Contact Info --

Email us --



Our Other Blogs --
We are three adults living in a polyamorous triad family. The content here is intended for an adult audience. If you are not an adult, please leave now.

3/02/2010

What is Sexual Submission?

I've spent a bit of time in the last couple of days mulling over the rather amazing comment stream that poured forth here in response to some judgemental comments made by an anonymous commenter.  I don't want to get back into discussion with that person.  There seems very little point.  I do, however want to thank all those who stepped into the fray with words of affirmation and encouragement, and I want to speak to a part of that discussion that went largely unnoticed in all the dust and fuss -- the nature of submission/slavery itself.

That was the one bit of all the nonsense that "anonymous" spewed all over the place that really caught my attention:  "I am sexually submissive."  My immediate reaction when I read that; the reaction that has lodged in my brain and will not go away:  "Really?  What the heck does that mean?"

I don't think I have ever, once, thought or said that I am "sexually submissive."  Something about the phrase causes me to have a mental sort of jerky whiplash sensation.  I cannot find a place where that expression makes intellectual or emotional sense to me.  It bothers me on levels way deeper than the simple linguistic parsing.

Mistress Steel actually addresses the topic:  "A sexual submissive is a person who manifests submissive traits only in direct connection with sexual arousal and release. In all other aspects of their life this person will probably comport themselves in a manner that is neutral or indistinguishable from a nonscene related person, vanilla.
There is one line of thought that a sexual submissive may be more closely related to a scene fetisher than to a submissive who is submissive throughout the scope of their life."

There it is.  The definitive description of the picture I get in my head when someone says that they are "sexually submissive."  When I hear that self-labelling, I think of someone who does "this" for kicks.  It is a way to spice up an otherwise ordinary, and perhaps mundane, sex life.  It isn't grounded in honestly lived power-based roles.  It isn't part of an over-arching philosophical or spiritual view of ones' life.  It isn't the manifestation of an essential sexual / erotic orientation.  It is just a bit of play-acting; the sort of cowboys and Indians dress-up game that generations of children have engaged in from time immemorial. 

I don't get "sexual submission," because I don't DO "sexual submission."  Oh...  I surely submit and serve within the context of our sexual relatedness.  But it isn't something that is noticeably different than my submission when I am fixing His lunch, pouring His coffee, ironing His shirts, or finding His latest lost whatever...  It isn't different in quality or character than my submission to His will in the context of our SM play.  It is all part of the same thing.  For me, it all stems from the committment to obedience to His will.  I sometimes enjoy the things we do together, but there are times when I don't.  I sometimes take sexual pleasure out of our intimate relating, but not always -- and it doesn't matter one way or another.  It is still woven into the very fabric of our lives together. 

I see the sort of relatedness that can be defined as "sexually submissive" as inherently self-focused and self-serving.  That seems entirely reasonable and entirely appropriate for those for whom it works.  People enter into all sorts of relational dances, and I'll admit that I am a true clutz when it comes to knowing the steps for most of those gambits.  I don't mean to judge here.  There are as many ways of relating as there are people involved in the act of relating.  What I do -- what He and I do is perfect for us, and so very far from being good or right or workable for most of the rest of the world. 

Contrary to what has been implied here in the last couple of weeks, I do work to maintain myself -- I work to maintain what belongs to Him.  I fit that in within the context of my days; within the limits of what else is demanded and required so that He has what He wants and needs to ease His way.  To do that, I usually make use of stolen bits of time, and self-care routines sandwiched in between dozens of everyday and ordinary tasks that haven't got the patina of glamour and glitz that might appeal to the "sexual submissive."  Sometimes, when life has been particularly intense, when the demands have been steady and heavy, when there's been very little in the way of time to "steal," I look in the mirror and see the marks that show the years and the general wear and tear of life lived with few frills.  As has been noted repeatedly by my anonymous judge, taking care of oneself can be expensive and time consuming.  I am given all I need for my own well-being, but I steward our families resources with care.  That too, is about taking care of what is His. 

It is all about focus.  Him?  Or me?  Him?  Or me?  Him?  Or me?  Over and over and over, through the course of my days, that is the measure of the choices I make.  It is what keeps me from being a "sexual submissive."

swan

8 comments:

  1. Keeps me from being a sexual submissive too.

    hugs,
    mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya know swan........ way back when..... i labeled myself sexually submissive - i didn't necessarily mean in a BDSM way....... just that i was too shy - or something - to initiate any sexual relations with my partner.

    Now he could ask for something and i would (for the most part) be more than a little enthusiastic ...... but i couldn't just "do it" without being asked/told. i guess it had a whole lot to do with this silly "good girl" image that had been drummed into my head.......

    you know what i mean "good girls" don't do IT.

    It didn't take long ..... nor was it much of a leap .. to move from submissive in the bedroom to submissive in my life.

    For me....... sexually submissive was my starting point.......

    (btw i am not debating your blog.. i totally agree with you - but it did get me thinking about where i come from)

    morningstar (owned by Warren)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried to make the D/s stuff work outside the bedroom, we really did, 24/7 for years, and we had a great deal of enjoyment and fun with it but it just stopped working. It became exhausting and not fun. We fiddled with it and tried different approaches but frankly, I think now looking back, we just got tired of it. It became more trouble than it was worth. We slowly dropped it by mutual agreement.

    Sexually, though, I can still only orgasm to the thoughts/actions from being dominated and/or humiliated, either in my mind or in reality. I cannot come any other way. That is very real. But in the rest of our lives, we are no different from millions of other couples in the way we relate to one another. I do things for him, he does things for me, we both tease each other, we both share duties, chores, etc. He still has the final say, but a lot of couples have that too and they don't label themselves as submissive and dominant.

    When we were trying to do D/s in a strict, formal way it always felt a little bit "playacting" on a certain level. I could never get past that part. It would always bother me later on and I'd question myself endlessly about it. Not fun.

    So yeah, I think of myself now as a sexual sub, since my sexuality is still inextricably wrapped up with being submissive. But the rest of me, of us? Not so much. I mean, we tried it for a long time, because it seemed like *such* a good idea and for a long time we both loved it but...it's faded now and become only sexual.

    And I don't really miss it; as I said, it became more trouble than it was worth after years and years of it. That's just us, I'm not talking about anyone else, just our situation.

    However, my sexual submissiveness is still very valid. :) Oh yes, when I come, I come like crazy; that part's still very sub. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are one of the most beautiful human beings I've ever known. You are kind and smart and funny and that absolutely shines from your eyes and your smile and your words here...That's true of each one of the clan here. You are all beautiful good people and you steward each other with great generosity and love. It shines from you.

    That's something to be incredibly proud of and I'm very grateful to be your friends. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greenwoman!!!! You are back! Hooray!!!

    I am hoping that means that you are healing and gaining strength, getting back to life and the world that you are a part of. It is so good to see you here.

    Oh, and... I am so very glad to count you as friend.

    Hugs, swan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:35 PM

    If I understand you correctly, no one is really living honestly or fully except you and your clan. Because I work to maintain my appearance, evidently I am not truly submissive in your mind and those of some of your readers. And although I do these things for myself, my partner also holds me to a certain standard. You could consider that another form of submissiveness, if you were not making up your own rules and stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Lord, anonymous is not gonna go away, is it? Wonder what kind of a thrill it gets from continually commenting with such ugliness...

    Shrugs, not that we care. I just find it weird. Loved the blog btw, oh and the pictures from the earlier blog. I hope you got your spanking bench issues worked out.

    butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impish112:56 PM

    I get sexual submissiveness. I get a lot of things I don't participate in, but this one is easy for me because it comes pretty close to fantasy bedroom for me. Him in charge, dominantly powerful. Sounds good. Everyday life, I know I'm not cut out for that 24/7. I don't want to run the show, but I want a cooperative say in how we run our life. Neither one of us tells the other one what to do. Would I be okay if he were more pushy in some areas? I'd love it...but for me: I know it's a sexual fantasy. It makes me weak in the knees. However, the second I really did not agree, I'd be mad, stubborn, and would not comply. That would pretty much end the bedroom fun altogether. Sigh. That's the problem with a fantasy - shake it out in the light of day and it becomes unworkable. Others live this just fine, but in our life wouldn't work for me...and that's without the part where he'd not be interested. Part of what I enjoy on the net is learning about what others do. It's really stretched my horizons. Throwing rocks while participating...still can't figure out why someone would do that.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Enter the conversation with us.