Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/30/2008

What's in a Name?

I haven't always been "swan." Actually my swan moniker came about in response to a moment of lighthearted teasing that happened between Master, T, and I many years ago.

I don't remember the exact details anymore. It is probably sufficient that I'd been doing something around the house that required a degree of brute force and muscling. I'm a tall one, and capable of being fairly physically strong. I might have been moving furniture, or lifting something up onto a shelf, or repairing something around the house... Whatever it was, Master, upon hearing about my exploits, exclaimed, "That's my big, strong, German girl!"


Given that descriptor, I quipped that maybe I'd just change my name to "Ahhhnold."


T and I giggled at the joke, and at Master's obvious chagrin at the prospect. He thought for just a moment and then restated the situation:


"You are nothing like Arnold Schwarzenneger. You are my tall, beautiful swan." And so it is that I've remained "swan" ever since.


I was remembering my Ahhhnold incarnation yesterday as I worked to prepare the house for having the carpets cleaned today.


My condo has some issues related to a fire that occured in the building just a few weeks after we moved in here years ago. The condo that belongs to Master and T was close enough to the unit where the fire occured that they sustained significant smoke damage. Insurance paid to have their place completely cleaned -- ducts, carpets, upholstery, clothing -- the whole business. On the other hand, the adjustors insisted that there was no need for any of that in my place (one unit further from the fire, although in the same building). Over the years, it has become clear that that assessment was simply wrong. There is black soot at the edge of all my carpeting and a nasty, sooty black discharge from every heat vent. Finally, after battling the problem for over five years, we decided that there was no option but to have the ducts and carpets cleaned professionally. Today is the day. Which means that yesterday was spent moving EVERYTHING out of here to the garage so that the carpet cleaners can have a clear shot at the project. EVERYTHING! Chairs, benches, tables, exercise gear, electronics, the entertainment center -- it is all stacked in the garage, filling the space entirely. There is practically nothing left inside the house.


Clearly, the Ahhhnold side of me is still there, waiting to be called forth when the need arises. That isn't a bad thing after all.


swan

4 comments:

  1. Ugh! That's more annoying than moving...

    Its a great story about how you got your name...I really enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swan, quite astute of Tom, Swans are beautiful gentle birds, but can be dangerous when roused.
    I suspect the same might be said of you.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that your home is now cleaned and back in order.

    What a beautiful name for a beautiful person.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Alice, I am determined to paint while the place is mostly empty, so we are "living" at survival level while I scramble around to get things painted.

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.