Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/11/2009

Profanity and Pain



I was out driving early this afternoon, coming home from taking Master's father to a medical procedure, and as I listened to the radio, I heard a report about a scientific study, conducted in Great Britain, about the effects of Profanity on the perception of pain. Apparently, these researchers took off from the experience that we've almost all had -- hurting ourselves in some fashion, followed immediately by language that is generally not considered appropriate for polite society. You know how it works... stubbed toe -- "OH! SHIT! FUCK that hurts!" Interestingly, what they found was that that taboo language works to somehow change the perception / experience of pain.

Yeah!

So, there I was driving down the road, thinking that the next time I start hollering, "FUUUUCCCCCCCCKKK!" in session, I ought to get a pass. After all, it's just another tool for processing pain. Right?


swan

3 comments:

  1. grins, you mean people DON'T swear during a session - I try, at the least, to do it a wee bit under my breath LOL
    and actually I find it IS a tool for processing pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely there's a time and place for everything - even swear words.
    Although I guess that would be up to your Master (and mine) to determine.
    All things in moderation??
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish11:16 PM

    I used to teach my kids that their minds were their own and I expected them to use them. That meant that we could discuss home issues, discipline, etc freely, and that, if in the end I came to a decision with which they did not agree, they were free to think I was an idiot but at that point discussion was done. If they wished to continue at home, school, sports (tumultous teenage years), they needed to act with reasonable respect towards authority figures that had made final decisions. I always pointed out that they were free to say anything at any time - in their heads - and that this could be a way of coping. If cussing is a no no in your sessions, may I most heartily recommend this approach; I use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.