Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/08/2008

Blood




In Goethe's poem, Faust, our hero enters into a pact with the evil powers, represented in the poem by Mephistopheles, the emissary of hell. Faust strikes a bargain with Mephistopheles, signing the deed with his own blood. Faust, in the beginning, considers it all a great joke. It is Mephistopheles who describes how seriously this particular bargain really is: "Blood is a very special fluid.”





Blood is a very special fluid.





Blood has been on my mind more and more in the last few weeks.


I've been remembering that, in the early days, when I was just beginning to explore BDSM, there was a woman Dominant with whom I played just a bit. In the "negotiation" stage of our relating, she asked if I had any limits. I don't recall what all I told her, but I very clearly remember going immediately to, "I don't want to bleed."



Of course, that mindset evolved. Not with her, but surely as Master and I became partners. I most definitely have bled for Him; in a variety of ways. Most significantly, of course, was the ritual cutting that left His initials on my back. We captured the blood flowing from those cuts on white silk handkerchiefs, and mounted and framed them. That "blood" became, for us a very evocative piece of art. Clearly, the "limit" of wanting to not bleed was vanquished in the connecting to Master.





Here lately, He's been talking now and then, about re-doing the cutting. It has faded. Part of me wishes He'd decide. The experience was so intense, but it was also a hugely bonding time for me. Everytime He gets close to deciding, He backs away. It is faded, but still visible. Not yet.





Too, I've developed a number of weakened places on my butt that frequently break and bleed in sessions. I can't tell it. It doesn't hurt any more than anything else He might be doing. But I do think that my bleeding impacts on Him. I think it is hard for Him to see me bleeding and not become concerned that I am being harmed.


Of course, for all of us, during our adult years, there is the regular reality of menstrual blood. I battled my own periodic flow of blood for years and years. It was never an easy, simple passage for me. I bled profusely, and there was never a single "feminine hygiene" product that I ever found which wasn't, ultimately, defeated by my bloody femininity.





We are currently involved with a group of young marketing professionals who are donating hours and significant talent to help create a new marketing strategy for Master's agency. They've put us through all sorts of exercises to try and define the "marketing equity" for the agency. It is like a one-line catch phrase that is supposed to define the "product." One of the very dapper young guys is a marketing "whiz" for Proctor and Gamble's Tampax line. He, in an effort to illustrate to us what "product equity" was, explained that the equity for Tampax is "white panties." That simple. That's what they sell.





Now, I've got to tell you that in the grip of my raging bleeding days, white panties weren't the goal. I never imagined that there might be a feminine hygiene product that would give me something so unobtainable as "white panties. I tried Tampax. I used the biggest, hunkiest sanitary pad known to man (I called them 5-day, turtle neck, sanitary pads), and I went through cases of Insteads. Nothing kept me "white." I'd have been happy to achieve something like "not publicly embarrasing." Hemohrragic bleeding is an ugly thing.





And I would give anything -- ANYTHING -- to have it all back. That battle was central to the business of being female. Without the blood, I'm terribly "neat and tidy," but essentially sexless. I'd happily bleed again if I could have my sexuality back.





Which is, at the heart of it all, I think what makes me contemplate what it would mean to create bleeding for myself. Yes, I do obsess these days on cutting. On bleeding. Would bleeding restore me to some deeper, more essential, important sense of being a woman? Or would it simply end up being some disappointing, grand-standing bullshit call for attention? So far, it has been my inability to answer that question that has kept me from checking it out. That, and the belief that He'd react badly to me going that way.





Still, late at night, in the dark, I wonder about the nature of blood. It is, after all, a very special fluid.





swan

3 comments:

  1. You've asked yourself some fascinating questions Swan. I'd love to hear the outcomes if you feel comfortable sharing when the time comes.

    I'm not at the moment when my Hemorhrragic bleeding has passed. I started bleeding when I was 10 years old. At 44, I feel so damned done with it all! I'd adore being tidy.

    I'd adore lovely drawerfuls of lacy, expensive white panties and pristine white sheets and white slacks. Sure as hell, I'll forget and wear them on a day the bleeding starts unexpectedly...

    I think that the releasing of blood is more a purification experience, rather than one which puts power in...At least, as a person who has studied this from not only the perspective of the spiritual benefits of my own menses...It seems to be true of those situations in which blood being let as a part of a ceremonial experience...this seems to be true.

    Its also true that at times it does empower...but not in the way one expects. In ceremony it works in the way of making relationship...just as you've already discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. swan,

    That was a very powerful post. I too have experienced the challenges of excessive bleeding, including night time roulette. Was one hour more of sleep in the middle of the night worth the cleanup effort if I guessed wrong? Luckily I've transitioned into menopause, though not without enduring a couple of two-month long bleeds along the way. With it came a much-enhanced libido, so my years of struggling have paid off!

    The idea of repeating the cutting puzzles me. As you said, it was a bonding experience. It was an outward, physical act that united you and symbolized an inner, invisible joining. It does not need to be repeated. If the lines have faded, then so they should. That is part of the nature of it - not to stay fresh and raw and stand out as something startling, but to mature, soften, become just another part of your flesh.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:32 PM

    I am thrilled to be done with the bleeding, and was not happy with the hemorragic episode that I experienced this year. I have struggled with the sexual issues of menopause that you have faced, and I am surmounting them so I do think they get better if you keep working those pathways. I am am a woman because I am; it is intrinsically who and what I am. If I lost every part of my body that made me feminine, I would mourn greatly, but I would still be woman. I would express it in my thoughts, words, scents, and dress. I am woman.

    impish1

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.