Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/15/2010

Later at Night with Bob Dylan


"An Irishman is never drunk as long as - He can hold onto one blade of grass and not - Fall off the face of the earth"

In my last post, I spoke to the simple joy and pleasure that He and I shared last evening as we sat together on the sofa and listened to the music of Bob Dylan.  It was wonderful and happy and very sweet.

But, as the evening wore on, He spiraled further and further and further into the fury and frustration and despair that was so much a part of His experience as an anti-war activist in the Vietnam era.  The music reaches into some wounded place in His soul that I cannot ever heal no matter how much love and devotion I might pour into the effort.  I've seen this before, and I always know when I see the disintegration begin to happen. 

It is always fueled by alcohol.  Master is Irish, and the Irishman drinks a bit.  Rather more than a bit, if the truth be told.  He likes the taste of alcohol, and He drinks rather deliberately, and extravagantly, because He enjoys it.  He stopped drinking, entirely and on medical advice, for months after the bariatric surgery.  When the recommended period of abstinence had passed, He went back to using alcohol -- sparingly in the beginning, and then in increasing quantities.  It is not unusual, these days for Him to become quite loopy by the time we are ready to head for bed.  I am accustomed to steering Him off toward the bedroom, and making sure He is safely tucked in for the night.  Last night was different.

Last night, as Dylan screamed the coded lyrics that dragged Master back to the anti-war demonstrations of His young adulthood, He drank -- and drank -- and drank.  Eventually, He began to lose track of the clear boundary between the present and the past.  As I watched, He traveled back in time in His mind, and then He was there -- in the streets, throwing rocks at cops, believing that He would likely die, and prepared to do that as long as He took many of "them" with Him.  Soon, He was thrusting and parrying at the empty air with His knives -- fully engaged in the never-quite-past battles of His youth.

I was not part of that life, and I still am not part of it to this day.  When He goes to that place, He forgets who I am.  That's what finally happened last night -- He looked at me, bleary-eyed, and said, "We have the potential for developing a relationship... if only we had time."

That's when I decided it was time to try and maneuver Him off to bed.  I pulled the covers back, and cleared the path. I filled His drink bottle and set it on the night table, and then I went to try and get Him off the couch and to bed.  It took some real doing; lots of heavy-lifting and cajoling, but I finally manage to heave Him up on unsteady feet.  He took two steps toward the bedroom, and staggered out of my arms, falling to the floor.  He flailed around, unsure where He was, or what had happened, but still clearly afraid that "the legal people" were about to burst in and arrest Him.

I could not lift Him off the floor.  I tried to roll Him onto a blanket thinking I might be able to drag Him into the bedroom -- no dice.  I sat on the floor in front of Him, holding His face in my hands, and told Him how scared I was and how desperately I needed Him to help me help Him.  I thought about going to get T to help me with Him, but knew she had to be up early this morning to go for an important job interview.  I screamed at Him -- calling Him a drunken asshole.  And I cried.  Nothing helped.  Master remained exactly where He'd fallen -- on the floor.

Finally, I decided if I couldn't get Master into bed, maybe I could get the bed out to the living room where He was.  I went into the bedroom, stripped the linens off the mattress, and began the process of wrestling our king-size mattress out to the living room.  It flopped one way and then the other and I pushed and pulled and kicked and sweated.  It took a very long time, and I nearly gave up in frustration more than once.  But my Master was lying on the floor, and I had to do something.  Finally, I managed to drag that monster mattress out to the living room and get it into position on the floor not too far from where He lay.  I made it up with sheets, pillows and blankets, and then went to see if I could manage to somehow get Him up onto it.

It took a lot of talking and pulling and heaving, but I finally succeeded and got Him into bed.  I tugged and pulled and got Him undressed -- no easy feat, and covered Him up.  I went to turn the lights off, and just as I returned, He looked at me and said, "I need to pee."  Right. 

I'll spare you the details of that dance.  It is enough that I did get Him finally situated in bed, and settled down to sleep.  I finally peeled out of my clothes, drenched in sweat and completely out of breath, and collapsed into bed beside His unconscious form.  I didn't sleep much, worried if He'd be alright.  At 7 AM when the alarm went off, He was better, but not really good.  I tried to get Him up to go see T off to her interview, but it just wasn't going to happen.  Thank goodness, she came in to see us before she left.  Oddly, she was so focused on her upcoming interview that she didn't even notice that king-size mattress in the middle of the livingroom floor. 

I am aware of the sorts of judgements that might accrue in many quarters about all of that.  We've run into more than a few lifestyle types who have chosen not to have much to do with us because of His relationship to alcohol and my acceptance of that.  If there is one hard rule throughout the various and divergent parts of our BDSM community, it is that BDSM and alcohol don't mix.  For me, that has just never been the case.  I am His, and forever in His service.  That means that there are times when I must cope with how to care for Him and meet His needs when He is completely out of His mind drunk and completely unaware of the service I render.  That, too, is part of my slavery. 

swan

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    How can a man who is not in
    control of himself presume to control a woman? Drinking is one thing, but drinking to the point of not recognizing the poeple closest to you is something else entirely. It is a sign of weakness.
    My master drinks very lightly, but he would never reach a point where he would be unable to be in control and care for me.

    Swan, I think you are an enabler, co-dependent, and have a martyr complex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen6:57 PM

    Well, harsh words from annon...but, I can hear the silence...I think perhaps some of us were pretty stunned by your post. I do not presume to speak for anyone but myself..having said that, I, in all my years of reading, did not realize that Tom had a drinking problem.....I, who let it be noted, love a glass or two (or three) would certianly be brought up short if I found myself lying in the living room on my mattress....perhaps the great weight loss was a contributor...It was a harrowing post....

    My best to you all,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen -- First of all, thank you for at least attempting to phrase this in reasonable and respectful terms. I understand that this sort of raw, naked reality is difficult to read and absorb. Not all of what is true about our lives is easy to talk about, and I imagine it is not easy for others to see either. We don't write only the easy, nice parts of our lives here. Never have.
    You make the judgement that what happened here on Sunday evening is indicative of what you call "a drinking problem." I am aware that the commonly accepted view of things would back you up, but I don't live my life according to the usual social norms. I had a difficult evening because of His use of alcohol. That does not constitute a "problem" in my lexicon. Your judgement is yours, but it does not have to be a judgement that I accept.

    Perhaps His use of alcohol on Sunday evening was more problematic because of the changes in His metabolism due to the weight loss surgery. Perhaps it is a symptom of some sort of mostly latent PTSD response to the horrors that He witnessed so many years ago. Perhaps it was a way of blowing off steam and relieving some of the stresses that have been building in His life for these last months. Probably, there was some of all of that at play. Whatever might have triggered His dive into the depths on this particular occasion, I don't see that there is a "problem" here. He is well. I am well. Our family is fine and happy and in love. We all function in our lives just fine.

    Our truth is our truth. Think what you will about it. Do not make the choice to live as we do if it doesn't work for you and yours. There are plenty of lifestyle options out there that we eschew, however, I don't think that I have any call to assume that all of THOSE people have some sort of "problem."

    swan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:06 PM

    Sounds like a whole lot of justifying, Swan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:50 AM

    Respectfully, Swan, I think Karen & other readers (myself included) concluded he has a drinking problem based on your own words:


    "It is always fueled by alcohol. Master is Irish, and the Irishman drinks a bit. Rather more than a bit, if the truth be told. He likes the taste of alcohol, and He drinks rather deliberately, and extravagantly, because He enjoys it. ... When the recommended period of abstinence had passed, He went back to using alcohol -- sparingly in the beginning, and then in increasing quantities. It is not unusual, these days for Him to become quite loopy by the time we are ready to head for bed. I am accustomed to steering Him off toward the bedroom, and making sure He is safely tucked in for the night."

    "We've run into more than a few lifestyle types who have chosen not to have much to do with us because of His relationship to alcohol and my acceptance of that....I am His, and forever in His service. That means that there are times when I must cope with how to care for Him and meet His needs when He is completely out of His mind drunk and completely unaware of the service I render."

    Of course, no two people are alike, but I have had people close to me whose drinking could be described in a similar fashion, and at some point most of them personally concluded that they had a drinking problem. That is why I jumped to this conclusion, and perhaps why others did as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:01 AM

    I have to agree with the others Swan. Sounds like he is an alcholic. I have several of those in my family tree and no two are alike. If you were to attend an support group for those living with alcohol abusers you would find out that he does fall into the catergory" functional alcholic" which means they can attend work,go on with their daily lives but still have to drink. As long as you and T are willing to put up with his behavior he will continue to go on as if he does not have a problem. I'm not judging-it is not my place to judge. I'm just trying to share some of my personal experience and knowledge. Always take care of yourself. Be safe. Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swan,

    To help explain my point of view, let me first say there are multiple cases of alcoholism in my family: both my grandfathers, my father, mother, 2 sisters, step-dad, hell, probably even me if you take the common definition of an alcoholic (anyone who drinks alcohol to get drunk or buzzed.)

    Having explained my experience with such, let me offer my support to you all. I agree completely with you, Swan. In my opinion, your Master does not fit the definitions the other commenters have passed out, with all due respect to them. Having read this blog for some time, this is the first indication I've had that He drinks often; which shows there isn't a huge issue at all. Nor do I consider you and T enablers. He is who He is, you are who you are, T is who she is, and you all live your lives together.

    I think it's brave and admirable of you to post not only the good, but also the bad. And I'm sure you don't need it, being secure in your relationship, but you have my support and understanding.

    (And for the record, it's entirely possible the comments were few in fear of starting a flame war over opinions of alcoholism.)

    butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  8. butterfly, thank you for your preceptiveness. I have remained silent here knowing that there is nothing one can say to people who have branded you an alcoholic that will not result in people thinking you are in denial, or rationalizing, or justifying, or employing some other defense mechanism, or simply acting out "your disease." The funny thing is I have a Master's Degree in rehabilitation counseling so I know how that game works very well. The fact is one cannot prove a null hypothesis which is exactly what the exercise is in trying to convince people, who are sure you are an alcoholic, that you aren't. There is nothing you can say that doesn't "dig the hole deeper."

    I do drink regularly and typically more or less moderately. I did quit for 9 and a half months before and following my bariatric surgey last March 23.........not a very typical alcoholic behavior....and quit by the way without any particular angst or withdrawl symptoms. I simply stopped.

    I think what caught me that night is what I was warned about as a post bariaric surgery patient who consumes alcohol. After a Rouen Y Gastric Bypass surgery alcohol you consume is "dumped" raw and unprocessed into your blood stream. Its intoxicating effects are magnified dramatically. You feel much more intoxicated much more quickly than with a normal gastro-intestinal system. The other side of that equation is you process your alcohol very quickly and the effects from a drink(s) are essentially gone in 45 minutes after your last drink.

    That night for whatever reason (sue says from now on I have to listen to Peter, Paul, Mary for a 60's/70's peace movement nostalgia trip.....no more Dylan:) I drank excessively and quickly. My body never had a "45 minutes" to recover and I became unbelievably drunk. As I read of other bariatric surgery patients who drink I am not alone in having made that error. It is not one I'm likely to pursue again. My god was I ill last Monday and Tuesday! I'll not go back there. And then there is the sadness I feel for what I put my swan through and making myself vulnerable to the "anonymous's" of the world. That is aversive enough to prevent reoccurrences as well.

    So thank you for your perspective and understanding. I have learned a great deal from this experience and look forward to never repeating it.

    All the best,

    Tom

    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.