Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/26/2009

Adjusting

The school year started yesterday. My newest class arrived promptly at 8:00, and we launched into the adventure that is a new school year.


This group comes with a reputation for being ill-mannered and difficult. The teachers that worked with them last year ended feeling very negative about this group of children. Hearing their daily complaints about these students, and knowing that they would be "mine" this year, I spent a fair amount of time extablishing the rudiments of relationships with many of them as I encountered them on the playground and in the halls. So, they are not an entirely blank slate...


Two days in, I am finding them cooperative and interesting. There have been some minor behaviors that have needed to be addressed, but nothing that seems out of the ordinary for people who are mostly 11 years of age. In general, they seem very much like a bunch of exuberant, and not particularly well socialized puppies. There are some definite wrinkles in this crowd... but I am excited and looking forward to a good year for them and for me.


That's the good news.


On other fronts, things are challenging.


There is very little new to share about T's mom. She remains largely unresponsive, although T suspects that she is over-medicated with vicoden, and perhaps not able to be coherent, aware, and interactive. T and her brother are beginning to confront the legal issues related to taking care of mom's affairs. There is no power of attorney and that will likely necessitate a process of establishing someone as "guardian." It is emotionally complicated and painful. Things are not going easily.


Our daily summer walks have ended. He is walking on His own in the mornings now. His I-pod provides the companionship, and His times have improved as He walks alone. Because I had an evening meeting yesterday, I came home in the afternoon and tried to walk on the treadmill. I got 41 minutes in, and then fell off the cursed thing. I twisted my ankle, and so am not walking tonight... Blech!


He spent some time yesterday, while I was gone, practicing with the various whips. There is really nothing much to say about that. I've said too much on the subject already.


Days that begin at 5:30 leave little time or energy for the other stuff. He's taking care of Himself these days... the best I can do is fix His breakfast and His lunch. For the rest of it -- it is out of my control. I feel like I settled into the summer this year in a way that was much deeper than I have in years past. Leaving each day feels really bad. It is like I am abandoning Him, and abandoning territory that had come to feel like "mine." Now, again, for the next nine or ten months, it is all up for grabs. I can't change any of it. I am torn, and it feels exhausting.


swan

7 comments:

  1. I think each time I read your blog lately I want to send hugs to you and T.
    sin

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, the one thing I truly appreciated about a teacher is when they make their OWN assessments about the children; good for you swan.

    second, god, I feel for t. that is SO rough and a sad reminder to all of us with elderly parents to gently encourage them to get these things in hand before a crisis. All I can offer is heartfelt thoughts - I went through a different (but equally exhausting and emotionaly devastating) experience with my father, and am largely responsible for my 84 year old mum (who lives in another city - I "commute" to see her and sort things out every 4-6 weeks). there just is no easy way of dealing with this. I hope at least her siblings are taking on some of the burden.

    I also sympathize with your frustration - over the years I often told D. how much I would LOVE to be home, simply to worry about him. Life, however, today just doesn't allow that luxury for most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish110:29 AM

    I'm sorry, Swan - I would feel the same way. Time and routine will make it feel more natural, and probably more comfortable, but T's mom, twisted ankle, new school year, loss of walks with Tom, no sleep...doesn't it always seem to come at once?

    Glad to hear you see the potential in those kids; just knew that's the kind of teacher you were! My son was one of the not perfect children and the teachers who really saw him made such an enormous difference in his life, in all our lives. Now, at the start of the new year just let me saw a big thanks for them everywhere.

    Practicing with those whips? Don't forget what he told you that morning...

    Hang in there, these tough, exhausting times won't be forever even if they seem that way right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of shifts...

    Sending you all warm thoughts. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally understand it all, even the kids part (I used to own a pre-school).

    You'll all get through this, it's just rough now, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:04 AM

    I love your approach to your kids. It's always been my belief that the knot-head-iest ones are the most interesting (and fun!) and I've always sought out deeper relationships with those kiddos. They need us most, don't they?

    Have a great school year. My kids will begin on Wednesday and I can't wait.

    jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to leave hugs. Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but I've been reading and thinking about you all.

    I love your connection with your kids. Every year a new bunch, every year I read new enthusiasm for them, and see new potential being identified. You're one hell of a teacher my friend.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.