Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/17/2008

Why is that?

Each day, He looks at our statistics, and gives me the "news" about how we did the day before.

Lately, it seems that in a typical week we'll have at least 2 or 3 days when our readership is down significantly from what we have become accustomed to.

"What do you think that's all about?" Sometimes implicit; sometimes explicit -- that's the question that He seems to want me to answer somehow.

I don't know exactly. I have lots of theories:


  • It is summertime. People have lots of other things to do besides hang out and read blogs.

  • Maybe we've run out of things to say that actually matter.

  • There is Fetlife, and maybe a whole bunch of other on-line communities. Maybe the day of the blog has passed. Maybe people are choosing to invest their time elsewhere.

  • Maybe we've just finally hit the threshold of boring-ness that has driven all but the most committed folks off for good.

  • Maybe we haven't posted a butt picture in a good long while.

  • Maybe I've come to a place where I filter and edit so much that the words lose their ability to provoke any sort of response.

  • Maybe we haven't had a good, old-fashioned, OMG what a mess - style crisis recently.

  • Maybe I've just lost the touch (or the sound) that causes people to want to spend time here.
I'm not a readership junkie. I don't have the inclinations or skills to write the sort of hot, provocative entries that drag people in and make them hungry for more. I don't write fiction, and I don't embellish facts. I laid my soul bare here so long ago that there's almost no one out there who hasn't seen it naked a thousand times already.

The truth is that most of what we write here is about our lives, and most of what goes on in our lives is pretty ordinary (if you don't count the fact that there are three of us). We work, and fix an evening meal, and eat and clean up, and watch a bit of television, and head to bed -- so we can get up and do it all again the next day.

We usually "play" on Saturday morning; if nothing interferes. It is pretty routine, and not something that generates much verbiage here because I'm betting that hardly anyone wants to hear that "paddle, strap, cane" refrain every single week. We don't go to play parties, because there's no place in our community where that is a viable reality for us. We haven't traveled to any major events in awhile because of schedules, and cost, and timing. So, we've effectively dropped completely out of the public scene. We are "poly" in the most stable sense of that word. We don't have a gazillion partners, webbed in all sorts of fantastic and complicated ways. There are three of us, basically. Sometimes, there's the hint of another partner for Himself. We've been all around all the various emotions that creates, and maybe come to some sort of level place with it. No real way of telling until one of them actually shows up.

We're probably just "old." We think we've got experience that is valuable and wisdom gained over years of living through it all, but I suspect that we value all that "wisdom and experience" way more than the majority of folks who are decades younger ever will.

There are connections that have been made along the years here. There are people who have come to feel like a part of our family in various ways. The need to reach out and create some sense of community has been met in this place. I'm content with that; glad for the ones who stop by now and again, and perhaps leave a word or two when something captures their imaginations. This is, ultimately, a journal -- not private obviously, but still largely written for in-house consumption. I think it is pretty amazing that anyone reads here at all.

So, I really don't have an answer to the "what's happening to our statistics?" question. I'd explain it if I could. But, since I never knew what caused the readership to grow, I have no idea what might be causing it to decline. And, if I did know, I really wonder what having that information would change in terms of how this story gets told... If it really was about the regular posting of "butt" pictures, would I then calculate that it was important to put my ass on display in the interest of driving the numbers up? Hard to imagine; especially since I hardly ever get any comments on "butt" pictures. What's to say? Or maybe it really is that I need to have a full on emotional melt-down and screaming hissy fit every now and then. Sigh. Even I find that tiresome. But those are things that are, at least on the face of it, doable. Those things are things that are within reach. If it really is true that the numbers have dropped off because it is summertime, or because Fetlife has drained people's energies and forced them to make a change in focus, there's not a thing to be done about that. It is what it is.

swan

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (ugh sorry for the delete - should proof read before i hit publish)


    first off swan - you gotta stop doing this to me..

    i pop in here (first coffee of the day in hand) and find a) it doesn't look like the Heron Clan site... and b) you have posted twice in ONE day??? geeez louise girl.. i thought i had made a wrong turn somewhere and landed up at some other Heron Clan site.. LOL

    As for the stats.. over the years that i have had The Journey.. i have noticed that Monday's are always really high attendance - i am guessing that most want to hear the gory details of the weekend...AND Monday can be such a boring day.....
    By Wednesday the numbers are leveling off and come Saturday Sunday i have almost no hits......

    i have also come to realize that when i paint graphic pictures of what goes on.. or (which i don't get at all !!) write a silly fairy tale about spankings or have an online meltdown about one thing or another.. my numbers jump hugely - how do they know what i have written about BEFORE they get there???

    BUT like you .. i mostly write for me.. i don't write for the masses - funny thing is .. on the Fictional Journey - where i write my most explicit stuff.. i hardly if ever get any hits - which makes me believe they are looking for fact not fiction.. shrug...

    i have rambled enough... keep on keeping on swan.. cause i for one am here every day to check in and see what is a happening at the Heron Clan......

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Littleone, that was my first thought too. Is this the right Heron Clan?

    I like the new look, swan.

    Maybe one reason the stats are down is because of readers and RSS feeds. I read everything you write, via a reader, but unless I comment, my reading doesn't add to the total number of hits. So mea culpa!

    Have you ever told your readers why you are called The Heron Clan? If you have, I guess I missed it.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    P.S. Too bad about the cane. For both the cane and you. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Morningstar and Hermione -- sorry if the new look caused distress. Blame it on summertime and my sense of being bored half to death. I'm worse than any kid, by the time the summer break has gotten to its mid-point, I am wondering what there is to do!

    I'm not sure what we've ever said about the genesis of the heron clan moniker. I'll try and tell the story soon -- one way or the other.

    At any rate, glad to see you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Swan, I don't comment unless something hits me, but read regularly. Why, because you have intelligent, honest, and thought provoking things to say. Personally, I skip over the butt pics. I am much more interested in what's on your mind. Maybe that is because I am 'old' too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. I went looking and found the story of why we call ourselves "The Heron Clan." The first mention of it that I can find is on Swan's Heart, back in April, 2005. Here's the link:

    http://theswansheart.blogspot.com/2005/04/blue-heron-totem.html

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing that link with us, swan. It was lovely.

    When we used to drive to work together, we would pass a place where herons often fed. We would each try to be the first to see one and shout "Heron!". The most we ever saw on a single drive-by was four. I still watch for them, and whisper "Heron!" to myself if I see one.

    Although when one comes to snack on the fish in our pond, we shout something else entirely!

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:40 PM

    Ah, swan, i only recently found your site, and of course, i hit it regularly. As for comments, i rarely comment on any site, so you are in good company.

    Although i am a bit of a voyeur, i don't NEED butt pics to enjoy your posts. So, as far as i am concerned (granted that is a very limited group), please continue to post the stories of your life & the occasional butt pic! lol

    Perhaps 'He' is a little too focused on stats, but then, He is allowed to focus? lol

    Hope your weekend is cooler than mine! Sir's pet

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll join the fan club and read most days except the summer holidays when I am busy trying to lose my kids!!

    Hil

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.