Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

6/20/2010

I am a Masochist

Master worked very hard, when we first met, to convince me that I was, in fact, a masochist, and then to help me accept and come to terms with that self-description.  It was a label that scared me, and one that I fervently and adamantly denied -- for a really, really long time.  Eventually, I grew to embrace the obviously accurate nomenclature, and life went on.  It does not bother me, anymore, to claim that label for myself.  In a sense, I am even proud of the gift that it represents in my life -- although to be sure, there are very few opportunities to actually give voice to the declaration.  Among all the declarations of who I am that are perfectly normal and entirely acceptable (I am a liberal, a teacher, a lover, a friend, ...), the one self-descriptor that would stop most conversations, and create huge difficulty is that one:  "I am a Masochist." 

I did hear myself saying those exact words in a conversation just a few days ago (with someone who is fairly new to all of this), and I was struck by the odd, airless feeling that they create in the room.  No one blinked, and no one evidenced any judgement, and the impact of those words was undeniable.  I let the sound of them sit there between us for just a minute, and then I went on to try and explain my particular experience of that reality -- and life resumed its usual cadence. 

For myself, it feels as if my masochism has revived.  I am drifting in and out of a variety of masochistic fantasies -- both awake and while dreaming.  I am experiencing a sense of being sexually alive, and for me, that is indistinguishable from being masochistically hungry.  I am finding my way back into some sort of affirmative relationship with sadomasochistic play, tolerating pain and accomodating intense sensation better than I have for a longish while.  I am actively initiating SM interactions between He and I, and finding my way through those interactions with less emotional trauma or anger than has been the norm for the last few years.  To me, that feels good and positive and healthy.  I feel like it calls for a c e l e b r a t i o n.  I do.

Unfortunately, when I search for positive and affirming information about the way I am, it is seriously lacking.  Type in Internet search terms like "masochism" or "libido+masochism" or "healthy masochism," and page after page after page of results will describe how dysfunctional and unhealthy people like me really are.  Even as work is continuing to remove BDSM lifestyle choices from the DSM, the word has not spread very far.  As far as the society at large is concerned, as far as the average person can tell, the way I am, the things I do, the life I live is simply sick and wrong -- in need of immediate and intensive psychiatric interventions.  How sad. 

What that means, in practical terms is that essentially nothing at all has changed in the last 10 or 12 years.  There has been no effective shift in the perceptions of the mental health professionals that WE all have to deal with when issues arise for us in that realm -- and then no shift in the perceptions of the ordinary people who are our neighbors and co-workers and wider community.  What that means is that, no matter how I am experiencing my intimate life, I must travel about in an environment that perceives me in the most negative and damaging terms.  It doesn't change who I am, and it really doesn't have an enormous impact on my day to day life, but it does cause me to be more aware of my assumptions.  No matter how I see myself, it is probably important to understand that my view is in a very serious minority. 

swan

8 comments:

  1. Impish12:26 PM

    I think things will always remain the same in that you must live in the way that feels true for you, and those that you love and that love you. If you look for the validation of others, you will always be disappointed. I'm sorry, I know you want more, but this world disappoints often. Sometimes it's worth tilting at windmills, but you have to protect your heart while you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately I have been really struggling with my masochism. Even within the community I tend to get weird looks when asked what I am.. or worse yet.. after a public play time folks tend to come up to me and ask if "I am ok" or say "You are tough" ...all of which does nothing to reaffirm who I am .. but rather continues the feelings I have always had that somehow what I am is something to be ashamed of .. something to hide.

    Truthfully I feel like some weird species of person... Sometimes for me.. it is difficult to be a masochist.

    morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish -- you are, of course, correct. What is important is to maintain a healthy sense of self, to affirm our own truth. My point here however, is that even when we do manage to do that (and I think I do it pretty well most of the time), it is important to be aware that the wider world may be gunning for us. And for those who are new to all of this, searching and seeking, trying to sort it all out, are particularly vulnerable to the tidal wave of negative judgement about those of us who exhibit masochistic sexual and erotic orientations. I've no desire to "tilt at windmills." I think I have gotten most of that out of my system. But, to find such an overwhelming preponderence of negativity is really pretty stunning.

    Oh, and BTW -- it has really been nice having you back with us in the last bit. I hope that indicates that life is being a bit gentler with you and yours.

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  4. morningstar, you are not a "weird species of person." To be a masochist is, in my not at all humble opinion, is to be unique and powerful and magical in some sense. It can be healthy and sane, and the fact that it is widely viewed as "otherwise" is a social commentary and nothing more. In my experience, being fully in touch with my masochism is linked to being fully in touch with my sexual female self. The world is still not very comfortable with that sort of woman, and so "they" need us to be "sick" and "weird." That is about THEM and not about US.

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (ugh I really do have to learn to proof read before I hit post - sorry about that)


    "That is about THEM and not about US."

    I couldn't help but smile when I read those words swan ........ I just got back from having dinner with S&S and those were their EXACT words.

    I know you are all right ....... I just have to move the knowing from head to my heart..... :)

    morningstar

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impish18:11 PM

    Thanks. I wish it did, but the kind thoughts help more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting insight on this.. I deny and accept that side of me.. and I doubt that the outside world will ever really accept me on that level.
    Thankfully.. that is fine!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.