keep me sane some days (or at least what passes for sane these days). I'm really not trying to be provocative or naive with this one. I just want a few people to talk to sometimes -- a few who know that somedays a slave needs a place where it is safe to be able to go snarl and whine a bit, or maybe one or two who can say honestly, "Yeah, been there done that..." I'm just damned lonely. But clearly this ain't gonna get it. Sigh.

    Lenora -- sent you the email... Just switched this mess over to Blogger Beta. Have no clue what happened to the email links. Will have to track that down I suppose. :-P

    milla -- I guess I'm glad for the "me too" although it doesn't solve my problem exactly. Anyway, nice to hear from you :-)

    hugs all,
    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.