Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/11/2006

Why Would you Choose This Life?


We've been "mentoring" a couple who are newly exploring their interest in D/s together. Recently, the woman asked me:

"why have you personally chosen the M/s relationship? You seem like such an incredibly strong woman and I guess I'm having trouble picturing you in this kind of relationship"

I wonder how many of us, who live this, have been asked the same question, or have (at a minimum) had outsiders look at us and ask themselves the same thing? I think it is a paradox that makes perfect sense to those of us who live at the center of this life, and is practically incomprehensible to someone looking in from the outside.

At any rate, here are some thoughts:

I am strong.

I am physically strong. For all my various "female issues" in the last couple of years, I am essentially healthy and well. Although I am a lifelong migraine sufferer, I have no serious, chronic health issues, and generally, my headaches are well controlled with medication. We still often joke that the "swan" designation evolved as a softer, more feminine alternative to "Arnold" -- which was what I laughingly figured I'd end up named because He so often commented that I was a big, tall, strong girl... He doesn't dominate me on a physical level because I am "incapable" of putting up a fight if I were inclined to do so. I am also reasonably attractive. While not a young woman, I am not in bad shape for all of my 51 years. I got blessed with "good genes," and that tall, strong frame, and "good bones" let me get away with the mini-skirts and biker boots that many of my contemporaries cannot contemplate.

I am emotionally strong. I am an adult who grew up in a home where the parenting was, at best, distant, and at worst, neglectful ranging to abusive. That said, I've largely confronted and conquered those demons and built a good life of my own. I made some unfortunate choices, very early on, that made for a disappointing marriage. Oh well. I made the best I could of that business. Along the way, I raised a child with some significant mental health and developmental needs in an environment where there were very few systemic or social supports. I took my own unique (and socially unacceptable) needs and put them on hold, and focused on "surviving." With all of that, I never lost the ability to care deeply, to remain open, to notice, to find joy, to be alive in the world. I am a "feeler."

I am intellectually strong. I teach. I teach middle school mathematics, science, social studies, and computer technology. And I'm good. Someone once said that middle school teachers are the "Green Beret" of the teaching profession. Personally, I would defer to the kindergarten teachers on that one, but that's just me... At any rate, I teach because I love it. I left (actually, escaped) a long professional career in the Oil and Gas industry, (where I was earning a significant salary playing with the BIG BOYS) to pursue a vocation that contributed something. I push and pull, cajole and seduce, beguile and bewitch my charges into participating in the learning process so that they construct meanting, dig deeper, explore further, question more widely, and come to command the content beyond the "answers" on the tests. I use all my education, all my experience, all my intuition, all my creativity, everyday, and there are very few days when I don't learn something new and interesting. Along with my own challenging work, I am actively involved in the demanding and rewarding advocacy work that Master does in the disability field. In spite of a natural and inherent shyness, I can hold my own in just about any public setting.

I am spiritually strong. I seek and find the creative divine in many places. Having spent much of my childhood, youth, and young adulthood in various houses of institutional religious organzations, I have grown to be a spiritual backpacker, choosing to carry with me only those beliefs and values which I find most personally resonant and necessary for my own journeying. If pressed, I tend, generally to fall back to my time with Friends as the "most true" of my religious homes. I also find that I have taken much from time spent with those Lakota Sioux and Blackfoot teachers that I have been fortunate to know. I am, usually, a respector of the beliefs and traditions of others, although I am often bemused by the rancor, vitriol, and exuberance that can be whipped up in the defense of "religion."

I am also, left to my own devices, a "control freak." I have "control issues." My adult children will tell you. My ex-husband will tell you. My students will tell you. T will tell you. Master will tell you. I am linear, detail oriented, anal retentive, and probably compulsive. If we are in the car, my preference would be to be driving. If we were to dance, I'd try to lead... You get the picture... My observation and experience is that there are more than just a few dumbbells in the world, and way too many of them are in charge of things of which they have no business touching in the first place. I have very little patience for ignorant people. Relationally, if someone is inclined to let me control things, I will tend to do that.

I have personal history and personal accomplishment. I have lived a life; done things of which I am proud; seen things which have amazed me, amused me, terrified me, enraged me, caused me to weep. I have struggled and perservered. Sometimes I've won the battles I've waged. Sometimes not. I know, as much as it is possible to know at this stage of the game, who I am.

And that is the key -- I have come to know, and accept, finally, who I am. I am a woman who is strong, but paradoxically, deeply submissive. When I am most intimately attached to someone who is worthy of the challenge, and who has my trust, I am calm and content when I can relinquish the control into His hands. Further, I am masochistic in my sexual/erotic orientation. While that drive is not "easy or pretty," and while I often struggle with it and fear it, if it goes unanswered for very long, it begins to boil over, and enflame my dreams and imaginings.

This is what I bring to the table when it comes to the practice of "power exchange." This is the "power" which is mine. I am powerful in my own right, and I know it. I begin from that position, and I understand that I can, absolutely, take care of myself quite well -- have done so before, and could do so again if it came down to it. That, I believe, needs to be clear -- this is not something I do out of desperation, brokeness, or a lack of other options. It is a choice that I make entirely of my own volition, freely, and with joy.

The question assumes that "a strong woman" would never "allow" anyone to exert control over her as I do, and that therefore there must be some weakness in me that is not readily discernible that makes our power exchange "explainable. How could anyone "willingly" accede to the kinds of limits and demands that are placed on me within our relationship?

It is a paradox that is simply beyond the ability of this woman to encompass...

One definition of the word paradox is -- A tenet or proposition contrary to received opinion; an assertion or sentiment seemingly contradictory, or opposed to common sense; that which in appearance or terms is absurd, but yet may be true in fact.

That's the core of it, really. What seems so absurd is simply true: my years of being "in control," and "in charge" of everything were forced on me by the contingencies of my life: I had nobody that I could trust to hand the control over to, and so I depended on my own, not inconsiderable, strength. All relationships have power dynamics, and the ones that I lived in during those years required that I dominate the situations. I did that, and I was very good. I was also continually sick and exhausted. I never, ever rested or relaxed fully for a single moment that I can recall... The submissive part of me remained hidden and sheltered through that part of my life because it would have been disastrous to have put my life (or those of my children) into the hands of a partner who was incapable of managing his own life let alone mine.

They were not wasted years, however. I learned. I grew. I followed the path that brought me to this place. I got ready to lay my power down at the feet of One who would take it up with care and respect and honor.

Power exchange is the deliberate and conscious creation of inequity in the relationship dynamic. Most (if not all) relationships are inequitable to a degree. Those that deliberately fiddle with the power balance acknowledge this reality, and then manipulate the balance point to accomplish specific energy objectives.

For us, that means that He holds the control. Generally, that hold is fairly light, but it can shift and tighten at any moment. I find that I must remain attentive and be prepared to adjust as His needs and moods require. Usually, I can sense what is called for. Sometimes I miss the cues. He corrects. I am not alwasy easy. He remains undaunted.

I do this because it is who I am. I do this because it answers to a deep need in me. I do this because it calms me; completes me; settles me; thrills me; takes me to the center of my self; connects me to Him; lets me feel safe and sane; brings me home; turns me on; makes me laugh; makes me cry; opens me up; transforms me; is me... I do it because it pleases Him; pleases me. We are this way together, most naturally. It is a pattern that simply works for the two of us. He IS Dominant, and I do not have to think about being submissive with Him -- the responses are entirely reflexive. His expectations create the environment that draw the submissive out of my nature. We relax together this way, and when we cannot BE like this together (because the social setting demands a different mode), we must remain continually vigilant to not slip into the comfort of our M/s pattern with one another.

We are a good match. I suspect that many would have found me way too cheeky, way too bold, way too much of a handfull. I am lucky to have found the kind of Man who can track me down through the trails of my meandering mind, tame my restless spirit, and harness my body to His desires. In the end I choose this life because He chose me -- commanded me, and left no room for me to question. It was that "no room for doubt" sound that I had craved for so awfully long that settled the issue I suspect.

It is not a story that makes sense for everyone -- or probably for anyone but me, for us. It is the long way around to answer a question that most likely wanted something much simpler. Who knows if the answer is even in there anywhere?

swan

13 comments:

  1. as always swan.. well written and very insightful..... and i must admit to seeing a bit of myself in your description...... (mind you i cringe at the very thought of middle school kiddies.. give me kindergarten any day!!)

    and yes.. even my search for Sir was a long one.. because i am known as the "uppity" sub.. far too stubborn and willful to be trainable.. or something like.. it just took someone stronger to tame me and claim me as His......

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly the thing. Those outside of D/s can't begin to understand the incredible strength it takes to be submissive. And, while people can see the "strength" of a Dominant, they similarly don't understand the kind of strength a good Dominant needs to have. Explain as one might, there's just no really understanding it until one's experienced it.

    Great post. All the best to you. --L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:08 PM

    Swan, it is so nice to read another "older" slave. I am 48 and sometimes I feel so old when I read the blogs of other slaves.

    When I wrote something in a comment recently about it taking me 25 years to finally find the man that I could call Master, I was asked (rather incredulously) by another slave "how old are you?"

    Thank you for putting so well what I feel about my own submission:

    "I do this because it is who I am. I do this because it answers to a deep need in me. I do this because it calms me; completes me; settles me; thrills me; takes me to the center of my self; connects me to Him; lets me feel safe and sane; brings me home; turns me on; makes me laugh; makes me cry; opens me up; transforms me; is me... I do it because it pleases Him; pleases me."

    Master Pepe's angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. swan, I am always touched by your being who you are with me, and my being able to be who I am in relation to you. It is the light of my life in conjunction with my love for your sister wife.

    My undergraduate study was in English, and when I had elective choices in class selection I generally chose literature. I was most impressed with the work of Coleridge. His "Kubla Kahn" is universally critically acclaimed to be the greatest work of English literature. In a treatise Coleridge wrote about "Kubla Kahn" and other of his writing, Coleridge posited that, "the essence of all true creativity is the reconciliation of opposites." This could be paraphrased that the essence of all true creativity is the resolution of paradox.

    Think of all the situations in life that we find to be acts or expressions of creation: birth.......coming from non-existence to existence (or does that really occur at conception...not going there today); death going from life to not alive (whether you ascribe to live after death or not, in either case assuredly this represents the reconciliation of opposite states of being); poetry.....the merger of linear Aristotelian logical paradigm based prose with subjectivity and emotion, the concept that God would choose to demonstrate his omnipotence by becoming incarnate, and that by being put to death He would vanquish death (you're going to like that one Jack...you see for the sake of argument I'm going to pretend there is some validity to orthodox Christianity...I'm such an intellectual slut when presenting my point of view:); and of course my favorite, sadomasochism....the enjoyment of the suffering of a loved one partnered with the enjoyment of suffering inflicted by one’s lover.

    Power exchange and sadomasochism are huge expressions of the creation of love and life experienced when two people each resolve a number of paradoxes. Swan releases her huge competence and strength to my Control. My innately Dominant personality is fulfilled by her slavery. I enjoy causing swan pain. She is the person in my life I least want to see ever hurt...unless of course I am spanking or whipping her. Swan hates being hurt. Pain is as aversive to her as it is to anyone. But when I give her painful spankings, blisterings, whippings, she derives huge satisfaction, excitement, connection, and love...as do I.

    How does a strong, beautiful, competent, highly intelligent woman become my slave? She becomes that because she possesses all of those attributes, and she employs them to have an ultimate expression of creativity in her and my life and our love.

    I love you my sweet slave.

    Mine always and always.

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:19 PM

    I am sure that this not going to go down well and will start a storm ..... but Jack's comment made me feel so incredibly sad for him and immensly compasionate.
    How unbelievably lonely to live in a word where your expectation is that giving yourSelf would inevitably end in destruction/harm/hurt of some kind.
    If I felt that level of fatalism I would be very empty indeed, I'm sure.
    I hope Jack finds a partner (other than his God) who proves him wrong.

    Littoral

    ReplyDelete
  7. morningstar -- I don't know that I'd see myself as "uppity," although I suppose some might use that term...

    I think the reality is that there are very few actual Dominants out there, and certainly not many that are sure enough of their own way to be willing to take on someone with will and wit and depth. I can't imagine giving the control of my life over to someone who didn't have the steel or fire to match me -- why would I? Why would you?

    I'd far rather go it alone than pretend with some dim-witted pretender. Thank you very much.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  8. lenora -- Welcome to our place. You are right when you speak of the strength needed on both sides of the power exchange. Real Dominance is not found in the swagger or the bluster, but in the quiet, certain surety that carries and anchors the whole business from day to day and minute to minute. T is prone to say that the submissive is the "heart," and that is likely true, but the Dominant is the strength of the relationship -- the musculature and skeletal frame that holds everything up and makes it move; without that power, nothing at all can happen.

    I know, from personal experience, how impossible it is for a power exchange relationship to go without a Dominant partner willing to invest great energy and personal strength in making that happen.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  9. angel -- nice to "meet" you. I understand that feeling that comes from being one of the few "older" writers in this arena... It is hard when it seems that everyone is younger than you by 20 years. Oh well! Let them watch and learn!

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  10. jack -- your concern does "seep" through, and I accept and value it as a manifestation of your friendship. Thank you. The fact that our cosmologies/religious views do not match up does not lessen my simple pleasure in your affection. I simply do not "get" the personified "God" that so worries you, nor do I have any sense that my "soul" is in any danger at all. In fact, my soul feels mostly serene and comfortable. I am sure that I am participating in the creation, and that my prayers are somehow evolutionary in nature. I've quit trying to explain or justify that view to other folks. It just doesn't seem important to me to do that anymore. It has become enough for me.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having been around this lifestyle for MANY a year ...nods to angel.. I have always felt that a woman is never so strong as when she bends before her Master. Note that I said "bend". A slave will bend. A Master will take them places where they will soar. A Master does not "break" a Slave.

    I have lived within this household for over 4 years. We are a healthy, strong, generous, and loving family. And our "souls" see to be just fine, Jack. Thanks, for checking!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  12. Littoral -- no need to take up the battle on my behalf. The "giving of myself" was nothing harmful at all, in spite of the fact that it does worry my old friend. The truth is that, on the day that Master made the cutting that marked me as His, He says it was as if His hand and the knife were guided to manifest in my flesh marks that already existed in my soul. He believes that, wherever we might find ourselves in other lifetimes beyond this, He will know me by those selfsame marks... There can be no "giving" if there has always been "belonging" then -- can there?

    Don't fuss. Fear is always prone to bring people to behave oddly. I'm not afraid. It is alright.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  13. swan, as always, you seem to be able to put the intangible into words, very eloquently too. If I'm ever asked why or how I can be a slave I'm just going to point to your post here. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.