Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

4/05/2010

This Little Girl


This little girl is me.  The boy-child in the photo is my brother, Hank.  He's just 16 months younger than I am, and his arrival on the planet changed my life in big and small ways.  Isn't that the truth about younger siblings -- for all of us?

People who practice polyamory, and that would include us, sometimes point to the fact that parents can have several children and love all of them.  No one ever suggests that a parent should "get rid" of the older child when a younger sibling is born.  It is, we insist, possible and even commonplace to love a whole gaggle of children, raise them all simultaneously, and not have anyone "lose" in the bargain.  Except in the single-child family, all children are raised in situations where the love they experience is "polyamorous." 

That arguement is always posited from the view of the adults, the parents, loving their various children.  I've never heard anyone ever respond to that particular scenario with what seems to me a natural question -- "Yes, but what about how the children feel about it?"  Today, I am caught up in remembering that little blonde-haired, brown-eyed girl child, and I am awash in the awareness that, for her, the fact that there was another little one to love meant that she lost -- a very great deal. 

If you look closely at that seemingly happy family portrait, you might pay attention to the proxemics.  Notice who is at the center of this grouping.  Notice my mother's slight lean inward toward my father and my baby brother.  Notice me, out on the edge, as far away from my adored father as I can possibly be.  Notice, if you will, the eyes, the not quite smile, the look of questioning and confusion on my little face.  That's a look that has stayed with me all my life ... eyes into many, many cameras over the years asking where I belonged; if I belonged.  Here it is, years later, as I've moved even farther to the edge...
It is no secret to those who read here, that I am an uneasy polyamorist.  I understand it intellectually, and tolerate it with great difficulty in the actual practical realities.  I am, in any gathering of poly folk, the one who is likely to be quiet because, quite honestly, I am torn about how poly works for the greatest majority of people who might be engaged in it at some level.  In my heart of hearts, I will forever be that "big sister" edged out by all those brothers.  No one is ever going to convince me, in the deepest center of my heart, that "more" won't make a great and undeniable change in the way the world is. 

swan

4 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting and insightful piece you have created for all of us here.

    I was an only child (classically thought in sibling birth order psychology to be the most Dominant personalities, followed by eldest children......you:)Perhaps this is a factor in why I am more trusting of, and less anxious about, additional polyamorous partnerings.


    It is interesting that of we three we have a male only child (me)and two eldest daughters,

    I love you.

    Thank you for expressing this.

    Mine Always and All Ways,

    Tom

    Goconfidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raheretic:

    i am going to show my ignorance here... i have read and re-read your comment.. and am afraid i am still baffled...

    You wrote: "I was an only child (classically thought in sibling birth order psychology to be the most Dominant personalities, followed by eldest children......you:)Perhaps this is a factor in why I am more trusting of, and less anxious about, additional polyamorous partnerings."

    My question is... (if i can state it simply) why would swan's and Your birth order (making you both more dominant in personality - to which i totally agree btw) make you less anxious about additional polyamourous partnerings??

    Specifically - what i take from that is - that swan should also be less anxious and more trusting.

    simply put ...... (too late now right?? cheeky grin)

    Why??


    morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  3. morningstar, good morning and happy Easter M9nday:)

    swan's post seemed to me to be about the angst she experienced in her youth over the advent of additonal siblings possibly effecting her feelings about polyamory today.

    I was responding (perhaps arcanely) that because of my only child status I never had to resolve feelings over the additon of a new child to my family. I am hypothesizing that may have something to do with my security in the addition of additional adult relationships today. I never had the childhood experience of everything changing and never being the same again because of a new sibling's arrival on the scene.

    Also it just struck me for the first time that my two quite Dominant women with whom I'm partnered are both eldest children. In terms of sibling order psychological theory the only more Dominant class of individuals would be adults who were only children.

    I may have stated all this sort of cryptically but those were the concepts I was trying to get to.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raheretic:

    i get it now.... it is why YOU are confident and comfortable with possible additions as you never had siblings or the feelings of being pushed to the side... (so to speak)

    Just for the record - i was an only child for 10 years - then i was the eldest child - of a brother..... the beloved son.

    Something to think about for sure..

    morningstar

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.