Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

10/17/2009

Inner World




One of the fairly pervasive notions in power exchange relating is the idea that there should be transparency. The usual view is that the submissive partner must convey all pertinent information about their emotional and intellectual state to the Dominant partner in a timely fashion. It is this open and total access to information that is seen as giving the Dominant the tools needed to exercise control and make decisions about the direction of the relationship. From a theoretical perspective, a requirement of absolute transparency makes perfect sense. In practical terms, I'm not entirely convinced that it is doable or even desirable.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, of course. For me, though, being transparent would mean that He'd be deluged in the flood of responses and reactions that flow through my brain from moment to moment. That pageant really is remarkably similar to the Raveonettes video shown here; lots of random impressions and responses to whatever it might be that my very sensitive emotional radar picks up from the air around me. My very busy left brain narrates a running subtext for the whole show, and unless you are me, the whole tumult is potentially overwhelming.

Anger, frustration, giddy joy, confusion, fear, worry, triumph, confidence, uncertainty, sorrow, loneliness, satisfaction, relaxation -- all of those and a raft of other reactions may be swirling around in my head at any given moment. Making it worse, I tend to nudge at the whole mess, trying to analyze and understand the bits and pieces and details. Sometimes the story that I come up with is loaded with deep personal awareness and great insight. At other times, I concoct the kind of wild imagining that veers dangerously close to sheer craziness. And, I can careen between those extremes in an eye blink.

He doesn't need all of that. Doesn't really even WANT all of that. He can't do anything constructive with it, and the only likely outcome of my spewing it everywhere is that He will become confused, overwhelmed, and frustrated.

So. I do choose what to share with Him -- and what to simply keep to myself. I do decide when there is something going on in my mind that is "real," and germane to our relationship. If it is just me, talking myself into feeling sad, pouty, anxious, or angry for no real reason, then I most often decide to keep the details to myself. I may tell Him that I am just in a "bad" place; or perhaps that I am "having a moment," and I assure Him that I can and will work it out. He is generally content to have that happen, although I know that He will then watch me do that work with a very careful eye.

It is, in my view, the corollary to our physical power exchange dynamic. He doesn't try to micromanage my daily routines and choices. He trusts me to do that -- expects that I will do that in accord with what He would wish. He has no use for the clingy, dependent, helpless sort of slave who cannot function independently when the situation calls for it. And He insists that I have the responsibility for my daily activities and choices. He is also clear that I have the responsibility to hand those choices over to Him immediately when and if that is what He wants. There is no option, within this dynamic, for me to abandon my own adult responsibilities, and sink into allowing Him to deal with all of it. The same is true of our emotional dynamic. I remain responsible for my thinking and my emotions. Should He want to know about some particular part of what is going on with me, He asks -- and I'm expected to come clean... immediately and clearly. Otherwise, He leaves my thinking to me, and He expects me to handle it in His (and our) best interests.

It is just us, of course. We are probably way out of line with what is "typical" of our sort of relationship -- but for us, it is what works.

swan


7 comments:

  1. swan,

    I've never commented here before but I have to say I agree completely. I'm not even completely sure it's good for governments (but that's another issue).

    There are times when I just have to sit with my anger or frustration, which often changes from moment to moment and could certainly do more harm than any intended good.

    Even in my blog I find I edit myself and weed out all those thoughts choosing instead to focus on only one or two.

    There are times however, when I do need to share with my Master exactly what is on my mind, but only when I feel this burdensome, reoccurring frustration over the same thing.

    Thankfully Master is very open to those conversations.

    Thank you,
    Omega's mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, mouse.
    I understand the "editing" of your thoughts and feeling on your blog. I've learned to do that as well, over the years. I find that it is best to keep an entirely private journal for those "other" less acceptable thoughts and feelings. Here, in this public place, I am more mindful of my words and their possible impacts.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish19:52 AM

    I think it was there in your opening statements...must convey all "pertinent" information... So many things draw me to your blog. One is how alike we are inside ourselves emotionally even though we are two very different people leading very different lives with very different dynamics. Another is the way you live your lifestyle wholeheartly, as adults, without games, something that as I read, seems rare. You are all so willing to share with information and points of view if someone is truly open to learn, not seeking to judge. And, of course the writing, thoughtful, incisive. It's sometimes deep sending me off on tangents of ideas, sometimes light and playful giving me a smile for the day.
    If your relationship is not typical within the M/s world...well, I think it is what a lot of us are trying to accomplish in a lot of marriages and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think one of my favorite things about you blog is that you have such depth of experience and wisdom, that you sometimes make these words and concepts we take for granted in the "scene" just seem silly.

    Transparency sounds soooo good in theory, doesn't it? But you're right, in reality, it can lead to a jumble of ideas that MUDDY everything instead.

    Between my partner and I, we don't talk a lot about transparency, but DO assume HONESTY. Similar to you, I'm expected to always be honest (which seems like common courtesy to me!), and forthcoming. And perhaps because we're both women, there IS a lot of discussion about the various nuances of our feelings--AFTER a scene usually.

    But you make me think outside the box, and really consider why I think something is valuable, instead of just assuming that it is.

    Thanks for a good read, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about this posting on and off all day. I think I probably consciously share more with He Who Must Be Adored than maybe I would if we lived together because, if we did, he'd pick up on much more through body language and all the other little signs and nuances in the same way I do with him when we are together.

    Of course I don't tell him every last thought...and not even something which might momentarily bother me but that I work through (although sometimes I guess I do do that), but if a thought process or feeling persists, then yes...it gets journalled or emailed to him so that he can choose if he wants to investigate further or not.

    Its taken me a long time to get here, and I can still shut down a little when I'm feeling overwhelmed or tired, but that too has become an indicator for him.

    Its like everything it seems. We experiment and adapt until we find what works for us.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impish -- I agree that the notion of "pertinent" information seems central to this particular facet of living the lifestyle. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be privy to all the noise inside my head... however if it makes a difference for Him or for me, or for us -- then that's different...

    Nic -- thanks for pointing out that "assumption" move that is so often just a part of this. We tend to throw buzz words around without ever really examining them, until they are taken as "gospel" without any sort of examination. I really do think that doing this without conscious examination is problematic.

    M:e -- as always, you point to the fact that one size doesn not fit all. Just as there is no one true way that works for us, your unique situation drives particular adjustments and adaptations for your relationship. It is as it should be.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impish16:03 PM

    I certainly understand what you mean. I do what you do, and sometimes even I don't want to be privy to what goes on inside my head!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.