Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

7/31/2010

Joints

In July of 2005, Master had His right knee replaced.  Making the decision to go ahead with that surgery was very scary, and we approached the date with a lot of anxiety and fear.  He was ferocious about the rehabilitation after that surgery, and today He has great mobility and use of the "bionic" knee. 

Now, however, we are getting closer and closer to the decision point for replacing both the other knee as well as His right shoulder.  Osteoarthritis is unrelenting in the progressive damage it does.  Probably, the first step will be to replace the shoulder.  Increasingly, it hurts Him to move it even a little bit.  Increasingly, it limits His ability to participate in the things He wants and needs to do.  Surely, it is cutting into our ability to spank and play as we might wish to do.  Spanking loses its appeal when it "hurts Him more than it hurts me." 

Healing, recovering and rehabilitating from shoulder replacement is a lengthy process.  We are hoping to wait until next summer to have that surgery -- there've already been two major surgeries in this year...  Everything we read says that, while the pain is reduced and relieved almost immediately, it takes up to a year to recover full mobility and strength in the shoulder.  Given that, it seems that He'll do shoulder replacement next summer and then get the knee replaced a year later. 

That's the long range plan for our family...  And that doesn't even begin to address the fact that T has a bum knee too...  No crystal ball needed for seeing the future here.
swan

7 comments:

  1. No crystal ball....but hopefully having a timeframe in mind will allow for plans to be made to make getting to the other side of all that a little easier.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read you 3 for a few years, though I've quietly lurked.

    Sorry to hear about the knee issues. I have OA as well and just had a round of Supartz injections to help with lubrication. I've had 2 surgeries on my right and 1 on my left. Knee replacement is inevitable. What is the recovery time like? How quickly were "normal" duties easily managed? What, if any, recurring issues do you have with the replaced knee? Does it require maintenance?

    Inquiries scared to death girls want to know

    ReplyDelete
  3. swan, truly you guys are facing what many of us are facing - the future is here and it is us! We have had a taste this summer -my cycling accident in June has left with a broken arm and BADLY broken leg - and I've been relegated to a wheelchair and modified walker for the past 2 months - probably longer (will find out on august 9) - but it has made us face realities too. One thing I know that HAS helped though is that although out of practice (I had just resumed my gym and cycling regime for a couple of months before the accident after almost 14 months of doing NOTHING) - the remnants of yoga and pilates that I retained have really helped.

    I am currently seeking a one on one yoga teacher who will work with me once the arm cast is off - and will take into account weak wrists and one leg that can't be used.

    I know a lot of people look at yoga and see it as a "new age" thing but if you get the right teacher it can make a TREMENDOUS difference to quality of life - for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa, you need to locate an orthopedic surgeon who performs the new and less damaging "quad saving technique" total knee replacement not the traditional total knee replacement developed in the early 1970s. That procedure requires less hospitalization, and shorter rehab. Also look for a surgeon who does not use an automatic range of motion machine. Those machines are medieval torture devices, make no helpful contribution to rehab., and may actually retard your rehabilitatiion. With that technique I was done with PT and back to work at 6 weeks. Now that return to work was not entirely pain free and I was still doing PT work on my own. Too, I was doing office work not construction or heavy (or even moderate) labor.

    Hugely important is post surgical rehab. You need to work at it very hard and yes, it does hurt. My right knee is hugely functional and has complete range of motion because I did the work. My ex-wife wimped out on her rehab. and now has an only partially functioning knee.

    I have had no issues with my new knee. It is great. I do have to take a single dose of antibiotics if I have a dental procedure. That and an annual check up by my surgeon (he X-rays it to make sure it is OK) is the only maintenance required.

    I was scared to death for my first replacement. I now know what is entailed, and that I have a great deal of control in making it a success. I know it is major surgery and involves pain...........but it is time limited pain. Then it goes away. I have pain in my knee all the time anyway so there is nowhere to go but up.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa -- if you are interested in the immediate aftermath of Master's knee replacement surgery, this link takes you to a post made on August 11, 2005: http://theswansheart.blogspot.com/2005/08/triumphal-knee-news.html

    The replacement was done on July 7, and as you will read, by August 11, He was well on their way to being completely recovered.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. selkie -- I am so glad to see you! But, OMG, woman! I didn't know that you had had an accident! I am so sorry -- please continue to heal and recover. I hope that your long stretch of being laid up is nearly ended.

    You are right about the inevitability of this aging business. I am beginning to wonder if that "graceful old age" thing is going to be something I can ever achieve... sigh!

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impish110:34 AM

    Oh, dear, I fear this is the future many of us face. I'm quite sure having these options is better than not having them, but facing so many is daunting certainly. Hard to be the patient, hard to be the caregiver, hard to put your life on hold. I'm not sure what to say except thinking of you as you keep on keeping on...

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.