Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/13/2007

Resilience

I have, for probably at least a couple of years, had fragile skin that seemed to break and bleed under the least bit of trauma. There just was seemingly no elasticity left. No flex. No give.

This is a difficult circumstance if a significant part of the way that your sexual/erotic orientation is expressed is through SM impact play. We engage in a whole range of activities that put the skin on my lovely backside under stress. It needs to bend and stretch and then bounce right back.

I've invested a fortune in lotions and potions. We've applied bandaids by the carton. I've ingested vitamins and minerals and herbs of all sorts and descriptions. We've spanked through clothing. We've avoided what we considered the most delicate and vulnerable spots. Until about a month ago, no matter what I did, or what He did, every session seemed to end up with blood splattered and smeared everywhere. The bleeding hasn't stopped our play, but it has been a matter of concern. It has seemed to indicate a level of damage that simply would not heal or recover -- not with treatment, not with supplementation, not with rest.

Then, there was the awful and, for us, powerful break and reset that took place a few weeks ago. That event, difficult and painful as it was, seemed to be a point of healing for He and I at many different levels. One interesting thing, coming out of that has been, that I no longer break and bleed during sessions. Not at all. Fascinating.

If you go look up the dictionary definition of "resilience," you will find that it has two meanings that end up looking something like this:
  • The ability to recover quickly from illness, change, or misfortune; buoyancy.
  • The property of a material that enables it to resume its original shape or position after being bent, stretched, or compressed; elasticity.
I find that those two definitions, together are interesting in my case.

I think that the lack of elasticitiy in my skin these last couple of years was a physical manifestation of my declining emotional resiliency. I know that sounds like voodoo or new age mystical nonsense, but there it is. As we went from crisis to crisis, the traumas piled up and the space needed to fully recover just never was there: surgery --mine and His, extreme and protracted female problems, job loss, and job politics, and the advent of the poly energy vampire. Somewhere along the line, I got angry and lost my sense of joy and buoyancy. Where there had been a single damaged place, the artifact of the early days paddling regimen, suddenly there was not a single place that you could hit me that didn't break, split, ooze and bleed at the slightest provocation.

And then, the anger was finally fully expressed. Finally fully embraced. Finally exhausted. Finally absolved. Finally released. And now -- the brokeness is gone.

We are whole beings, bodies, minds, hearts, spirits. What is felt in one part will be seen and shown in the others. We cannot separate the parts and pieces. Cannot compartmentalize who we are and isolate the bits. Wellness and health will express itself throughout the whole person. So, too, distress, anger, fear -- all of these will show up in large and small ways throughout the entire person.

swan

2 comments:

  1. The body is a fascinating thing you know :)

    I can attest to this in a number of ways, I hope you won't mind that I share my experiences a little.

    I have suffered from mild to quite serious insomnia for a great deal of my life. There was a stretch of four or five years where three hours of sleep was 'a good night'. I took some pretty serious sleeping pills in high school, as perscribed by my doc, just so I could function in classes.

    In January I went through an intensive personal development seminar that lasted five days. When I got home (it was a retreat away from my city) the very FIRST thing that Jack noticed was how my sleeping pattern had changed. I fell asleep almost instantly, rather than tossing and turning and sometimes getting up. At first I chalked it up to emotional exhaustion, but it hasn't changed all these months later. It may not sound remarkable to most people, but to me it's next to a miracle.

    Another instance I can chalk up to some of my recent personal growth is the settling down of my intestines. I have suffered on and off from strange abdominal pains that neither ultrasounds or my doctor could ever understand. I've been tested for appendix problems, ovarian cysts, uterine issues, colon troubles (it runs in my family) and I can't think of what else. The pain seems to have gradually vanished over this last little while, and I can only attribute it to me refusing to hold any negativity in my body.

    Like you, I figure that sounds really 'out there' and odd, but to me it's real, and I am just grateful.

    This post made me smile with happiness for you.

    *Hugs*
    Shasta

    P.S. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. swan, good for you, the mind/body interface is a wonderful thing.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.