Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

2/22/2010

Unattractive?

We've had another appearance by the ubiquitous Anonymous Commenter.  As with most of these encounters, this particular participant in the life of this blog elevates the level of the conversation with this little gem --

sooooooooooooo unattractive!
I was wondering if this was a joke blog.

Let me begin by extending a hearty "thank you!" to this charming visitor to our little home in the  blogosphere.  I've been feeling a significant dearth of things to talk about here lately.  One of the stressors of writing a blog like ours for years and years is that, over time, it can feel like there is very little left to say.  Yet, the readers remain, and one comes to feel some obligation to maintain the conversation...  What to say?  So... tonight, we'll talk about the perceptions of the poor, squicked anonymous person.

I wonder how many people, like our unfriendly commenter, wonder if this blog is some kind of joke.  Really.  I'm not sure exactly what that might mean... There are joke blogs.  They have names like "FunnyJokesBlog."  A very simple Google search will provide ample "joke blog" resources.  It isn't complicated.  Check it out:
This blog, on the other hand, has its occasional moments of high humor, but in general, it is the chronicle of our lives -- surgeries, illnesses, loss, joys, triumphs, work, laughter, celebrations, and a myriad vagaries that make a family what it is.  I suppose that there are people who cruise the cyber biways looking for people to whom they can somehow feel superior, and then make the judgement that those lives are "jokes."   I'd say that is just pitiful.  Consider -- Anonymous has no identity, and no life experience to share with any of us.  There are plenty of ordinary people who choose not to share their lives in a blog format.  That is entirely reasonable, but most of those people don't go out looking for other people to belittle.  It is one thing to lead your life quietly and privately.  I can respect and understand that.  Wandering about looking for targets -- oh shame!

Oh, but...  The intended dagger in this little insignificant snip of a comment was that bit about "unattractive."  I'd bet just about anything that our Anonymous commenter is female, because that is so classically the mode of woment stuck in junior-high-girl-clique-playground-bully-mode.  Smack another woman with a negative evaluation of the physical attributes.  In our oh so constrained society, the very narrow delineations of what constitutes physical beauty can be used to count coup on an adversary.  Hence, Anonymous declares that I am sooooooooo (many o's) unattractive.  Zing!

Except that barb has no sharpness for me.  I absolutely know that I am not classically beautiful.  I have a face full of character; perhaps too strong for a woman, but filled with the signs of who I am and what I think and how I am in the world.  I'd not trade it for some air-brushed model-pretty painted face.  I am a mature woman with a body that is no longer young and perky like a 20 year old.  I've got curves and saggy places.  I bear the marks of the pregnancies I carried, and I have my share of scars and blemishes.  They are the marks of a life lived fully.  Very few real women arrive at the age that I've achieved without a mark or two.  Judge that my physical presence is unattractive, and I'll challenge you to look with eyes that have not been taught to look at beauty the way the marketing industry teaches us to see it.  I wonder if that sort of perception is within the realm of someone like anonymous...  Probably not. 

Maybe, the unattractive comment was not aimed so much at my lovely nakedness as at the whole idea of the life I lead.  Perhaps, anonymous is repulsed by the very nature of my BDSM lifestyle and polyamorous love.  There are, to be sure, many, many people who do not understand or embrace the sort of alternative lifestyle choices that I make.  I know that, and accept that.  I even respect that, and I value those who have different life paths that have shared the journey with me.  I believe that we have learned from each other and benefited from our odd and wondrous friendships.  Of course, people like Anonymous don't "get" that friendship thing.  Friendship is about relationship, and that requires a willingness to be available and vulnerable to others.  It means that we risk being known and seen with all our glories and all our flaws -- trusting in the care and compassion and understanding of our friends.  I'd imagine that anonymous doesn't know anything about all of that.  It is all surface for the likes of that one.  So sad.

So... I'll go on writing the jokes and the truths of my life.  Presumably, anonymous won't be back.  Why would they come to visit here?  Or perhaps there is something that draws them here after all.  Could it be that a life honestly lived, fully embraced, openly described is attractive after all?

swan

12 comments:

  1. anonymous is obviously an idiot.

    Hugs to you all,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't often comment here but I do check in. The last time I saw a picture I was thinking how nice it is to know that there are real people here and not 20 year old size 2 models. I love that you all seem to care for each other - that's where you are beautiful. It's impossible not to react internally to what silly people might leave in comment but just assume they have the social skills of a two year old and simply don't know any better.

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impish18:26 AM

    Anonymous doesn't even see the irony that your life is so full and rich while hers/his is so empty that sitting on the computer or Iphone sending insults to a stranger seems worth the time it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon comments I get them as well. But as you said it isnt any wonder that they hide behind who they are to atack those that share their lives so openly and honestly. I ignore all those comments because I dont live like anyone else and why should I. I live for me and mine and that makes us beautiful and happy. Just because it doesnt fit in someone elses closed way of thinking doesnt mean it isnt right or good. I dont live like you I couldnt myself be poly but I admire that you can and you have a wonderful relationship with all its up and downs as any. I enjoy your blog and will continue to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PK -- We are surely "real" here, and there isn't a single size 2 in the bunch, although Himself is a very cute men's size medium these days.

    As for anonymous "not knowing any better," I just don't buy it. Being mean and nasty requires intent. It isn't equivalent to that "clueless" thing that some people manage. Cluelessness is sometimes irritating, but it is almost never mean-spirited. A person has to MEAN to be mean.

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Actually...I am a 41 year old sexually submissive woman. I am a size eight, not a two, and I invest time, effort, and money daily to be the most beautiful and healthful version of myself that I am capable of being. My appearance is a pleasure to both myself and my partner, who is very proud of my looks, and expects me to look my best. I am not "model beautiful" but I make the most of what nature has given me by taking excellent care of myself. So it is very difficult to understand why a woman who posts nude photos of herself would not be more concerned with her appearance. I would suggest she work out to lose weight and tone her body, or at a minimum wax the heavy growth of hair off her forearms!
    For the record, I am a college educated, self-employed professional. I came to your blog out of curiousity and a certain affinity and came to wonder if it were real due to the physical appearances of the bloggers. There is nothing attractive about sagging flesh and cropped hair on a woman, no matter her age. However, I must applaud you for your bravery, lack of inhibition, and willingness to display yourselves as you are. PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I'll challenge you to look with eyes that have not been taught to look at beauty the way the marketing industry" - and that's why you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damiensgirl9:27 PM

    If said comment had no barb for you (we all know you are real) why feed back to the negativity, thats what she wants. Let all the anonymous go, awnser to noone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:56 AM

    ...'came to wonder if it were real due to the physical appearances of the bloggers'???

    This is without a doubt the stupidest comment I've ever read on the interwebz EVER. Stupid. stupid. stupid.

    What a complete idiot!

    I came to find out more about this anonymous person, and while there is SO much more ammunition in that comment ... it really isn't worth it. That one sentence will have me laughing for days. I fully intend to tell all my friends about it and I hope the anonymous posters ears burn for weeks.

    Just hilarious!

    Belladonnax

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impish110:10 AM

    "Beauty is as beauty does"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Swan
    As you very well know I rarely comment.

    But I wanted to take the time to tell you I think you are a beautiful woman and I Thank You for sharing your life's up's and down's with Me and butterfly.

    The blogs you have written/picture's you have posted make it seem like your sitting across the room chatting with a long time friend.

    Thank You for being you and sharing your life with those of us in the lifestyle.
    Master JB

    It is sad there are those in the world who really believe they must look a certain way for others to like them.When really all they need to do is be them selfs.
    Master JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:36 PM

    Curious and Friendly here again.

    i just wanted to say that I think that you're beautiful because you so freely express yourself on this blog.

    And, I'm kind of curious, if anonymous spends so much time taking care of herself, then doesn't that take away from the time she could be taking care of her partner? Doesn't that kind of defeat her purpose of defining those roles in her relationship?

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.