Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/30/2009

It Had to Start Somewhere

Here's an article about the incipient movement to push for equal marriage rights for multi-partnered relationships, specifically "triads." Although I'd take issue with some of the, to my mind, narrow definitions that are layed on the term, especially be Sasha Lessin and Janet Kira Lessin, I am still pleased to see that this issue is being discussed.

swan


From "THREESOME MARRIAGES" by Abby Ellin:

First came traditional marriage. Then, gay marriage. Now, there's a movement combining both—simultaneously. Abby Ellin visits the next frontier of nuptials: the "triad."
Less than 18 months ago, Sasha Lessin and Janet Kira Lessin gathered before their friends near their home in Maui, and proclaimed their love for one another. Nothing unusual about that—Sasha, 68, and Janet, 55—were legally married in 2000. Rather, this public commitment ceremony was designed to also bind them to Shivaya, their new 60-something "husband." Says Sasha: “I want to walk down the street hand in hand in hand in hand and live together openly and proclaim our relationship. But also to have all those survivor and visitation rights and tax breaks and everything like that.”
Maine this week became the fifth state, and the fourth in New England, to legalize gay marriage, provoking yet another national debate about same-sex unions. The Lessins' advocacy group, the Maui-based World Polyamory Association, is pushing for the next frontier of less-traditional codified relationships. This community has even come up with a name for what the rest of the world generally would call a committed threesome: the "triad."
Unlike open marriages and the swinger days of the 1960s and 1970s, these unions are not about sex with multiple outside partners. Nor are they relationships where one person is involved with two others, who are not involved with each other, a la actress Tilda Swinton. That's closer to bigamy. Instead, triads—"triangular triads," to use precise polyamorous jargon—demand that all three parties have full relationships, including sexual, with each other. In the Lessins case, that can be varying pairs but, as Sasha, a psychologist, puts it, "Janet loves it when she gets a double decker." In a triad, there would be no doubt in Elizabeth Edwards’ mind whether her husband fathered a baby out of wedlock; she likely would have participated in it.
There are no statistics or studies out there, but according to Robyn Trask, the executive director of Loving More, a nonprofit organization in Loveland (yes, really), Colorado, dedicated to poly-education and support, about 25 percent of the estimated 50,000 self-identified polyamorists in the U.S. live together in semi-wedded bliss. A disproportionate number of them are baby boomers.

As with a couple, the key to making a triad work is communication. The Lessins' group specifically advocates something called "compersion": taking joy in another person's joy. Thus, they know how to process jealousy. “We don’t have anything take place off-stage,” says Sasha Lessin. “You witness your lover making googly eyes and you share your feelings. It’s not difficult for most people to be compersive once they feel they’re not being abandoned.”
Like most people in the poly community, the Lessins, who also helm the school of tantra (they take pleasure of the flesh quite seriously), take great pains to discuss pretty much everything. Some people even write up
their agreements like a traditional prenup, detailing everything from communal economics to cohabitation rules. And buoyed by an increasing acceptance of same-sex unions, others want more legal protections. "We should have every right to inherit from each other and visit each other—I don’t care what you call it, we’re not second-class citizens!” says Janet Lessin. “Any people who wish to form a marriage with all the rights and duties of a marriage should have the legal right to. The spurious arguments of marriage being for procreation of children is ridiculous.”
That said, Valerie White, executive director of the Sexual Freedom Legal Defense and Education Fund, a legal-defense fund for people with alternative sexual expression in Sharon, Massachusetts, says she believes that triads are actually a great way to raise a family. "Years ago, children didn’t get raised in dyads, they got raised with grandparents and aunts and uncles—it was much looser and more village-like," says White. "I think a lot more people are finding that polyamory is a way to recapture that kind of support.” For a year, Loving More's Trask and her then-husband were both involved with another woman, who was a part of the family. Trask's three children knew all about it. “I’m totally out,” says Trask.
Many others aren't. Larry, Rachel and Andie would only talk to me anonymously, due to the fact that Rachel, 47, works at large, traditional financial institution in Manhattan. Larry, 56, met her on a commuter ferry two years ago. At the time, Larry was a member of
Poly-NYC, a polyamory group in New York; on their first date, he told her about it. Rachel had just gotten out of a year-and-a-half-long relationship with, unbeknownst to her, a married man. “I was so overwhelmed with Larry’s honesty," she says, "I said to him, ‘I need to look that up and understand it.'"
A few months later, they met Andie, 56 at a poly retreat in upstate New York. Andie has been has practiced "multi-partnering" since the early '90s, and was giving a talk on the subject. Rachel turned to Larry and said ‘Wow, that’s someone I would turn poly for!’ “She was so elegant and classy. I just felt she was a beautiful person.”
While Larry, on the other hand, was not especially attracted to Andie, he was fully supportive of Rachel exploring her attraction. She didn’t, but ran into Andie at a few other events. Andie, in turn, began noticing the quality of the relationship between Larry and Rachel. “They didn’t just go to those meetings and do what happens to other poly partners, that they disappear from each other,” she says. “They stayed together.”
Three months ago, they reconnected at yet another retreat, and this time the three bonded on an emotional level. So they decided to figure out how to make a three-way relationship work. This involves weekly conference calls where they discuss the tenets of the relationship (honestly, respect, communication, jealousy) and agree to undergo blood tests for STDs. They talk about what they want out of life, and each other. “There are people who’ve been married 20 years and never had these kinds of conversation,” says Andie. “I feel blessed.”
Akien MacIain and his wife, Dawn Davidson, have been counseling dyads, triads, quads and once even a quint, in San Francisco for over a decade. On their
Web site, they offer tips for creating agreements—among them, “Use Time Limited Agreements Where Needed” (i.e., two weeks, two months, and so on) and “Check in Periodically; Renegotiate if Needed.”
“A triad is a series of dyads, but it’s more complicated because if I’m in a relationship with one other person, there’s my relationship with the other person, her relationship with me, and the relationship that each of us has to the couple,” says MacIain. “When you make it a triad there are four factorial connections. It’s very hard.”
And yet some make it work. Doug Carr, Robert Hill, and Paul Wilson have been a happy threesome for 29 years. The three men, who live outside Austin, Texas, share a bed, a checking account, and joint real-estate properties in each of their names—“a left-handed form of cementing the relationship in a legal context,” says Hill, 69, a retired financier (because of their arrangement, they, too, requested I use pseudonyms). Their ranch is split three ways; they call themselves “husbands” and wear matching wedding bands. Back in 1980, when they met at a furniture store in Dallas, Hill and Wilson were a confirmed dyad for 10 years. Carr, now an assistant dean at a local college, fell for both of them; they developed a friendship, which soon turned to love.
Wilson, 61, a consulting engineer for the health-care community, admits that initially he was less gung ho. “I thought, how is this going to turn out? You can’t read an article in Readers Digest, ‘Twelve Ways to make a Triad Work.’" He finally saw the light on a trip to Vienna the three men took. “I decided to go for it. I turned to them and said, ‘I love you,’ and I love you,’ and let’s make it work.”
They held a commitment ceremony in 1984 for 20 friends, and then a reception for 200 in their house, where we “introduced ourselves to the world as a triad,” says Carr, 49. They would like to marry legally, though they are not holding their breath that it will happen any time soon.
“As far as we’re concerned, in the eyes of God we’re already married—and from an economic standpoint, we’ve taken that as far as we can, ” says Hill.
Despite the fact that they are also “Dad, Daddy and Pappa” to the 4-year-old quadruplets Carr sired with a lesbian couple, they actually see themselves as quite traditional. “We’ve patterned our relationship on the relationships of our parents,” says Hill. “So many gay people throw away all the values they learned at home. Some are worth throwing away, but a lot are not."
“The crux of all this,” he says, "is commitment.”

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:17 AM

    When you get right down to it Triad marrige will never work, the Wife will never be willing to give up her alpha position(as much as she claims she will), to let the third be given equal standing and an equal anniversary. Even if it is legalized. Truth of poly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that there are challenges including jealousy. But yes of course it can work.

    I like the clarity of the concept of compersion here. I don't think I have ever understood what it meant before.

    thanks,
    Sin

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCUSE ME!

    I guess I would be considered the "alpha position" in our triad, when using anonymous' definition. And I would be THRILLED TO SHARE Tom in a MARRIED relationship with Swan!!!

    Blanket statements like that are the reason people do not understand the nuances of polyamory.

    If you had taken the time to read the previous post "Seven Years", you would have seen that we do, INDEED, honor the anniversary of Swan coming to us. It is treated the same at Tom's and my wedding anniversary, which falls 10 days later. And I would be equally thrilled to honor their/our wedding anniversary as a triad WHEN that day occurs.

    Some people just never get it.

    And that is the "Truth of Poly"!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I had to roll my eyes at the part about how the 70's "open marriages" were all about "swinging" and sex and making it seem as if the notion of multiple people living together in a committed relationship is Brand New Under the Sun and all. Because my husband and his best friend and I had a "triad" way back in the day, yup, in 1975. They shared me and I shared them and we made plans to build a house together and even have children together. We were not "swingers" and it wasn't really an open marriage, although we called it that from a lack of knowing any term to express what we were.

    We got the idea from Heinlein's plots/ideas and especially from the books "The Harrad Experiment" and "Proposition 32" (I think it was 32...31? Anyway...). (Another sidenote: I tried to re-read these books a few years back and was amused to notice how badly written they are, lol, but that's neither here nor there, just a funny observation on how my taste has changed in authors' styles, heh)

    We were young and idealistic and we thought it was a GREAT idea. And surely it wasn't a "new" idea back in the 60's/70's, either. There have been three-ways, four-ways, etc., relationships in various cultures for millennia.

    They have never been the norm, but they've been around forever.

    Anyway, aside from being slightly irked by that part, I'm glad it's being discussed in a non-hysterical, "omg, it's the end of the world" way too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Calm down t, there were fools who also said humans would never fly, if we were meant to travel in cars we would have been created with wheels, etc.

    The reality is that if one moves beyond the ignorance based perspective of most people in the Western world, anthroplogically, plural marriage is more prevelant world wide than diadic.

    Anonymous, BTW there is an Alpha member in this triad and it isn't a wife, and we are doing just fine, on the verge of a 7th anniversary and going strong thank you very much. Research indicates there are over 10,000 poly families in the U. S. and while they have their ups and downs just as traditional relationships do, in general they are just fine.

    I do object in this article to the idea that in order to be a "real triad" all three members must be sexually involved. We have often encountered this bias in the poly activist community, usually combined with woo woo neo-paganism, that we are not a real poly family because we are neither gay nor bi. History always seems to recur cyclically. The Puritans left England for the New World to escape religious persecution. They then settled here and immediately persecuted the Quakers. Now we have polyamorissts who have decided they have the purer form of polyamory who would advocate that only families whose sexual expressions are like theirs should be allowed to marry legally. It is because of that glaring falsehood that we only called this, "It Has to Start Somewhere." This piece, as wrong-headed as it is, at least broaches the subject in public discourse. We have no problem with people being gay and bi within plural relationships or couples, in fact we are avid gay rights activists, but we three simply happen to be straight.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber, your comment went up while I was making mine. Isn't it interesting how people who generally cannot even remember the seventies, let alone the sixties, can now write about the "legitimacy" of what happened then.

    I loved your comment and would only dispute the factual basis of the statement that threesomes, foursomes, over time have never been the majority. In fact they have. Perhaps you'd be interested in The Origens of Modern Monogamy (http://theswansheart.blogspot.com/2005/07/origins-of-modern-monogamy.html), in part it discusses the history of polyamory/polygamy and its anthropological prevalence.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Good point, Tom. Well, that's what I get for using the word "never". Never use "never" when discussing *anything* online, hehehe. Someone is bound to trip you up and point out you're wrong.

    Mea culpa! :) I'll blame it on not having coffee yet.

    Btw, FYI, I'm wired monogamously. I cannot commit to more than one person at a time. I know because I've tried. Which is why our triad didn't make it. The guys were willing but I fell for one of them hard and didn't have feelings for the other anymore. Same thing happened with my ex and Dan. I lost what was left of the romantic feelings I had for my soon-to-be ex once I met Dan. Although at one point, because my ex was in so much pain, I did seriously bring up trying a triad again (I do like that word, btw). But although my ex was somewhat willing, Dan was not and it's a good thing because it would have been a sham, at least as far as I am concerned.

    As a result, I blindly made the extremely self-centered assumption that the way I feel must be the way *everyone* feels. Right? hehehe...

    Of course, gradually, I realized we're all wired differently and not everyone is monogamous. Just as not all men are dominant, nor are all women submissive, not everyone is straight, etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber, if you truly are feeling culpable, should we meet, I would be more than happy to assist you in preforming penance to assuage your guilt:)

    I understand that you, like most of our culture, feels you are wired for monogamy. I happen to feel that actually if all of us were left to our own designs free of our aculturation, and particularly our religious indoctrination, we would be non-monogamous. I think that is demonstrated by our phenomenally high divorce and adultery rate. But that is, of course, just my opinion and perspective.

    I find it interesting that poly folks do not feel threatened by people who choose to be monogamous in the slightest. You have never, nor, I suspect, will you ever hear of poly folks advocating that monogamy should be made illegal, or is somehow morally deficient. Why are monogamists so threatened and defensive. Can it be that they recognize deep down that their lifestyle choice flies in the face of human nature and would not be sustained as the majority lifestyle choice, if all options for pursuing life, liberty, and happiness were to be put on the table with equal standing?

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the offer to "assuage" my guilt, but, um...no. Not my bag. :)

    As far as why some/most monogamous folk are threatened by poly, all I can speak of knowledgeably are my own feelings about it. It isn't because I secretly believe deep down that poly is the "real truth", as you say, because I know for me that isn't true. I can't commit to two or more people at once; I know this because I've tried. More than once, now.

    You can't force blood out of a turnip (where on EARTH did that quote come from? lol) and I can't force myself to commit romantically to more than one man at a time.

    Just like I don't have any sexual feelings towards women and never have. It's FINE if other women want to be together, go for it. Men, whatever. Get married, go for it, be happy. I was NOT a supporter for Prop 8 here in CA and was crushed when the supreme court upheld it last week. Of all the states to be so backwards, it's just embarrassing. :(

    So if I had sexual feelings for women, or wanted to do a triad, trust me, nothing would stop me. I'm...highly driven when I want something. Heh.

    When I was worried/concerned about people doing poly, it was simply because of what I said before; I believed because it caused ME strife and grief then it must cause *everyone* strife and grief. Yes, that's a simplistic and ego-driven view but hey! I never said I was perfect. :)

    As far as why other monogamous types feel the way they do towards poly, I can only theorize why people feel threatened the way they do. Whether it's because someone is gay or because they are poly or D/s; lots of fears out there. If they're conservative Christian, that's a big reason to be threatened right there. Conservative Christians appear to be threatened by almost everything different or unusual, lol!

    Also, women can be threatened by the idea of poly from fears over being discarded in favor of a younger or more attractive woman. Especially as women age and lose our perceived physical value, at least as far as society goes, most women don't want competition for their male. Especially since most males do not lose in value the way most women still do in our society.

    Plus there is a strong sense of tradition when it comes to doing what one's parents' did, etc.

    So you have religion, tradition and fear of abandonment.

    But you guys surely beyond a doubt know more about all this than I do; I haven't researched the topic much, these are just my opinions.

    I don't come here because I'm interested in poly; I read here because of Swan's submissive feelings; many of them have been so close to mine (although she hasn't written about them for a while, now (SWAN! *grins*)).

    Just as I read many M/s blogs for the female submissive's perceptions and feelings, even though we are not M/s and I have zero desire to be M/s.

    But I AM submissive and I'm always on the lookout for kindred submissive women to read and relate to.

    I also read here because of the recent surgery for you and T and how Swan took such good care of all of you, that touched my heart.

    Anyway, yeah, although I personally don't have a problem with poly *now*, I did once but it was more out of ignorance and self-centeredness than because I personally feel threatened or because I think I'm missing out or something. Because I've done it before. And it just wasn't my cuppa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amber, please feel free to come express your opinions here anytime. I suspect your analysis that religion, tradition, and fear (all three facets of the same monolith) are likely motivating factors in the reactionary response that polyamory evokes.

    Too, I suspect most of us respond more often than not based on our own experience, and self-centeredly assuming everyone else's experience will be the same. I fear I have done this all too often myself.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.