Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

11/02/2008

Crotchety Old Woman Raving

I am not feeling "nice" at the moment. I am irritable and crotchety. I am full into a burning desire to cut connections; to prune my link list; to drop my membership on a variety of lists. I am swirling in a torrent of emotions that seem to have arisen in the last few weeks. Chief among the emotional responses that I am feeling these days seems to be some mixture of anger and impatience.



I am resisting. I go through this periodically, and inevitably, I end up wishing I hadn't done what seems so compelling to me in the moment. Usually, after I cut off all the links, I calm down and begin to restore the connections that I've destroyed.



I know that my present frustration has roots in a couple of places.



I recently dropped my membership in a Yahoo group list that was, at least to some degree, aimed at those who practice polyamory. The difficulty that I had, over time with this group was that I continually bumped into their sense of self-righteousness, and arrogance. It was, in theory a place that was supposed to be spiritual and loving and accepting -- largely driven by and people by pagan and wiccan types, but the reality was that it was one of those "in-group" and "out" kinds of situations. It came to seem to me that, just as one finds narrow-mindedness and self-absorption, and wicked exclsivity among those whose spirituality tends to follow a christian path, all those failings are just as common among practitioners of more alternative spiritualities. Perhaps it is the belief that one has somehow touched the "divine" that makes for total butt-wipe behavior.



In the end, the one thing that seemed to be most valued within the "in-group" was their self-declared "juiciness." Now, there is nothing wrong with juiciness in its season, but I can attest that it doesn't last forever. I've mourned the loss of that juiciness -- I've come to terms with the fact of my status in relationship to the celebrated ripeness of womanhood. I know and accept that I'll never travel that path again. There is much to be said for that stage of life that is "juicy." I'd happily travel back in time to live in that place again, but it is not to be. I do, however, reject the presumptive view among my young and robust pagan compatriots that there is no value or wisdom to any other part of the life path. This crone has experience and wisdom to share -- but I'll not force it on anyone, and I'll not spend my energy trying to educate those who believe they've achieved perfect wisdom simply as a function of their "juiciness." Gahhhhhh!



Too, this business with the hearing "event" has shaken me from my moorings again. I was "jazzed" for the appointment on Friday, and to have it end as it did was disappointing, but also aggravating. Where and how am I supposed to find the information that might inform my decisions with regard to this, except in consultation with a healthcare professional? That this doctor was so callous and cavalier about my situation, my hopes, and my fears, makes me question the value of continuing to deal with medical professionals on just about every front. Doctors aren't gods, but they sure as hell seem to think that they might be close. I know that I could chase after this. I know that I could push for further testing; find another doctor; make this a much, much, much bigger deal. In the end, I'd still be exactly in the same place -- hearing what I do, and not hearing those things that I don't. It is, to a degree, about the inevitable diminishments. No real upside to fighting against the march of diminishment. Gahhhhhh!



I've been caught up in the financial stresses of the last few months.



I am nearly hysterical about the possible outcome of this upcoming election.



I am only sometimes "good" about what is and is not physically feasible in my own intimate relating.



I know my frustration is all about my issues. I know that no one "out there" is really causing the upset that I feel. I know that youth and vigor and sexual fullness is not a crime. I know that the medical profession is not in the business of catering to my hopes and dreams. I know, but I am so tender that I simply don't want to have to confront it all just now.



I'm muttering away in my head -- telling myself that pulling into isolation is not helpful or positive. For now, the voice that mutters is winning the argument.



swan

8 comments:

  1. Interesting.
    Personally, this 44-year old long-since-crone didn't interpret the "juicy" posts as anything but one person spilling over with her own happiness and wanting to share it...nothing implied regarding youth, ageism, or anything other than sharing a moment of joy. *shrug* Perhaps your reaction speaks more to your current emotional state, stuff going on, etc? (I know we all do that from time to time - it's easy to read things through our own filters and get messages that were never intended - just ran smack into that wall with my girlfriend this week, actually).

    Whatever the reasons or sources, I hope you feel better and more settled soon. Bottom line - it's important to prune back when you feel over-stretched or stressed out, and no list or blog-site is worth the stress if it's causing you issues. :) I hope you find your peace.
    *hugs*
    Eu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:16 AM

    I went through feeling very much like this just before I left 'cyberia'. Now I'm back, its on much more 'domestic' terms, and that's helped. I don't give myself the stress of links lists....if there not there I don't have to maintain them, and don't have to worry about pruning them or restoring them when I hit the occasional 'funk'.

    Just keep telling yourself that 'this too will pass'....and, if it helps, I'll lend you my 'snuggle blanket' to settle into for a while.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Swan...

    Crotchety is a valid emotional state...One all women understand viscerally...and generally not one that's the least f'in' receptive to any sort of advice or soothing remarks, so I'll spare you any.

    Just bearing witness and hoping for your sake that Tom's thinking what I am...that a nice red ass will likely bring you back to center. *winks and smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:58 AM

    I wonder if it's in the air. I have recently been talking about trying not to pull away and hide from everyone for my own reasons.

    It is very sad how in this country we value the young and almost shun the old. We have this totally back ward. Ok, fresh new ideas are a good thing but age isn't exactly and indicator of who will provide fresh or even good ideas.

    How can we miss that there is wisdom in experience?

    On further note regarding your comments on the yahoo group, I think this is why I tend to stay away from large groups of individuals. I do belong to one or two discussion boards about adult consensual spanking but I usually end up wandering away and/or only visiting very infrequently. The reason is as you pointed out there is always this central group of individuals who think they are above the rest of the world. That drives me insane.

    I do hope things start to turn around and come together for you soon. Don't lose hope!

    hugs,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:17 PM

    Swan,
    I am sorry you are in a bad place. For what its worth, I can relate to some of your frustrations. What seems to help me is to confront only what you have to, not all of it. What do you do with the rest? Deep yoga breaths- in with the good- out with the bad :).
    The election is what is, you can't effect the outcome anymore than you already have by voting.
    As far as your hearing, it doesn't matter what the doctor said. I'm sure 16 years ago they were probably stumped at the cause of the loss, so now the restoration of it (or at least partial restoration) can also be a mystery. All that matters is that you hear what you hear. What if its gone again tommorrow? You most likely can't effect that either- so just enjoy it while you have it.
    I know as well that financial stress is a horrible thing (doubled in your case, because of the volunteer office you hold), that stress I have yet to find relief from either.
    Deep yoga breaths- maybe they will help.

    I hope your feeling better soon.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:04 PM

    swan, please keep muttering. We need your voice to help keep the balance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swan

    We like the crotchety old woman raving. Although you know damn well that you are neither crotchety nor old, now raving, well I am not sure about that one {smile}.

    Hil

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swan,

    Maybe it's in the air. I have been feeling much the same way.

    I know for myself, it is the combination of "all of the above" that has worn me down. How I appreciate your willingness to always be so open and honest.

    I don't have a solution, but you are not alone.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.