Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

1/19/2009

About "Rules"



Not long ago, from out of the wilderness of the Internet, a message came up on one of my lists from a person who identified as a "Master." The message was titled "For Discussion and Comment," and consisted of a list of rules for would be submissives.


OK.


I won't even get into the content of this little bit of writing. In my view, the rules that were listed were contradictory at best, and illustrated a lack of self-awareness and personal character in their darker aspects.


But then, I suppose I'd have seen a lack regardless of WHAT was written there no matter what. The reason for that is simple: I think conversations begin with "hello." I think that the foundation for power-exchange is some sort of relationship that connects two human persons, and it is my belief that relationship is not defined by rules, but by the kind of knowing that grows when we spend a bit of time with one another.


When did we all get into such an all-fired hurry that we came to believe that basic interpersonal courtesies were superfluous and entirely unnecessary?


I "get it" that knowing who you are and what you want/need is a really important part of building successful relationships. I have no problem with identifying that you are dominant or submissive or sadistic or masochistic or switchy or poly -- or whatever collection of labels you believe describe your particular orientation. That's a very good thing. I just do not agree that being X, Y, or Z releases any of us from being human, and humans are social creatures. We are more than our sexual/erotic orientations -- hence the value of beginning at the beginning with one another.


I like "hello." I like coming to know who you are beyond the fact that you own a whip. I like knowing what makes you laugh, what makes you angry, what you believe in, what you will work for in the world. How is it that people, and perhaps especially submissive people, allow themselves to be "taken in" by someone with a fancy name and a list of rules -- and nothing at all to offer of substance? That just amazes me. If there is one place in the entire constellation of my relationships where I do not want to be connected to "an empty shirt," that would be inside of my power-based dynamic. It is never particularly easy to maintain this kind of relating, but I believe it would be nearly impossible with someone who had nothing much to offer but a list of rules.

swan

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21 PM

    swan, this post touched me on multiple levels. Bottom line, how can we forget to be people first? I have written a whole post on the subject as there was too much to clog your comments with. Thanks for the inspiration. It was timely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Hi Swan:
    I am new to your blog, but I am enjoying reading your posts. I hope it's okay to comment here. I really like what you have to say. Because first and foremost, it's not about labels, its about being a human being first. We are so quick to want to label and judge, I know that I am guilty of this, but its nice when we can put that aside and just be caring humans first.
    An excellent post, thanks for sharing
    Andrades Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 PM

    Hi Swan,

    I find it amazing as well. I can't believe what some people will say to a total stranger when they're sitting at a keyboard, safe in their anonymity online. Would they go up to a total stranger and begin any other conversation that way? Does the fact that we're kinky mean we have given up the basic right to courtesy and respect? I think not!

    People seem to be in such a rush to jump into the water that they leap without really checking out what they're jumping into and with whom.

    Thank you for this. I've been trying to explain this very thing to a couple of new friends.

    Bethie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:43 AM

    You're in very good company here if the other comments are to go by. I like 'hello' to, along with all the other good manners and general etiquette. It costs nothing, but its value is immense.

    As for rules, if there's one thing I've learned since being part of this community is that one size never fits all....every couple will work out there own way, their own 'rules' and even those won't always stay the same as things evolve.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've written in the past about how, when I met my lover on-line, the conversation started with my saying "Hi" to which he responded "Hello." That hello really got to me, because it was, just as you say, friendly, appropriate, and because he stopped there, also indicative of the fact that he was ready to listen. And dialogue. We got around to the juicy bits quickly enough, but I really agree that relationships should always, always start with hello.

    Nicely said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the things I've learned as part of a 24/7 relationship is that the kink and all that goes with it does not actually happen 24/7. In fact it can be more challenging to make time for the fun stuff when living in real life - work, care for the house, a child, pets, family, and all the mundane necessities of life.

    When we were dating there was actually more of the "juicy" stuff!

    So yes, be sure there are things in common, shared interests, and other "vanilla" things that are good between you, before jumping into negotiations and working out details of the kinky variety.

    Like starting with "Hello" - instead of "on your knees b**ch". (Yes, believe it or not that has been said to me in the past, as an opening introduction, the firsts words uttered.) ummm - no.

    Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:39 AM

    Hi swan,

    I have been a lurker here for the longest time. Never really commented cos I felt a bit stupid and your posts are always so good.

    I like this post and can relate to it totally.

    hugs

    bliss
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.