Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

8/16/2009

Sunday Update

I first want to express my DEEP gratitude for all of the well wishes, prayers, and sacrificial offerings for my Mom. While I might morn the loss of a goat, lamb, or whatever the "offering du jour" might be, I think Mom benefited more. So thanks. It is such a small word for all of the gratitude I am filled with for this community.

I am home. Mom had the trach removed today with a great deal of difficulty. She didn't respond very well to the removal and required 4 breathing treatments before they had her agitation under control. She is not fully awake and very uncomfortable. She opens her eyes a tiny bit and uses both feet to thrash around in the bed. She has really severe arthritis in her lower back and hips and HATES to lay around and when she does, she shifts position frequently. We can see that she is uncomfortable, but little we do improves that condition. She is still not using the right arm much. She tried to push with it, but it is obvious there is less strength than the left.

I spoke to the Intensive Care Doc before leaving her to come back to Cincy. He says they are keeping a close eye on her breathing and there is a possibility that the trach might have to return. As long as she is off the trach, she will be moved to a step-down unit in a few days. PT should start tomorrow as well as speech therapy. He is thinking a MRI might be another step in the next few days.

She is still not speaking, but when she is not pleased she lets us know by her body language. My brother lives in her area, so he will be able to see her each night. I am thinking I will go up after work on Tuesday and then go back for the weekend next Friday. This will be my schedule until she is on the mend and home where she belongs.

So, I am home. I am exhausted. I have wrestled the fur-ball, Pranzer and he is calming down. Tom and Swan are at our daughter's college graduation and dinner. They just called me so I could congratulate the graduate......and for the FIRST TIME EVER, she responded "I love you, too", when we were saying goodbye and I said it first. I was not only tickled but very teary over that.

Years ago, someone told our family that when we find money on our path, it was my Dad checking in. So whenever we find coins, we always say "Hi" to my Dad. Yesterday I was exiting my car in the hospital garage, which is under a great deal of construction. I am always looking around on the ground, to make sure I am not going to run over nails or construction crap. The area around the car was fine, and debris clean. I went to visit Mom and when I returned to my car after visiting hours, there was a dime and a penny on the ground by my driver's side door. I smiled and told Dad "Hi".....then it dawned on me that it was 11 cents.....My Mom's birthday is the 11th. Guess he knows more than I do, huh?

Again, thanks to all.

T

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:16 PM

    I know it can be extremely difficult dealing with the stress of a sick parent. It is heartbreaking not being able to fit their discomfort. My thoughts, prayers, and well wishes are with your mother and family.

    Hugs,
    kitten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:16 PM

    *fix* not fit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. t- I know only too well how exhausting, mentally, physically, spiritually, it can be dealing with a very ill parent - and it makes it even harder when you're not that close.

    I am happy to hear your mother sounds like her fighting spirit is up and running - how wonderful that is!

    Keeping fingers crossed that all continues to improve and I think your finding that money was incredible.... stranger things in our world than we know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very good to hear from you. I"m glad things are improving with your Mom...Blessings to you all. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you'll continue to keep us updated on her progress. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. T - i just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts... i nursed my mom for 3 months (thankfully she didn't linger for too long - she had cancer) i left work every Friday and drove 3 hours to be with her.. left Sunday to drive home and be in work on Monday.

    i know how exhausting it can be.

    You MUST take care of yourself - please !!

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impish18:18 PM

    T, I walk this walk with you. I am the caretaker for four over-eighty year old parents, all with chronic problems and periodic emergencies. I so wish I could reach through here and offer you some strength and help. Sounds as though you are being supported and are keeping up one step at a time. My thoughts and prayers to you and your mom, and my very best to your family in this tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy about your daughter, hoping for your mom, sweet story about your Dad, T. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleven cents - that was your Dad for sure.

    You are all in my thoughts.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear encouraging news. I'm sure she'll get better day by day. It sounds like you could use some rest...a little time to recharge your batteries.

    Our thoughts and prayers are still with you all.

    butterfly

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.