Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

12/03/2005

I Give Up

If you grew up female in the 1960's, there came a day, inevitably, when your mother handed you a pleasant looking little box of goodies labled "Today You are a Woman." Inside were all the "feminine hygiene" products that introduced you to the secrets of the club of menstruating females: pads of various sizes, and the elastic belt with the little metal or plastic clips that rubbed the hide off of you (front and back). If you had a mother who was more interactive and more emotionally supportive than mine, you might have been talked through all the cryptic "stuff" inside the BOX. In my case, I was given a stack of single sheet newspaper to keep in the bathroom, and told they were for wrapping the pads in so that my Dad and brothers wouldn't see them.

So, was I initiated into the secret of womanly bleeding...

From that moment forward, I've warred with my wayward uterus.

Irregular periods throughout most of my young womanhood made me the girl you didn't want to be dating. I was nothing if not exciting on that score...

Still, it cradled and nurtured two healthy pregnancies with barely a murmur. And likely would have welcomed a host of others had I been so inclined. Birthing babies was the strong suit of the uterus from hell...

There were the days of my stint in the halls of the "good old boy" world of Oil and Gas Corporate ladder climbing, when the uterus seemed to understand that I was pretending to be a guy. Through those years, I seldom had more than 3 or 4 periods a year, and at least one medical practitioner opined that I might be menopausal -- at 26 years of age. Once I escaped from the dog eat dog world of really big swinging dicks, trading in my balls for something more civilized, my periods, interestingly, resumed with a regularity that I'd never experienced in the years prior to that lengthy stint...

28 days. 28 days. 28 days. 28 days.

Then, a few years back, things started to shift. Still 28 days, but the tide began to rise. Slowly at first, barely perceptible, but heavier and heavier -- with each passing month, my menses became more and more extreme. The culprits, it seems, as I move closer and closer to menopause, are uterine fibroids.

I've tried everything to try and cope with their silent depredations. I do not want to lose the old uterus. We've been together a long time.

Then, Thursday, for the second time in two years, I had a hemorrhagic bleed -- in my classroom, with children present. I believe I managed to get out before any children were traumatized, but not before I was. Bleeding in public is something we are conditioned against from the beginning...

I had to leave school in the middle of the day, shaken and scared, a mess of blood to my knees -- leaving my classes in the hands of a hastily summoned substitute...
I give up. There will be a hysterectomy. Probably December 29 if it can be scheduled. All will be gone. Done. Taken. No more blood. No more mess. No more cradle for the children, now long grown. No girlie parts.

I am devastated. I am furious. I am bereft. I am in mourning.

I am trying to tote up the positives. Dollars saved on hygiene products no longer needed. Perhaps the cessation of migraines driven by hormonal storms each month. Lower backache ended forever. No more monthly sore boobs.

Last night though, I dreamed that someone came and stole all the living room furniture leaving only empty space... Empty space...

It feels like having a well-loved and faithful old dog put to sleep. I'm really sorry, uterus, but it's time. I hope it isn't too awful for you....

Maybe there should be a bon voyage party... some brandy in the douche bag perhaps? Probably not a good idea, but WTF?

I am just so terribly, horribly, sad...

swan

11 comments:

  1. I know how upset you are. I know how you've struggled to avoid this. I know this feels like a defeat. I know you're very scared.

    I know too, you are going to be OK once we get through this part. T and I will hold you close and advocate with the health care system like tigers. You will have the best of care. You will recover and no longer be afflicted with a number of issues that have been getting more and more painful and limiting for you. I know this doesn't feel like it now, but this is going to be a good thing.

    I love you so much, and I hate seeing you so hurt and afraid. We will get through this...all of us together, and your womanhood my beautiful swan is not going to be dimininshed one iota...not in my mind....not it reality. I know you are fearing that. I can only tell you that you will learn that reality in the aftermath of this.

    Please feel better, and if you can't do that now, we will hug you through it all and get you well.

    Mine always and all ways:)

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs*

    that is all I have right now. hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:08 PM

    Oh swan, I may not know exactly how *you* feel, but please know that I understand and feel for you. I can only offer hugs and well and a shoulder, an ear or arms should you need them.

    magdala~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loss in any form is still loss. I hope you're giving yourself permission to grieve. My thoughts and warmest *hugs* are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No girlie parts?

    You aren't serious about that, right?

    So long as you have your incredible mind, you are going to always be in posession of your biggest and best girlie part... like always.

    *very big hugs*

    Never ever doubt that you are entirely and hugely a woman... and that it has *nothing* to do with your uterus... and everything to do with *you*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the words of support and love. I am a believer that it is a high calling to sit with one who grieves. You have each done that with me today, and I am grateful.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:58 AM

    Swan,

    Your story could be mine..almost exactly....I finally, too gave up, and said be gone" turns out it was all of my fears were groundless. I had a vaginal hysterectomy, so the recovery and pain were minimal, and the freedom....well you can imagine, on thinking about where I was going, what "supplies I might need, would I embarass myself (or others)....carefree is about what fits it best. And as to my "womanly" feelings....let me tell you, without all the stress, not to mention all the times I was "indisposed" because of heavy bleeding etc....I found I felt, and was sexier than ever. My child bearing days were over, having your period was never much fun anyway, my health and energy improved because I wasn't bleeding all the time.

    Your feelings are certianly valid, but, be careful not to get too hung up on the myth that a uterus, or ovaries for that matter, are what makes you a woman, or sexy, or any less desireable.

    Good luck Swan.....be free!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Dear swan, as a man of course I can't know what you are going through.
    My Mel had uterine cancer with almost the same result as you, she got through it and out through the other side even better as a woman, this I'm sure of, as Kaylem and all the others have said.
    Your spirit is such that you will survive, and come through as an even stronger and better person and woman.
    Hugs :-)
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've known a fair many women now who've had it done, all of them say they are happier/healthier for it.

    It sux, though, hugs to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. swan:
    i was just gonna quietly leave you a big hug....... but i read the very first comment (by Tom) and thought "my god!! what a lucky woman to have such a kind and caring man!"

    Take time to adjust to the new you.. try and see it as a new adventure into the next stage of life... and lean on Tom and all those around you when you need to lean......

    and of course .. one BIG hug coming your way.......

    morningstar (owned by Warren)
    http://wtsubbie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:27 PM

    I had a hysterectomy two years ago, because of fibroids. I read as much as I could on the subject and found a doctor I was comfortable with. I am here to tell you that you will get through it. Give yourself enough time for recovery. Yes there are girlie bits that are removed, and it took time to recover but I feel my sexuality was freed. No more soreness and bleeding.

    It sounds like you have the emotional support you need.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.