Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/06/2006

Meter Stick


When you close a school, there is just a whole lot of stuff -- the kind of equipment and mess that accumulates in the business of teaching children to DO things. I've taught mathematics and science and social studies for years now, and so, sitting in the corner of my classroom, there was this prodigious collection of meter sticks and yard sticks. Most of them will travel all neatly bundled to my new school to continue life in another classroom, where other students will use them to measure assorted bits and pieces of their world (and more than likely conduct unauthorized mock battles whenever they believe they can get away with it).

However, one night a few weeks ago, as I was agitating away about all that needed doing to make this all occur, and ticking away my fussy little lists of things to do, I happened to mention the meter sticks... Instantly, Master latched onto the notion, like a dog with a bone, and insisted that He needed to have some meter sticks. I knew in that instant that I'd made a tactical error, but the die was cast. So, yesterday, as I packed and sorted and bundled and cleaned, I selected two suitable and sturdy meter sticks, and brought them home to Him.

He was thrilled, and immediately and enthusiastically applied the beastly things to my backside. Somewhere between a cane and a paddle is the realm of the meter stick. They have the whippiness of a cane with more heft and EDGES! I was sure it was cutting me with every stroke (it wasn't -- didn't). It just made me want to shriek, and was even worse because in my head was the knowledge that I'd brought it home myself. Nevermind that I had no real choice; the fact that I'd carried it home with my own hands made me furious.

And the meter stick is humiliating. Not a smoothly crafted, professionally made implement meant for spanking, but a simple measuring stick, dragged from my classroom hours before, and now sitting rudely in the corner of the bedroom for the sole purpose of inflicting pain on me. What was I thinking? Not thinking. Just obeying. Doing as I was told. Because I was told.

And there it sits. In broad daylight today. And there will undoubtably be meter sticks in my classrooms. Will they ever again look the same to me?

swan

6 comments:

  1. swan...... between your meter sticks and my clips !! i can't stop laughing..........

    and trust me .. no those meter sticks sitting in the corner of next year's class will NOT look the same....... anymore than my cips looked the same today when i clamped pages and pages of budget together.... LOL

    (ugh that won't make any sense if you didn't get around to my blog and perverting paper clamps from school on Friday......)

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:55 PM

    Your post brought a childhood memory of my mother flooding back in my mind.

    Sixty years ago (back when meters had yet to come into fashion in polite society) my (far less than sainted) mother had a yard stick. She loved this yardstick. I assume she must have used it to measure cloth or some other arcane feminine thing.

    She also used it to whack obstreperous little boys.

    I must have done something truly terrible one day because she whacked me so hard that the yardstick was broken.

    I don’t think she ever truly forgave me for breaking her favourite stick and, to this very day, I’m flooded a warm feeling of satisfaction every time I think of my childhood victory over the stick.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! Being the bearer of one's own implement of destruction is the pits. Doubtless you will never again look the same at the innocent meter sticks in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jack -- I too grew up far more familiar with yard sticks than meter sticks, but in school these days, the meter stick has become the norm... At any rate, I can empathize with your sense of triumph over the stick -- I do swear that some day there will be a great fire and all the "lumber" that bedevils my life will turn to so much kindling for the flames.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, morningstar, I did see your "clips" post, although, I've been just swamped this week with "school" details, and had no time to "socialize" with anyone as I should do. Seems we are on a wavelength again...

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. angee & hope -- just want to welcome you both here. Nice to see new faces around our "place."

    swan

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.