Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/01/2006

Dragons

Explorers of long ago, venturing out into a world that none of them had any understanding of at all, KNEW they were leaving everything that was safe and secure and comprehensible, in an everyday sense, behind. At the very edges of some of the maps they drew, with such elaborate and fanciful care, we sometimes find the statement lettered that describes the uncertainty that they faced:

"HERE THERE BE DRAGONS"

I have long thought that somehow, someway, we ought to post similar warnings at the entry points to "THE LIFESTYLE." It just seems to me that it is far too attractive and far too easy for starry-eyed newbies to come rushing along with their heads full of foolish fantasies and silly dreams -- and fall right off the edge of the world; and the pure fact is that too often, we who know better let them do it! Shameful.

Master likes finding newbies and then bringing them along into their first experiences and first beginning awareness of "who they are" in THE LIFE. He gets a great kick out of all that wide-eyed breathlessness.

I suppose I ought to be glad of that since, once upon a time, I was one of those wide-eyed, breathless ones. Sort of...

Except that very quickly, I had the great good fortune to run into a few good people who spoke simple blunt truths to me. Things like:

"What we do isn't safe."

"Submissives submit."

"Your husband isn't a dominant. Someday a dominant will find you and you will go with Him..."

I will forever be grateful for that earth-bound, grounded, "put the breaks on the headlong rush" wisdom that was gifted to me in my early days. I wasn't always happy to hear it. Like so many who think they've finally found the "Emerald City" of their long-held fantasies, I was all a-flutter over the sudden wealth of possibilities laid out before me. That's a heady thing in the beginning, but the reality is that real life is not fantasy.

There are risks. There are edges that cannot be clearly seen at the outset. There are potential outcomes that cannot be reliably predicted. One can, and should evaluate and negotiate with care. Still, beyond a certain degree of reasonable diligence and sensible caution, there comes a point when the adventure takes us beyond the safety of the known into uncharted territory...

HERE THERE BE DRAGONS!

swan

3 comments:

  1. I read this and thought about it a long time.

    I agree. We do not do enough with those that rush headlong into this realm.

    I am still mulling this over. Thoughts too jumbled right now to respond well.

    Thanks for making me think.

    - Enigma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when I first fell upon BDSM I thought I found "HEAVEN".... Then I came across the first creep who said the only way to prove my online submission was to take a nail file to my nipples and then apply nail polish to the abraided skin so I would be reminded of his dominance daily. Hum...my first thought was that I would be reminded of my stupidity every second of ever day it took for the infection to heal. We all learn. Yes, there be dragons.... and there be dummies, as well. BDSM, is as life, you have to use the brain & common sense you were given.

    T, who is going back to her percocet haze...yea, baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. And trip wires and mines!!!
    Good post swan and needed.
    Hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.