Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/09/2013

Books

I never would have guessed that inviting questions would spark my mind into such a chatty frame of mind, but it seems to have worked that way.  I am enjoying thinking about all of your questions, and then trying to answer them.  So, here's the next one:

weirdgirl wrote

swan, you are always so eloquent and have such a wonderful grasp of language, I am curious to know which books (if any) you consider inspirational in terms of your education (both personal and professional)

I read lots.  My reading interests are pretty eclectic.  I tend toward non-fiction.  When I first read this question, my mind went a dozen different directions at once...  books I loved as a child and a teenager,  books I've loved as an adult (the ones I've carried around with me throughout my life), books that I find really interesting and full of thoughtful and thought provoking material.  I'm not sure most of these would be considered to be inspirational, and maybe many of them are just things I like for whatever reason.  But here goes -- the list:

Rose in Bloom, Louisa May Alcott
Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs
Pavillion of Women, Pearl Buck
Mrs. Mike, Benedict and Nancy Mars Freedman
The Prophet, Kahlil Gibran
The Aquarian Conspiracy, Marilyn Ferguson
Reincarnation:  The Phoenix Fire Mystery, Sylvia Cranston
Bridge Across Forever and One, Richard Bach
High Tide in Tucson, Barbara Kingsolver
Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now, Maya Angelou
Math Doesn't Suck, and Kiss My Math, Danica McKellar
Spiritual Literacy, Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat
Slavecraft and Ties That Bind, Guy Baldwin and a Grateful Slave
Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions, Gloria Steinhem
Women Who Run With the Wolves, Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Cloister Walk, Kathleen Norris
The Geranium on The Windowsill just Died But Teacher You Went Right On, Albert Cullum
Incognito, The Secret Lives of the Brain, David Eagleman

Is that list weird enough?  That's not everything...  That's a fair selection.

swan

3 comments:

  1. Oh, math books. That's fun. And necessary at my house.

    I'll probably go look at lots of these, because I love book recommendations.

    And I love that you started with Louisa May Alcott. I think that's the only book on your list that I've read btw. I've read lots of the authors, but none of those books except Rose in Bloom.

    So thanks,
    sin (who loves to read, eclectically)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised when I read your list, I read many books and there is only one book I have even heard of, and that is the Prophet, which I have read.

    I like classical fiction, my favourites being War and Peace and Doctor Zhivago. My copy of this last is about worn out from re-reading.

    I do have other authors in common with you though, Richard Bach (Running from Safety +), L M Alcott (Little Women +), Pearl Buck (The Good Earth).

    ReplyDelete
  3. weirdgirl10:22 PM

    Thanks for answering that, swan - and what an eclectic list! ;)

    I've read a few of those myself (the Clarissa Pinkola Estes, the Steinem, and the Gibran) and i'll definitely be looking up some of the others. Like Sin, I always appreciate book recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.