Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

11/28/2009

Transfusion Day

Today, our team of doctors is stymied. They simply cannot figure out what is going on with Him, and I suspect that they are having some fairly heated doctor conversations about what to do with Him -- some arguing more aggressive approaches, and others advocating for restraint and patience. It seems that the latest x-rays are still showing some distension of the small intestine, and that could indicate another obstruction -- although the CT scan didn't show anything to be concerned about in that way.



But He continues to have significant nausea, and while He is having bowel movements, they are very watery and, this morning, essentially clear. Without being able to get a fix on what is happening, our doctors are opting for keeping the nasal tube in place. None of us are anxious to have to have that re-inserted again, so there's no sense of urgency to get it out before it is really time.



Another concern is that His blood counts, both red cells and white cells are low, and they can't figure out why. There is no blood in His stools; no blood in His vomit; no obvious hematomas that are not accounted for and entirely expected as a result of the surgery. Still, the counts are low.



So, today, He is receiving two units of blood. So far, that is going well. We are aware of the risks of transfusion, but we just don't feel like there are good options.



swan

14 comments:

  1. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry that life has been dealing you such a rough hand!

    Perhaps the unwillingness of the doc to talk after the tests was related to the confusion about what was going on?

    I realize that there are concerns about transfusions, however, right now they are much safer than the general public believes. I once worked in blood collections, so have followed what happens in that area in professional literature. They keep tightening the criteria and testing so that the "purity" of the blood is amazing.

    I'll continue to hold your family in my heart and prayers.

    With love,
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impish110:50 AM

    Hang in there. I often think waiting is the hardest and bravest thing to do, but it may be just the thing. His whole system has had such a shock, and sometimes it just goes into sort of a "stun" mode. Transfusions can often bring a big difference as life and color literally seems to flow back into the patient. They regain some strength and will, and begin to heal and turn a corner. I will pray for this outcome for you, and continue to keep you close...

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hugs, hugs, and more hugs*

    I feel helpless in that nothing I have to say can change anything.

    I so wish healthiness back into your lives and a near future of more spankings and less hospitals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been so preoccupied, I've not gotten back here much to respond to all the good wishes and encouragement from all our friends here. Please know that we are checking in regularly and finding your kind words here does brighten our days and buoy our spirits. Thank you, one and all, for being there for us through this.

    You are just the best!
    swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Morning, just began catching up on some of my reading. I am sorry to hear that Raheretic is experiencing some health issues. I'm sending some peaceful positive thoughts your way and will say a few prayers. {{{{Big Hugs}}}}

    Hang in there,
    kitten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Hope that this all resolves itself soon and that you both are home, safe.
    Sir's pet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still praying and hoping that Tom recovers soon and that you all can return to your loving activities at home. I'm so sad that this has happened. Sending all my love and best wishes!
    Radha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending big hugs to you all. You'll be home soon.

    Love.
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm catching up on posts and am so sorry to hear about this setback (a mild word, I guess, but I'm trying to think positive for you). I'll keep good thoughts for all of you! Meow

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my dear, I can only imagine all the emotions you've all been going through with this. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hoping Tom turns a corner soon.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm wondering if the doctor who performed the gastric bypass has been consulted on Tom's condition. Seems his expertise would be valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:13 AM

    Bon courage!

    joy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi jojo -- Yes. The doctor who did the bypass surgery also was the surgeon this time around. The problem is that he left on Wednesday and has been out of town for the last 4 days. He should be back tomorrow. That will be a relief.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing deep to add - just another reader voicing concern and caring. I know what it's like to worry about the health of someone you love.

    I hope things get sorted out soon.

    o.g.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.