Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

5/23/2009

Rituals, Protocols, and Patterns

Awhile back, in response to my post about rebooting, Amber asked --

...must rebooting always be ... so completely dire ... what worked much better for me by far were the times I was quietly told to kneel, my chin held firm so I had to look up into his face and I had to meet his eyes ...



In fact, Amber has wondered on more than one occasion about the efficacy of "kneeling" for helping me to center and calm myself in the context of our dynamic. I've been mulling her comments/questions on that subject over for awhile, trying to figure out what to say because, simply put, it just isn't the way He does things.





As with just about everything in the world of BDSM practice, there are as many different variations as there are people who do what it is that we do. From the complex and formal "slave positions" of those who model their practice on the Gor novels, to those who have lengthy contracts and lists of rules, to others who ascribe to Old Guard Leather protocols, there are ceremonies and formulas to spare. Whether a person is interested in negotiating a single scene, or going off to meet a potential play partner for the first time, or considering the offer or acceptance of a collar, or establishing the limits, boundaries, and expectations of an ongoing relationship, ours is a community that puts enormous stock in the pagentry of it all. A casual read from blog to blog around our circle, and it is possible to harvest a bushel full of ideas for BDSM rituals.



But you'll read very little of that here. The reason is that it just isn't part of how we relate most of the time.



Oh, it is true that we have some pretty consistent patterns and expectations for our actual play sessions. It is the one place where I am expected, no required, to use the honorific "Sir." And it is also true, that He has a very definitive "philosophy" about the use of safe words, although as far as either of us can remember, I've never once used a safeword with Him. I've communicated to Him, occasionally, that I have had some difficulty or problem (and He's moved to resolve whatever it was), but I've never moved to end a session with a safeword.



His expectations are very simple -- He wants to be cared for and loved; to have what He wants and needs provided smoothly and without His having to cause it to happen. He wants to be treated with respect and deference. He wants a willing play partner who will submit to His sadistic drives. He is not interested in layering on rules or rituals that require the two of us to put energy into the whethers and what ifs of enforcement and continuous correction.



I'd happily kneel at His feet if He wanted that. He generally prefers me where He can snuggle me into His chest. I'd do my level best to follow any rules He wanted to put into place, but I believe He sees no value in rules for the sake of rules.



I understand that the "formalized" rituals that so many ascribe to are intended to establish a certain mental frame of mind. I understand that it may be "easier" in some ways to maintain that sense of submission with all of those routines, but He is generally not willing to invest that much energy in something which doesn't produce anything pleasurable for Him.



So, I understand the suggestion that Amber makes, and I really do appreciate the thought, but it isn't the way my world works. I can only imagine how all that "fru-fru" slavish stuff would be, but in the end, what we do is just fine for us.



swan

3 comments:

  1. Swan, thank you for explaining. :)

    We have very few rituals too. I don't call Dan by a special name like "Master" or "Sir", he considers all that stuff "fru-fru", as you put it, and he doesn't expect me to act or behave in any special way except as myself. I do have certain routines I enjoy doing for him, making his breakfast, bringing him things, etc., and sometimes we DO enjoy a formal "scene" with some bondage and whatnot. Mostly what Dan enjoys is verbally humiliating me along with some physical humiliation too.

    But other than that, basically he wants the same from me that Tom wants from you; just my respect and love and care.

    As you say correctly, kneeling puts me in a certain frame of mind and Dan knows this so he uses it for that purpose. If I'm feeling combative or distant or resentful or frustrated or anything like that, being told to kneel in front of Dan instantly pokes holes in all my resistance.

    It's more of a tool for him to use on me than a ritual. More of a "fix the wife" screwdriver/pliers thing, hehehe. He could not care less if I kneel or not, I mean, he doesn't *dislike* it, I'm sure he finds it pleasant and all, he likes the sight of me kneeling but it's not something he need-needs for himself, it's more something he thinks *I* need.

    But I understand it doesn't work for everyone.

    Just like spanking doesn't work for me and god knows I often feel I'm the only sub in the world who isn't "into" spankings. Heh.

    I lack the spanking gene, it seems. I got most of the other stuff, tho! :)

    Anyway, thanks again for explaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to me, what both you and Amber both agree on is the rituals and way you interact is unique to the relationships YOU both have - which is true of any real life relationship.

    And I agree that what works for one does not always work for another - becuase the reality is there are REAL people here - people with their own mindsets, baggage and needs and issues. Unique again, for them.

    There are some parallels I note - centering onself can come in a different guise but the end result is the same.

    A lot of what I see online I think is the fantasy part - and all very fun to play at if that is what you are into - but as you put it- focusing too much on ritual takes to much attention away from the reality of what is desired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the fantasy vs reality thing, selkie and swan, there are two things that come to mind. One, I realized after reading so many others for so many years that for many/some, the fantasy itself IS the kink. The disobeying, the drama, all that...that IS their kink, that's what it's all about for them. They really don't want it peaceful; they like the adrenaline rush of always being in trouble/always discipling another.

    They don't want to get it "right". Getting it right would be the end of the fun/kinky stuff.

    Once I realized that was the appeal for many, it became clear, you know. Here I'd been thinking they were upset at being in trouble or upsey about disobeying their Dom/Top/Master but noooo. They were enjoying it, in that backwards, strange way that so many things can be enjoyable in TTTWD.

    Second, Dan says that there are usually two types of people who can enjoy BDSM or TTTWD or whatever...the truly simple or the very complicated. (He actually said stupid and highly intelligent but I'm not going to catch flak for his un-PC nature, lol. Besides, intelligence is relative to circumstances and the criteria used. "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King", etc.)

    Anyway, I know that for us, and for most (I'm assuming), to do the kinds of things we all do, most of us have the ability to hold and believe in two opposing viewpoints; when Tom is exercising his sadistic side, there is still the part of him that loves you and cherishes you. And they mesh and merge and blend but they are two different things.

    When Dan humiliates me and slaps me, I am convinced I am beneath him and I become quite abject at the time (which is a huge turn on for me (and him!) and yet later we will be canoodling on the couch and he folds me into his arms with such love...

    So I think for the many people who find it difficult/impossible to understand, the "vanillas", I think they don't have that ability. You either love or you don't, you either worship someone or revile them.

    Believing and holding as truth both together is just too hard. Like saying "up" is "down"; they can't wrap their heads around that.

    Now you see why I don't use "intelligent" and "stupid". Plenty of intelligent people can't grasp the appeal of BDSM; doesn't mean they are stupid.

    But perhaps it means they just lack that ability to believe in two different things at once.

    It seems to me there should be a third category; real, fantasy and a new word that means a blend of the two.

    Dunno. I ramble. :) Thanks for the meanderings! :)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.