Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

10/02/2009

Moms

As T's mom recovers more and more, the relationship between them has been drawn in ever finer detail for me. I've always known that the two of them were close -- mother and daughter, but good friends as well. They purely love each other, and through all of this recovery and rehabilitation, T has been devoted and determined to give her mother every possible bit of support and encouragement and assistance. She has worn herself out on her mother's behalf, and I worry for her... On the other hand, when I get to see the two of them together, there is something that is so stunning in their connection that I am left nearly speechless.

Their relationship stands in stark contrast to the interactions that I have had with my own mother. Where T and her mom exchange, "I love you best," endearments, I am reminded of all the times my mother has been so adamant about all the ways that I have fallen short in the daughter (and even human being) department. I can't help but make the comparison.

It doesn't make me sad actually. The place where that might feel sad and hurt seems just sort of empty. In some ways, it feels like some part of me wants a "mommy" that would see me and accept me in the way T's mom does, but that feeling is not new -- its been there as long as I can remember. For now, I feel privileged to be able to witness the kind of mother/daughter loving that reassures me that such a thing really does exist. I am so glad that, day by day, T is getting her mommy back.

swan

3 comments:

  1. YOU are getting your mommy back too, swan. My mom loves you as a daughter. It is apparent every time you visit her.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. swan - It's amazing how many of us have fallen short in our m-----'s eyes. Me too. Luckily, it has nothing to do with you or me not being wonderful human beings. It's their problem, not ours.

    You're lucky that T will share hers with you. That must be a good feeling.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish111:33 AM

    For many of us the only chance we will have at that relationship is knowing it with our children. Seeing what others had, knowing the failures of our own childhoods made us so determined that our own children would know secure love. Perhaps that connection lies in our future...

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.