Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/12/2010

Choices

Bella, responding to my advice to my 20 year old self, wrote this comment --


I wish I had chose someone safe, but I went with my heart and chose musicians, bad boys and Masters who were wrong, and now I am 35 and missed out on what I actually wanted. I didnt want much, just a house, a couple of kids and a husband who loved me. Watching my son play football Friday nights, and sending my daughter off to the prom. Making christmas and halloween, and thanksgiving, but now its all too late because I took chances. I,m looking backwards and it makes me so sad. I wish I had the last 20 years back, because my next 20 is going to be lonely.

And then sin added this --

Swan, I read your piece and while part of me agrees, I kept thinking, 'yes but if you had made those risky choices, you might have regretted it that you didn't choose safe.' So it's very interesting to me that Bella says exactly that in her comment.


Maybe we need a platform of safety to jump from?

I'd suggest that there is really no "platform of safety," as sin suggests, from which to jump into life.  Life is not safe.  Relating to others is not ever safe.  My seemingly "safe" marriage turned out to have a variety of very distinct and very specific pitfalls.  Most of those "pitfalls" were invisible to me at the outset.  Expecting to be able to predict the path that life will take is a fool's game.  All of our very best laid plans can be blown away in a simgle instant.  So, yes, if I'd made riskier choices, I might have come to this point with another collection of personal regrets.  Probably so.  Funny how that works.  We don't get to wander our way through life without encountering adversity and challenge.

Too, Bella imagines, from her perspective, that if she'd eschewed all those bad boys and musicians in favor of some safe, responsible, sensible fellow, she'd have ended up with "a house and a couple of kids and a husband who loves" her.  That is the fairy tale fantasy of "happily ever after" on which so many of us were brought up.  That marriage dream is so ingrained in our shared consciousness that it is rare to find a woman who does not imagine that marriage, family, and the house with the white picket fence combination is the absolute path to ultimate happiness.

It just isn't so.  The whole elaborate industry around marrying would have us believe that there is some magic to the whole business.  Marriage is not a solution; not salvation; not the be all and end all of relatedness.  Marriage is, at the simplest level, a contract.  It defines the technicalities of inheritance and parentage.  We've come to accept the notion that the "institution of marriage" is founded in love and mutual committment, but that is a very late overlay to what has been, through a very great part of human history, primarily a political and financial instrument.  Some of those alliances work out well. People find each other, create the contract, and go on to build families and lives and homes and all the rest.  Others run into all sorts of difficulties, and only a very few of those are visible to most of us.  To assume that that path is somehow "safe" is just naive.

I don't know the answers.  I only know that if I'd known when I was 20 how very iffy it is that life can be managed in such a way to make one safe and secure and happy and serene, I might have been willing to contemplate other paths and other possibilities and other configurations for my life.  Maybe, if I'd known, I'd have been inclined to trade the illusion of security and safety for a life that affirmed me and fulfilled me and allowed me to nurture and embrace the biggest dreams of my life.

swan



7 comments:

  1. It is an interesting proposition, the path unwalked. I agree with Swan.

    I dated "dangerous" men and boys for many years. Then I had a child. I found my safety in a gorgeous, loving man, settled, married, procreated a little more...We do Christmas, Thanksgiving, soccer games, scouts. He is lovely. He is nice. I am not happy. Well, I wasn't.

    Safety isn't all it is cracked up to be! In fact for me safety equates to a mundane subsistence where you survive your way through your life, not really living. I don't want to be married to a nice man. I want to be married to someone passionate and unpredictable, whose being drives me to want to be more.

    Safety is a cloth woven of fear that we choose to throw over ourselves at different times. We think that if we sit, curled up under it that we will be okay. You can sit under your safety and watch the world create itself around you, hoping that everything passes by and leaves you alone in your safety. There is no such thing.

    Now I am living. Diving in. Wringing every last drop of deliciousness from my life. Remembering who I was, who I am.

    If the best anyone has to say about me is that I am nice, my life has been unfulfilled. Call me passionate, crazy, devious, wanton, egotistical but don't call me nice! I don't want a safe life, I want the thrill of living to greet me every morning when I wake up!

    I suppose you could say that I now have the best of both worlds - and I do - but it isn't safe. It is what I want, what I created, what I have earned and what I chase.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a Taste -- Welcome and well met! You said it better than I managed to, and I am immensely grateful.

    Come back often.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I plan to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post..

    IF ONLY..but then it would be "IF ONLY I KNEW" and I didn't.

    SO .. what I do now is what I do.

    and the rest .. sigh === well they can do whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These couple of postings have reminded me that every choice we make or don't make has changes us in mostly, though not always, subtle ways. The choices you made in the first part of your life led you down the path to where you are now. Different choices would have meant you wouldn't be here, living this life, writing about it. I, for one, am glad your path led here.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. M:e -- You are, of course, right. That is precisely the talk I have with myself whenever I get to "mourning all those wasted years..." It is my sincere belief that we are each the product of our accumulated encounters and experiences, and I agree that it was the path I followed that led me here. Here is a very good place, and so I am grateful for the path.

    With that said, if I could, by some magic, rewrite the script and have it so that Master and I would have found one another and fallen in love when I was 19 or 20 and He was 25 or 26 -- if doing that could have spared us the pain that we each dealt with, and put us into some "happily ever after" story... I would be very tempted to wave that magic wand.

    Hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh you misunderstand me, my fault. I am divorced and have had a white picket fence. Not what I am looking for. I married a musician, and then a Master, and had houses and children. Now 17 years old. I am not looking to live my life over, just wondering about my future. I don't know guess i want some advice.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.