Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/23/2009

The Journey Makes us One


I teach in a Catholic school. Part of the deal is that we take our children to worship once a week. I've been attending Catholic masses on a weekly basis for some 18 school years now, and while I know there are some who will find it amazing, I have yet to burst into flames at the door to the church.

I am an increasingly confirmed "heathen," and I find that there are weeks when it comes around to Thursday morning, and I just cringe at the thought of having to go sit through the ritual. Still, it is my view that I can participate in the "customs" of the place at the highest level I am capable of. Learning to be respectful when encountering another culture is part of what I try to teach, so I try to model it in my own behavior.

Every now and then, sitting there watching the whole business, something will strike me as meaningful. Not necessarily meaningful in the way that is intended, but with a message that speaks to my heart in the moment. That has been the case in the last week, with a hymn that is being sung during this season of Lent. The music line is particularly evocative -- and it does seem to be stuck in my brain, but the words speak to me about my life; about our lives, especially just now --


Jerusalem My Destiny by Rory Cooney
...Though I cannot see the end for me I cannot turn away.
We have set our hearts for the way; this journey is our destiny.
Let no one walk alone. The journey makes us one.



swan

4 comments:

  1. swan, those are lovely words, and so appropriate at this time in all your lives.

    Stay strong.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that for many people religion is there for them, throughout their lives.

    For some, like me, perhaps like you, religion is there when you need it most. And maybe it doesn't offer you all the answers, sometimes it won't offer any, but sometimes we take something important away from it. And of course, being heathens, we are surprised. "Imagine finding that there!"

    A rabbi said to me that if you show up, go through the motions, follow the rules, go to services, you are more likely to find those things than if you don't go through the motions.

    Sometimes I sit during services and just let it all wash over me. I'm not really a believer, but there's such beauty in some of the services, placed there by millenia of believers, for whom belief was so important. How could there not be beauty, and often peace there?

    The words you copied were beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. Good luck to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:00 PM

    What beautiful words. I've copied them down so I have them for the future.

    I have faith rather than religion....and I'm not sure I'm even sure what or who my faith is directed at, but its there.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. on this journey know you are not alone.. we are all gathered round you supporting you and willing it to be over soon...

    hugs to you

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.