Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

11/16/2008

Once, I Called You Friend...

Well, another "Love Our Lurkers" Day has come and gone thanks in very large part to the efforts of Bonnie at My Bottom Smarts. I don't know, as I write this, if there are any numbers to show how many of us participated, or how many comments were left around our circle, but I know from the small bit of the community that I touched that there was plenty of participation. And that's a good thing I think.


It has caused me to ponder the notion of friends and acquaintances and the whole idea of community in general. I do seem to come back to that on a pretty regular basis. Oh well.


The thing that seems to be generated in me by the kind of exchange that happens on LOL Day is a sense of my own lack of over-flowing friendliness. I end up feeling surly and unfriendly.


I / we receieved some marvelous, wonderfully kind and generous comments, and I was honored and humbled by the sentiments that were expressed. Many of those came from people who really were "lurkers." They clearly had been around, reading "unseen" for some length of time. I also went from place to place leaving comments -- although, to be honest, I made comments that were pretty perfunctory. I did the equivalent of "sending holiday greeting cards" to the people on my list. Because, most of the places where I left comments were not really places that I read. Truthfully, if I read your writing, I make comments on a pretty regular basis as things stir my consciousness (not all the time, but consistently). If there are never any comments from me on your site, then chances are that I don't read there -- even if I keep your link up here.


My circle of "intimates" is pretty small. I am not one to gather a vast flock of "girl-friends." I invest most of my energy and attention in two places -- first, here at home where my focus must be singular and intense, and secondly, with my students. Their learning, their comfort, their emotional and intellectual well-being is a huge priority of my days. I simply don't have the time or energy to read every word that gets written out here in the spanking-circle, although surely much of it is likely to be interesting and worthwhile.


Actually, I think I was already in this mode of deep contemplation on the notion of friendship because I had some pretty intense and challenging IM conversations just after the election with a woman who was a very early compatriot on one listserve where I spent time when I was first exploring domestic discipline. We probably called each other "friend" in those days. Then I went the way I did, and she and her husband took another path. We lost touch for a number of years.


A while back -- probably two years ago now, she came back into my life. I'm not sure exactly how that came to be, but we began chatting now and again. Except that I have found that chatting with her is generally not a particularly satisfying process. She is one of those people who seem to find a way to make all IM conversations revolve entirely around themselves. If my "friend" gets around to a cursory "How are you?" she is almost always perfectly satisfied to hear "I'm fine" before she continues her ramble about her kids and her dogs and her church and... It usually isn't too long before I'm weary and hoping to find a way to escape.


I've pretty much ended my contact with her. There are circumstances to that ending, but it doesn't matter. The fact is that it felt like a relationship that didn't offer me the sustenance that I needed if I were going to keep investing energy there.


In the end, it is illustrative of my feelings in the aftermath of LOL Day. Friendship is something that I cherish. I can be a good friend, but I am no good at being a casual friend. I invest in the people that I care about. I think about those people and I wonder about their lives and I read their stories with care and thought. I've never laid eyes on most of the people that I currently call friends, but I feel solidly connected to them just the same.


I went back to My Bottom Smarts, after it was all over, and took a quick look at the list of participants in this year's festivities. So many people that I have no awareness of at all; way more than I have time to get to know. I go down through that list and feel glad for the diversity and extent of this community, and I am clear that I haven't got the capacity to participate with even a fraction of that group of folks. I imagine that, if I could spend time with all of them, there might be friends hiding in that list. I just don't know who they might be, and I cannot see how I'd ever find the hours and hours it would take to get to know them.


I am feeling conflicted by this. I feel bad that I am not more sociable. But then I feel resentful for being pushed toward a sociableness that I don't feel or embrace. I've taken part in LOL Day for a couple of years now, and may again. I just need to get straight what I think it really is, and what it is not.


I guess that is just the state of my thinking at the present -- unsettled and uncertain.


swan

6 comments:

  1. I have similar feelings at times about the number of people who want to hold online friendships. I am frequently contacted by those who want my support and encouragement, but it usually becomes a situation in which I am doing all the giving and they are doing all the taking. It is draining. While I like to offer my support to others, I don't have the emotional energy to support every person who crosses my path. Its not even so much a matter of time as it is energy.

    I comment on a few blogs with content that holds meaning to me. I don't choose them because I think the writers will be friends. I choose them because the content brings me nourishment. It makes me think. If time brings a friendship of my reading, wonderful. If it doesn't, I enjoy that person from afar and I don't worry about closeness. There's lots of other blogs on my Reader. If they have a good first sentence and the paragraph that follows is attention grabbing, they will get my attention perhaps, but most are deleted without reading. I don't have the time or the energy to read them daily. Perhaps a couple times a month, a post will be interesting enough to read and they might get a comment. If I've got time and can add to the conversation.

    I guess what I mean to say is that I feel only the responsibility to be polite and friendly to my readers. I don't feel obligated to be fast friends with other bloggers. If it happens, it does.

    But I do frequently feel the urge to please about this. I want others to feel appreciated by my readership and by me commenting. But I don't feel that urge strongly enough to misuse my time to do it.

    I don't think we are alone in these feelings either. I've heard other bloggers express this many times.

    I enjoy my reading here. Its nourishing to me. I comment on the posts that hold meaning to me. And I don't feel you're obligated to read my blog or to comment, just because I read here. Many people do, but I am not one of them. I actually had one person leave me a comment about how I was obligated and rude to not comment on her blog, just because she commented on mine and that I owed her a reciprocal link on my blog too, since she'd put one up to my blog. *rolls eyes* I politely replied to her of course, but its the same as the telephone to me. Just because it rings, doesn't mean I have to pick it up. Neither am I obligated to answer a door bell. Its my house. I get to decide. So do you. *smiles*

    I figure the real friends will find me and that it will occur naturally and easily when it does happen.

    I'm sorry you are so uncertain of late. It does seem you've been rattled for awhile. Sending you some warm thoughts. Blessings. *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:47 AM

    You'll already know from past conversations we've had that I understand and also feel much of what you and Greenwoman have both said here.

    When I first moved into 'cyberia' I felt obliged to answer every comment and to comment on any blog where the writer commented on mine. Now, like you and Greenwoman, I tend to comment if something I read touches me in some way. I only have a handful of blogs (including this one) I visit daily - largely due to time constraints and where I choose to focus my energy.

    On LOL day, I'm not sure I commented anywhere. On the sites where I do tend to comment, however infrequently, I don't class myself as a 'lurker' and so didn't feel the need. On the sites where I read, but have not felt moved to comment LOL day was unlikely to be the catalyst for change.

    As you know, I came back to 'cyberia' partly because it was an easy way of staying in touch with friends I've made here, something I continue to struggle to find time for through IM and email. Its also somewhere to share my thoughts whenever I find the time to write.

    I too have occasionally felt conflicted, unsociable, when contact through whatever means has been irregular. I comfort myself with the thought that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and that friends like you understand its about quality not quantity....winks.

    lots of love and cuddles

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL day meant something different to me... i must admit...

    i am more than a little anal to try and figure out why i have so many visitors and so few comments... other people get lots of comments why don't i?? (see me stamp my foot and pout)

    So LOL day seems a perfect excuse to try and drag these lurkers into the daylight..

    it doesn't really work for me.. oh i got 20 comments - but mostly from folks who already comment from time to time on The Journey..

    i put up a map to see where folks came from.. and tried to get them to identify the country they came from - anonymously - and that didn't work either..

    i am guessing i will always be plagued by lurkers and just have to suck it up...

    do i call my commenters friends?? nope - not really .... i have a handful .. maybe 3 or 4 that i do indeed call "friend" because the relationship has moved on from infrequent comments to emails.. and genuine caring for each other..

    i guess - in the light of day - those are the only ones who really matter .........

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:12 AM

    Ah, morningstar. And I feel guilty because I do get comments - and I have no idea why. I don't feel like I deserve them, certainly not any more than the other bloggers out there who write more eloquently, are funnier, cuter, more, better, blah blah blah.

    I felt sure I'd lose some when I stopped replying to each comment. I used to drive myself crazy trying to get back to everyone and I don't anymore. I do it if I have time, I don't if I don't have time (or don't want to) yet no one seems to mind either way. Which is how I feel when I leave a comment somewhere, too. I don't expect, or wait for, a reply back to my comment, yet I assumed anyone talking to me would.

    I didn't do LOL day because I was too ashamed of looking like I was asking for comments, looking too greedy when I already feel like I have more than my share. Gah. What we don't do to ourselves in the name of blogging.

    "I feel bad that I am not more sociable. But then I feel resentful for being pushed toward a sociableness that I don't feel or embrace."

    You plucked that right from my own head. I *am* sociable, in my own way, in the limited amount that suits me, which, I might add, changes from day to day. And I'm so so tired of feeling guilty because I'm not a social butterfly, or because I didn't read or comment to someone, someone who might consider ME a friend but who I barely even know (or don't know at all. Blogging can be one-sided but I'm not sure everyone realizes that it's one-sided, you know?) I'm really at the point where I want to circle the wagons around my "chosen few" and not have to think about who I'm missing out on.

    ... I'm babbling incoherently. Sometimes I read something, like this entry, and it sparks something, or lots of somethings, and I can't make sense of it no how. But rather than risk the chance of losing it and ending up NOT commenting on a friend's blog(!) I toss it out there and hope for the best. :-)

    kaya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my goodness! Seems I did step into a thought stream that flows through several of our minds. I think that is interesting since I had a very hard time making what I thought and felt about all of this seem even a little bit coherent -- even to me.

    Greenwoman -- I so appreciate your participation here, and the depth of thought you bring to that. I very much like your analogy to answering the phone or the doorbell. I have no trouble at all leaving the phone to ring. I've always assumed that was an artifact of coming of age in the era of landline phones when, if a person was away from the phone, they simply couldn't be reached -- and life went on just fine.
    Too, it is good to find someone else who believes that friendships grow when and as they will, and is willing to let that occur naturally. Smile :-)

    M:e -- I do absolutely understand that you and I share similar views and experiences with this particular issue. I've been very glad to have you back in the blogging arena simply because it feels easier to keep up with you that way, and I missed you terribly when you went away.
    I think that when you write, you are writing to me and for me. I may or may not comment, but each time I read at your place, I feel like I've spent time with a kindred soul.

    Morningstar -- What can I tell you about all those nameless, faceless, lurkers that so bedevil you? There really is likely no way to convince them to step up and behave like well-brought up human beings. The internet seems to encourage that sort of peeping at windows behavior in some people. I don't imagine most lurkers would find it appropriate to peer into their neighbors windows, or snatch their mail out of their mailbox and read it -- but they have no qualms at all about hanging around in the shadows of our Blogs and partaking of the tidbits of our lives without so much as a "how do you do?"
    Really!

    kaya -- Yours is the "embarassment of riches" problem I think. You get so many comments sometimes that I just shake my head. I don't know how you do it. I'd think it would feel overwhelming sometimes.
    I do think that your sense of being sociable in a limited way that "suits" you points to something that I wonder about. I wonder if, for some of us in power relationships, it is part of our nature to be a bit selective and discriminating in our social choices? It seems to me that many of the people that I have connected with in this medium have been, like me, willing to forego a vast number of casual relationships in favor of a few very intense and important ones... Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'm just imagining that.

    Anyway, thank you all for sharing your thoughts on the subject.

    hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't participate in LOL because I knew it wouldn't help...I knew I wouldn't get comments. I see the numbers on my stats and know I am getting lots of people reading. I just think I have a sign hanging somewhere that must say "stay away." When I first added comments (as comments wasn't a feature when I first started blogging), I got a lot of comments. And so many at times that I turned them off for a while. Because I felt obligated to reply and engage. But then...really I think it is when I became Master's my time just became more filled with him so I didn't have time to engage. And comments dropped off.

    Of the people that I have met through my blog over the year only a few I can say are friends. But as you know this is something I have written about a few times...I have such problems maintaining any friendships even though I crave them. So even if I find like minded people I enjoy - I am not always able to keep them as friends because I just don't have the time or energy put into it. And if I do try and not able to give it my all - I understand when they have to pull away because of that.

    When I have friends like you describe where it is all about them. I usually don't keep in contact with them much and soon they find someone else who will listen as when I do have the time/energy to talk with friends...I want it to be a mutual friendship not just one way.

    I do read you blog even if I don't comment. You are someone whose words I appreciate more then I can ever express. Thank you for sharing yourself so freely!

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.