Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/12/2008

Guilt -- Roots?

Our family has, in the last few weeks/months, made the acquaintance of several people who are new to the lifestyle, curious about the lifestyle, or making a transition from one sort of BDSM practice (or perceived set of roles) to another. Our new friends comprise an interesting cross-section of people with a wide range of relational dynamics and desires. We don't pretend to have "answers," although we do gladly offer to share what we've learned along the way with anyone who has the patience to listen to us all babble on about what it is that we do.


There is so much that someone "new" to all of this wants/needs to know. For us, it really is a matter of listening carefully, responding openly, and then sharing the fruits of our journeying over the years.


One thing that has come up with a couple of these people is the notion that there is something about all of this that might/can/should engender guilt (or some similar emotion). There is a lot that fuels that reaction. It is based on a set of assumptions and social beliefs that are so convoluted, it can take weeks or months or even years to unravel it and begin to sort it all out. I don't pretend to be any kind of expert, but I do think that, until a person comes to terms with that set of assumptions and beliefs, it is very difficult to move forward into a healthy and joyful BDSM relationship dynamic.


So, let me see if I can get to some of the roots of this kind of guilty reaction...

I really believe that the most likely source of BDSM-related guilt is the connection between almost all of what constitutes BDSM and sex. I know and acknowledge that there is the sort of Dominance/submission relationship that is not specifically (or even remotely) sexual. There are relationships that are entirely and purely based on service. At least that is what I have heard and read. I've never personally met anyone involved in such a dynamic. Almost always, at some level, it is about sex/romance/love.


Power is sexy. Power is erotic. Power is hot. If I give my power, if it is taken and used to move me in ways I cannot control or direct, that can give my partner and I, both, a huge arena in which to explore our sexual natures.


What makes that so difficult for so many of us is that we mostly come from a social background that tells us (from the time we are very small) that sex is bad, sick, wrong, crude, vulgar, dirty, perverted, nasty, disgusting, ... It is so disgusting in fact, that it must absolutely be saved for the marriage relationship (huh?). Even then, it must only be engaged in within certain very tightly defined boundaries. Anything that is outside of the approved sexual expression list, is cause for extreme guilt.

Much of that is driven by traditional religious dogma and convention. I know that my own Roman Catholic upbringing was pervaded with messages that made it clear to me what was considered "good, Christian" behavior for a girl and/or woman, and what was outside that boundary. The church told me not to be sexual, not to enjoy sex, not to seek out sex, not to display my sexual nature, not to entertain my sexual desires. The church taught me that I could aspire to no higher vocation for my life than to follow the path of sexless, life-long chastity, but that, if I simply had to succumb to the lures of SEX, a church-sanctioned marriage was the only way to do that and still be OK. Even then, the church emphasized that I was to engage in sex for one purpose only -- that of procreation. If I wasn't willing to become pregnant and bear children, I was taught that there was no justification for sex. It is a mean and nasty sort of theology.

Even outside the church, there were a myriad of messages about what it meant to step outside the sexual norms. It was common, in my adolescence, for girls who flirted with sex to be saddled with the perjorative labels which identified them as irretrievably fallen from grace: slut, whore, floozy, tramp, loose, cock tease... And I am old enough to remember friends who took the risks, found themselves pregnant, and were then "sent away" to bear their "shame" in secret.


So that was the background for my coming of age sexually -- the air we all breathed in the years of my childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood. I know that it is nominally a newer world where those judgements are less common or at least less vitriolic, but I believe that they are still there, although less overt. I certainly hear them in the language my students use -- even when they seem completely unaware of the implications of what they say to one another.

But there is more. Because we are not just talking about a little good old fashioned, roll-in-the-hay sex. We are talking about BDSM. We are thinking in terms of sadomasochism, bondage, Dominance and submission, discipline, humiliation, objectification, and a whole range of kinks. It is all so -- well, perverse. Isn't it? That question continues to be raised. The labels continue to be applied. Never mind that BDSM has been removed from the list of paraphilias listed in the DSM-V. A pretty cursory Internet search will turn up plenty of references that will lead one to question the state of one's mental stability -- "what the hell is wrong with me?! Why can't I just be normal." I know I've asked that question more than once.


And then there is the fact that what it is that we do can land one in all sorts of social trouble. People find themselves unemployed, arrested, in child custody battles. To come to be generally known as a BDSM practitioner can lead directly to the role of social parriah. It is the rare practitioner in the lifestyle that finds it possible to share much about their life with friends, family, co-workers, worship community, teachers at their child's school, or health care providers. There are those who, by whatever circumstance, are able to be "out" in varying degrees, but for many, following a lifestyle path, means spending a good part of one's life in disguise. That has its own crippling side-effects.

Too, for many of us there is the expectation that modern-day feminism places on us -- to be strong, to be independent, to take care of ourselves, to follow our own paths. I know. I am a feminist. I've fought the battles for years, and believe the foundational doctines of that religion: that women are different than men, but ought to be treated as political, social, and economic equals; that all men and women deserve equal access to the opportunities within our society; that no one ought to be relegated to the background on the basis of their gender... A strong femininst ethic can seem to stand at odds with a personal inclination toward submission and/or masochism. How do you fit those two together with any kind of integrity?



That's a heavy load, and it is, by no means, an exhaustive list. Many of us grapple, at some level, with a set of stories that bear a resemblance to that set of "notions." And, then, we turn up with a personal understanding of "who we are" that drives us into an exploration of lifestyle SM and D/s or M/s. Talk about cognitive dissonance! So what can be done, to wind through the thickets and find some sort of peace and personal comfort with who we are as sexual/erotic beings within that context?



Every person is going to have their own set of solutions and answers. Here are a few of mine:



1) Religion/spirituality -- I was already on a path of discovery in my spiritual life by the time I began to actively explore BDSM. I already knew that, for me at least, the set of beliefs that I'd been taught as a child did not work for me as an adult. That isn't always the case as people come into the lifestyle. So, one of the first steps to take, if personal faith is in conflict with sexual drives is to evaluate systematically and carefully. I believe it is helpful to honestly and openly ask questions:
  • What do I believe?
  • Why do I believe this?
  • Where did I acquire this belief?
  • Is there any reasonable, logical foundation to the things that I believe?
  • Have I ever "fact checked" any of the stories I was told as a child?
  • How would my life be different if I came to relinquish the belief system that I have held to from my youth?
  • What is the value of this belief system in my life?
  • Does my sense of who I am rest irretrievably on my adhering to this set of beliefs?

Next, I believe that it is necessary, when one chooses to practice BDSM, to make friends with the bodies we occupy. One of my favorite authors, Kathleen Norris, wrote in her book Dakota, about the importance of personal geography -- the value of a sense of personal rootedness. Just as coming to a sense of attachment and belonging to a place, I believe it is necessary to become attached to and rooted to our personal, physical selves. Our bodies are, for each and all of us, our ultimate and essential personal geography. We live nowhere except that we live in our own skins. We may not be able, for a variety of reasons, to be "out" to friends, family, co-workers, and the other inhabitants of our lives, but we simply must come "out" to ourselves. To find the contours and topography of our own sexual selves brings us into self-acceptance and a loving celebration of our own glory as part of the creation. Acknowledging the gifts we have been given, embracing the uniqueness of our sensual expression brings our hearts and minds and bodies into alignment with one another. None of that can change the way the outside world views us, but it can go a long way to making the words we tell to ourselves be affirming and positive.

The social stigma of what it is that we do is a reality and a fact. It is unfortunate. It is not fair or just. It can be dealt with and managed. It is important to make pro-active, self-determined decisions about what it is that we share with those who are not into the lifestyle. No one NEEDS to know about our interior lives. For some, it is healthy to be very open and honest about their internal lifestyle dynamics. Each one who can go openly into the world, educating and advocating, clears the path to a more open future for all of us. Still, it should be by choice and with care that we share who we are with those who might not understand. Know that such sharing can have benefits, but may also have real costs. Choose carefully what you share and with whom.

As for the political drumbeat of feminism. I sincerely believe it need not be a philosophy that lives in conflict with the choice to engage in personal power dynamics. Without personal power to lay on the table, the power exchange becomes pretty meaningless. There is nothing weak about choosing a path that deliberately explores the nature of power, how it might be balanced, and what it means to relinquish it. We choose to explore and live at the outer edges of the human sexual/erotic experience. It is a choice that requires great courage and personal strength.

The trick, through it all, is to come to this with awareness, personal integrity, courage, and openess. It is possible to live healthy, happy and whole in the midst of the lifestyle -- nevermind what the rest of all those people might say.

swan

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:38 AM

    Swan, WOW! I will be back when I have had time to process and make a more thoughtful comment, but for right now, just wanted to say, this was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My slave, I am so proud of you. Your intentional exchange of power with me, and your glorious ass, at times pale in comparison to how excited I become about your ability to express in words your brilliant introspection and analysis of your life. You are so exciting. (In proofing this it is interesting I choose to refer to your glorious ass as paling. Hmm....we shall have to address that unfortunate state of coloration.)

    Reading this wonderful piece, I was struck by many things, but two jumped out at me. One is the irony of the paradoxical juxtaposition of our prevailing social attitudes towards sex and marriage. If sex is the depraved, evil, ultimately sinful, perversion it is portrayed to be,then why would it be reserved exclusively for the purportedly most sacred and holy relationship we can enter into: marriage? It would seem more sensible that maybe it should only be engaged in with some untouchable cast of social periahs that we would never see, if at all. Of course there is the dilemma that it is only through this unspeakable act that we can get more of us......my how god must laugh at the dilemma he has posed for us all.

    I also found myself thinking again at the conrasts between domestic discipline and BDSM and what it is the drew me beyound DD's limited boundaries to the practice of BDSM. In doing this I am prattling about my choices and not in anyway wanting to crticize anyone else for their perspectives on their lives or practices.

    DD seems to me to maintain this underpinning value that sexuality, sensuality (particularly for those of us who are oriented to SM, spanking and the like)must only occur between one man and one woman within a monogamous relatinship preferably a marriage. It seeks to keep it secret, private, and not to be overly enjoyed or publically proclaimed. It maintains the illusion of its inherent sinfulness, or so it feels to me.

    BDSM "takes the wraps off." When I strip swan and bind her to a St. Andrew's Cross in a dungeon in community with hundres of others there with me, and flog and spank her while t hands me my requested implements and fends off marauding dungeon monitors, I (and we) are proclaiming, "Look! This is us! This is who we are at our deepest level! We are alive and we are good and our life force is strong and it is beautiful! We are bound together as a family by the intimate celebration of who we are for everyone to see and we are PROUD of who we are!

    In your post you write about the need to accept your own personal geography, your need to essentially "come out" to yourself, and accept yourself privately, in your own self-talk as a first step to self realization about all this. DD'ers seem to me to be at that step in their evolution, and many of them very determined that is as far as it will ever be "right" to go. It seems to me that is where perhaps the judgemental reaction that BDSM practitioners get sometimes in DD venues from "pure spankos." It has always interested me that I have never encountered a BDSM practitioner who made a judgement that DD was somehow "wrong." I have on numerous occasions encountered DD'ers who have very specifically declared BDSM wrong, evil, abusive, etc. In fact it was one of those skirmishs many years ago, in a website that was then the repository of online DD orthodoxy, that lead me to my Internet name, Raheretic, which I have born proudly since.

    Whatever we choose it is good that we evolve as we do whether DD is our end point, or simply an initial step in the evolution to accept and embrace lovingly who we are, and those whom we love.

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to react on Raheretic's comment,especially this part:

    "DD seems to me to maintain this underpinning value that sexuality, sensuality (particularly for those of us who are oriented to SM, spanking and the like)must only occur between one man and one woman within a monogamous relatinship preferably a marriage. It seeks to keep it secret, private, and not to be overly enjoyed or publically proclaimed. It maintains the illusion of its inherent sinfulness, or so it feels to me".

    I think you have been generalizing too much to do justice to every DD-relationship. Mine is different from your description for instance.

    However, I have read The Heron Clan for at least a year and found this post (and others) quite interesting. Thank you!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Sara on this. Great post, swan, and equally great comment, Raheretic. I need to digest both too.

    The only thing I can respond to right now is the title of the post. I gave up guilt several years ago - not just about spanking, but feeling guilt in general because that was the way I had been brought up - and have never looked back.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swan,

    Fantastic post. Many of these guilt issues I hadn't thought of for a long time. I love your description of our "personal geography". What a fantastic way to describe it, and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Swan,
    Wonderful post -as usual you have so much to share and I am so glad to hear that you are able to share it with many like myself who are finding their way.
    Another reason for the guilt, I think, is the wonderful freedom of this lifestyle. So many submissives are in control if not total control freaks in some areas of their lives, and find it so comforting to know someone else has control and they don't have to be in charge all the time any more. The sessions relieve pent up stress, and bring peace and comfort. The guilt comes because we know a good grownup stands on her own two feet, functions independently, and wouldn't need that. A healthy relationship means I wouldn't ask him to do that for me - I wouldn't need so much, ask so much... If we're lucky, we move beyond that stage except in our worse moments, but I do suspect I'm not the only one to feel that way sometimes.
    P.S. Since some of us are still new, and nervous, and feeling our way...thank you so much for still being a blog I can comment on as anon. Shared computer, no private e-mail, etc, but I so want to take part, and so few blogs are set up to let the new and nervous comment. I know there are very real reasons why, but still, I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *grins* I know my approval certainly doesn't hold much water compared to Tom's praise, but it really is a very helpful, insightful post swan and I'm sure its very helpful to others who are learning about their needs and beliefs.

    There is only one moment that still troubles me in this...as like Hermione, I gave up guilt about this a long while ago. For me, its the desire for approval from those I love and admire. I am deeply hurt when I sense judgment coming from the people in my circle who become aware of my choices.

    For me, that's centered in an old belief that I am unworthy. Its still a button that exists in me and it gets pushed when I loose approval about something like this. The stronger I get about my choices, the less that button can be pushed by anyone. But it takes time to achieve that inner confidence and belief in myself.

    So...this sense of self esteem and need for approval can be a part of the quotient that really has nothing to do with other social or religious beliefs. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hermione and Greenwoman -- I just wanted to respond to your comments about "guilt." I seem to have not been clear. I spend very little time feeling guilty. I think that while there are lots of emotions that are helpful and instructive, guilt is not in that category. Almost all of the time, guilt is an emotion that takes us nowhere useful. It is, in my view, a waste of psychic and emotional energy. The thing that set this line of thinking off for me was really the repeated experience of confronting that reaction in several people in our "circle" who are relatively new to the lifestyle. Over and over again, in the last few weeks, I've attempted to work through a process intended to help dissipate feelings of guilt for those folks.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swan and Raheretic will you please both get out of my head, it is not nice to listen to other peoples private conversations!!!

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:52 PM

    Swan,

    I have wanted to comment on this fine post! You have covered so many things but I will just pick a few.

    Yes, we all have asked ourselves "Why can't I just be normal". But just what is that? Most of us have a skewed version of normal, and what we really mean is non-conflicted. It is a fantasy, yes, imo, spurred on by the puritanism of our churches. Normal is simply being human, conflicted, searching, complicated and inherently and undeniably sexual. That IS normal!

    "I really believe that the most likely source of BDSM-related guilt is the connection between almost all of what constitutes BDSM and sex.

    I would agree. I was trained in Freudian theory, and am still a believer in what Freud called the Libido, which includes all life producing, and creative energies. Sex is just one aspect, but sexuality, libido, life force is pervasive, I believe. To consider any aspect of the human experience without considering some sexual drive being part of it is like talking about driving a car and deciding that depth perception should not be involved. We are human, complex and integrated beings. One cannot take us apart and decide that some piece of us has no place in our functioning at a specific time, because it is somehow not pure enough. Why and how can our sexuality not be a part of us? Can we make a decision to leave that piece behind when we engage in something spiritual, any more than we can decide to leave a limb? I think we just do not know ourselves well enough, deeply enough if we think that. And we believe the nursery tales of repressed parents who were taught by their repressed parents and the church. It is time to let that go!


    Raheretic, we have had a DD/BDSM discussion before. I want to make one comment to your comment.

    DD "seeks to keep it secret, private, and not to be overly enjoyed or publically proclaimed. It maintains the illusion of its inherent sinfulness, or so it feels to me."

    I think the public/private division is really one of personal choice and taste. For us the intensity, the eroticism and yes, the spiritual nature of our DD marriage, is enhanced by the privacy we maintain. We feel part of the power comes from it being exclusivelely between us. That meets our needs, and because it is just between us, we feel it is more special. Apparently sharing it publicly meets a need for you, and demonstrates and/or enhances the specialness of your connection. Whatever works. What appears the same on the surface, keeping private, does not always have the same source. Our choice is truly not due to shame.

    My Best, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara, I thought I was perhaps the last person in America who had not adopted operant conditioning as the the model that accounts for all human behavior, growth, and development. All I can say is I think your labidinal drives are countercathected between your id and your superego......No wait a minute! I think that may be my labidinal drives...hell, I don't know. Just remember that sometimes a cigar is in fact just a cigar:)

    Of course you find DD and more secluded expression of your initmacy (DD and otherwise) works well for your relationship, and I am sure that you know what it is that is best for you both. The wonderful thing is that you have found what works for you. What is even more speical is that having found that, you are open to others who find variations of that dynamic working for them, without becoming judgmental. That is a wonderful attribute which is all too rare.

    Thank you for your continued thoughtful input here and your friendship.

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:21 PM

    Tom, Geesh, you are just such a showoff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swan,
    When I originally read this, I had just started a similar thread. I was trying to work through some of my own issues. Your words helped immensely. Thank you for your permission to link and quote you. My post is now up. http://alicedownarabbithole.blogspot.com/2008/06/fears.html
    Alice

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.